PDA

View Full Version : Updated my Leggy

Rossco Type-S
15-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Traded my 97 leggy in for a 2000 model today.

New one is much nicer to drive, but bloody slow compared to my old one.

bradc
15-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Looks nice :D Any interior pics? Does it have Recaro's?

What mods did your old one have to make it faster than the new one?

Rossco Type-S
15-06-2006, 07:12 AM
No recaros. No traction control either!

My old one came in from Japan modded. Ralliart exhaust. HKS air filter and chipped. I guess it must have been 320 HP it could get off the speedo very easily.

I have been trying to import a 99/00/01 model for ages, but I couldn't find one without under body rust. This one was advertised in todays paper for $12,990 so I snapped it up.

Nick VR4
15-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Nice looking car

I'll guess your be upgrading a few things then :2thumbsup

bradc
15-06-2006, 08:14 AM
$12990 is a steal!
When you say the old one was chipped, do you know what sort it actually had?

Rossco Type-S
15-06-2006, 08:56 AM
$12990 is a steal!
When you say the old one was chipped, do you know what sort it actually had?

I know. If I had managed to find one to import I would have only saved about $1000. Cars are a bit cheaper down here. Especially with all of the dealers struggling.

I have no idea what the chip was. At first I only knew it was chipped because the speed limiter was gone. It wasn't till I drove the facelift with 280HP that I realised how powerful the old one was.

Xeroid
15-06-2006, 09:50 AM
We've got a couple of VR4's, both 2000, mines a Leggy, doesn't take too much to make it get up and go. Mines unchipped but a decent exhaust helps heaps on launch, lets it breathe. No TCL on either of ours either, it's all part of the AYC anyway.

Rossco Type-S
16-06-2006, 06:34 AM
Picked her up this morning. Did any of you know they are now doing 5 digit license plates. 3 letters 2 numbers.

Spirit
16-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Might be worth doing an ECU reset on it Rosco, may have never had one.

Don't worry about no TC, I had it on my old VR4 but not on the current one - don't miss it a bit.

Lovely looking car BTW !

Rossco Type-S
16-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Not worried about the lack of TCS, always used to turn it off anyway. It doesn't achieve anything in an automatic 4wd.

bradc
16-06-2006, 09:24 AM
I've seen quite a few number plates starting with D that have only had 2 letters, I'm sure you'll have the new font too on your plate.

VR4 MAD
17-06-2006, 12:41 AM
I've seen quite a few number plates starting with D that have only had 2 letters, I'm sure you'll have the new font too on your plate.

I too thought there wasn't any "3 and 2" plates until I saw one a year ago and suddenly they were everywhere I looked! I must have just not been seeing them before that, cause since seeing that first one, I've seen them from 'A--' plates on.

BTW, what's with the new font for the plates? Why did they change it:inquisiti
Don't much like the new one IMHO. What say you.

:thinking:

bradc
17-06-2006, 01:08 AM
I think the numbers are slightly shorter on the new font. They probably changed it to make the numbers easier to read on speed camera photo's and stuff :(

Rossco Type-S
17-06-2006, 01:49 AM
I too thought there wasn't any "3 and 2" plates until I saw one a year ago and suddenly they were everywhere I looked! I must have just not been seeing them before that, cause since seeing that first one, I've seen them from 'A--' plates on.

BTW, what's with the new font for the plates? Why did they change it:inquisiti
Don't much like the new one IMHO. What say you.

:thinking:

Yeah I had never noticed them either, once I realised mine had them I turned around and the Audi parked behind me had a 5 digit plate starting with BW...

My guess for the new font would be the same as Brads...bloody speed cameras/Grrr

Robotnik123
17-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I have been trying to import a 99/00/01 model for ages, but I couldn't find one without under body rust. This one was advertised in todays paper for $12,990 so I snapped it up.

Is underbody rust a problem with our cars? I bought a fresh import '99 VR-4 legnum last yr and it has had some rust repairs done to its underneath. They're good quality fixes though and nicely sealed however.

Rossco Type-S
17-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Is underbody rust a problem with our cars? I bought a fresh import '99 VR-4 legnum last yr and it has had some rust repairs done to its underneath. They're good quality fixes though and nicely sealed however.

It is in Japan because Legnums and other performance 4wd wagons are popular with skiers in Japan and they salt the access roads there. Trying to find ones without underbody rust is quite difficult.

Xeroid
18-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Hmmm, didn't know about the rust issue, I'd better check mine although had it up on the hoist at Muffler shop before I bought it and didn't see any that I remember but then again I wasn't looking for it either.
Was retaping front spoiler lip yesterday, I run a length of Duct Tape on the front edge to protect it a bit, but I glanced under and noticed on the exhausts and sump, lumps of clay from the dirt road we drove to photo Rotorua Rally 2 weeks ago. The access road was used as Stage 1 the day before and was badly rutted up so must have picked up some clay when she bottomed out a few times, still stuck there after all the rain we've had, amazing !!

Rossco Type-S
18-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Out of all of the VR4's I enquired about in Japan 85% would have had underbody rust. It is hard to tell how major it was because you are going off the auction sheets, one did say minor. Of course I was only enquiring about ones that met my criteria - either facelift with meduim Kms or pre-facelift with low kms. There are hundreds of vr4s coming up every week.

Also, In a stretch of two or three weeks several had dodgy speedos, these were all 97s with 30-60kms. The auction sheets said that the speedos had been replaced. Customs would seize the car if they read the auction sheet.

bradc
18-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Where are they all getting auctioned? I know about tau, what ones do you go to?

Rossco Type-S
18-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Where are they all getting auctioned? I know about tau, what ones do you go to?

My dad is a LMVD, I use his log in for a new zealand based dealers only website, AUCSAT. They have people bidding at all of the major japanese auctions. These auctions are huge thousands of vehicles everyday. You really need to use an agent like AUCSAT to access them.

When I spot something I like, my dad enquires about it for me

Tau is basically all damaged cars