PDA

View Full Version : the working sound clip of my steering

KEENY
16-06-2006, 10:21 PM
ok im sure you know why your here but in case you dont here is the write up once again. lol

every time i turn my wheel there is there really funny noise, it sounds like a grinding type of noise crossed with a darth vader type breathing.

i have taken it to a garage and they said it was making the noise when they first drove it, they put it on the ramp and the noise had gone. they said that they looked at the stearing and the suspention and there was no problems.

for about 3 days the noise had gone but now low and behold its back.

Kieran
16-06-2006, 10:30 PM
For those of you who can't get it working (like I just had), right click save as.:scholar:

Kieran
16-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Sounds like a creaking balljoint somewhere? When they put it on the ramps, were the wheels just left dangling?

KEENY
16-06-2006, 10:43 PM
As far as i'm aware yes. Although when the car was brought down from the ramps the noise went for three days.

richy rich
16-06-2006, 10:47 PM
As far as i'm aware yes. Although when the car was brought down from the ramps the noise went for three days.
as k said

try lifting the car for a while then see if it gets rid of the noise

if so lifting the car may be relieving the pressure on the ball joints

have you checked the recall on the car.

doesnt sound good at all.

Physician
16-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Ouch! That sounds horrible.

I agree with Kieren. It's probably not the power steering pump or belt.

Get the car up on the ramps and get a jemmy to try and move the steering arms - although you may well be able to visually see if a balljoint is going/gone.

Maybe another simpler test you could do now is to drive it over a slightly bumpy road or even up a kerb at 'dead' speed (like 0.5 mph) in a straight line and see if you get any croaks and groans.

It's highly likely that getting the car on the ramps with wheels clear of contact reset the balljoints and it has now reappeared after driving.

KEENY
16-06-2006, 11:04 PM
im afraid im not the best with cars so i will take it to a garage and get them to check the ball joints out.

but yes i have noticed slight moans on bumpy roads. does anyone know how much it will cost me to get them replayced?

man my spelling is horrible, lol

Physician
16-06-2006, 11:15 PM
but yes i have noticed slight moans on bumpy roads. does anyone know how much it will cost me to get them replayced?

Independent garage it should cost ABOUT £80 for each arm. So if they have gone on both sides it will be £160.

Plus labour at say £25 per side as it's a fairly simple job.

BraindG
18-06-2006, 11:10 PM
im afraid im not the best with cars so i will take it to a garage and get them to check the ball joints out.

man my spelling is horrible, lol
Have you checked the recal status of your car?

g6acb
18-06-2006, 11:28 PM
every time i turn my wheel there is there really funny noise, it sounds like a grinding type of noise crossed with a darth vader type breathing.

That sounds more like the tardis taking off to me.... :5shots:

KEENY
19-06-2006, 05:20 AM
im the 4th owner i would hope one of the other 3 checked the recall status. but just incase how do i go about it?

g6acb
19-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Just call the Colt Car Compnay Ltd on 01285 655777 armed with your Vin number and ask them to check for outstanding recalls

Hope you get it sorted.....

KEENY
20-06-2006, 06:23 PM
my ball joint has been fixed and the horrible noice has gone.

however the stering is still heavy and the steraring wheel still strugles to return to central.

its no good im just going to take the car to mitsubishi and let them have a look.

KEENY
20-06-2006, 06:27 PM
oh and as for the recall i phoned 2 numbers that i got from this forum and none of the people had a clue what i was banging on about.
so i called mitsubishi and they will have someone calling me back tomorrow .