PDA

View Full Version : galant speakers

strapping young lad
16-06-2006, 10:49 PM
can anyone tell me if the ones in my galant are any good? are they good quality ones or bog std rebranded mitsi branded ones?

also how hard is it to replace the door speakers and the tweeters?

mefinks "diesel power" is played too loud

oops!

Roberto
17-06-2006, 09:49 AM
If they are the same as the Jap VR4, they are paper coned peices of sh1t.

Replacement means stipping the doors out, not to hard, but be careful if have not done it before, it can be tricky although fairly straight forward.

Don't scrimp on the cost of the speakers, a nice set of components can make a huge difference to the sound.

Best of luck,

ps. Diesel Power is very base heavy, but goooooooooooooood/pan

J.A.P.
17-06-2006, 02:31 PM
can anyone tell me if the ones in my galant are any good? are they good quality ones or bog std rebranded mitsi branded ones?

also how hard is it to replace the door speakers and the tweeters?

mefinks "diesel power" is played too loud

oops!

Just did mine all round for £300 and the sound is miles better - new tweeters, 4 speakers (£70 per pair) and a nice active Alpine sub (£100) that fits neatly in the compartment on the left of the boot - not massive bass, but extends the sound nicely. It also fits under the driver's seat where you would be able to hear it better.

I had to get a pro to fit the tweeters and sub, as I'm crap, but I managed to do the speakers myself.

strapping young lad
17-06-2006, 10:28 PM
i would like some decent bass sounds but not lose boot space as i use it quite a bit to haul the prams and whatnot

the spot where you mentioned to put the amp is doable.. what bout a subwoofer or do you think its not needed with decent speakers?

Nick Mann
18-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Whats your head unit?
The UK G's I have owned had very nice speakers in the front, sh!te in the back. I have a Pioneer double din and infinity rears which I have moved from one car to another as I have changed. The sound was good in the UK cars, not so good in the JDM cars. All down to speaker quality in the front!

What you buy to improve your sound depends on your budget. I wouldn't buy a cheap sub - spend the money on better door speakers. If you have money to burn, buy everything and set up the levels properly!!

Whilst you have the doors apart, make sure everything goes back together snugly - bits of card to pack out loose clips can help reduce rattles.

strapping young lad
18-06-2006, 05:37 PM
its an alpine head unit i got got fitted from K&N acoustics in wigan

i had it for my discovery but ripped it out for the galant

the head unit is fine, cant remember what wattage it knocks out but i can control a sub woofer with it.

the factor of budget versus quality is my main bugbear. i want lots for bugger all.

i shall have a butchers around and see whats about

btw what size are the door speakers?

Nick Mann
18-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Speakers are 17cm.

Just look for a bargain, then! E-bay?

strapping young lad
18-06-2006, 10:31 PM
cheers nick

i will ask another question related to audio but its a new topic so new thread..

J.A.P.
20-06-2006, 08:06 AM
i would like some decent bass sounds but not lose boot space as i use it quite a bit to haul the prams and whatnot

the spot where you mentioned to put the amp is doable.. what bout a subwoofer or do you think its not needed with decent speakers?

Sorry, the Alpine thing that fits in the side boot compartment (on a wagon..) is an active sub speaker, not an amp - I got Infinity speakers which are great, but you don't get the bass extension below 60hz or whatever, this fills it in nicely. Take the point made by others that if you're on a budget, it's best to spend it on the main speakers, but it seemed a cheap compromise to me (£100 and it's easily transferable to a new car) and doesn't use up any boot space which is also essential to me.

J.A.P.
20-06-2006, 08:09 AM
btw, my speakers looked pretty rubbish (and pretty much identical) front and rear and mines a '98 UK V6-24... the new ones are a massive improvement.

strapping young lad
20-06-2006, 08:16 AM
sound cheers

i must admit though that i can get some low frequency with the factory ones now, enough to vibrate me troosas when it hits the low end
no im not talking farts!

Alscort
20-06-2006, 01:09 PM
I actually thought the Galant standard speakers were fairly good compared to the likes of Ford Focus standard speakers. Although having said that I have replaced all speakers in my car with JBL rear components Blupunkt front components and a Rockford fosgate amp and 2 JL audio 12" Subwoofers and it now sounds great. :pimp2:

strapping young lad
20-06-2006, 01:32 PM
where do you put the sub woofers?

Alscort
20-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Just wacked em back to back in the boot and wedged them under the rear seat support bar. The amp is just slotted in the first aid kit area.:2thumbsup

strapping young lad
20-06-2006, 03:58 PM
how much boot space do you lose?

could you take a picture of it please?