PDA

View Full Version : lowering springs

bruno
17-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi all.I would like to 'rack' your brains!.
I have a galant 2.5 v6 sport galant estate.I want to lower the car via the 'sport springs' route,so I have purchased some spax lowering springs.I am aware the springs are different between the est,saloon,self leveling model,but i have purchased the correct one for my model and the fronts fit fine,but what a suprise the rears are a totaly different size in diameter,(not sure if the size is smaller or bigger,sorry but my car is with the fitter at the mo)The codes match from front to rear so I am Stumped!.I don't want to throw lots of cash by fitting springs as well as shocks,that is why I am only changing the springs.Cant ring spax its a Saturday /Grrr so looking for some help from you fella's.

kind regards
Simon :happy:

ANTHONY
17-06-2006, 02:51 PM
the 1's to ask are kieran or ritch_w they know all about springs try and give them a PM ................i have just changed my springs and shocks.... i found that the shocks where shaged anyway after 5 years of wear, so i'ts proberly better to change the lot anyway.. i have a saloon

ritch_w
18-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi Bruno

are the shocks on your estate self levelling?
are the Spax springs for the saloon or estate?
can you post some pics of your springs/shocks and the spax springs so we can see the prob??

bruno
19-06-2006, 10:19 PM
ok thanks for the replys guy's,deffo got the ones for an estate......the bottom diameter of the spring is a lot smaller than the top,so the spring won't fit on the bottom seat of the shock........The tech guy @ spax seems to think I have self leveling sus,how would you tell if the springs are of the self leveling type Rich?....can't really get a good pick of the rears to show.Tried rining mitsu today but they were not sure either(even with my reg and vin number)........but he did say from the reg that a replacement shock would be £299 inc :thinking: may be selt/lev?.
Thanks for your reply's
Simon.

ritch_w
19-06-2006, 10:31 PM
hi Simon,

never actually seen self levelling shocks, so not 100% sure what they look like, but thicker diameter than normal rings a bell - mine has normal shocks so would spot any differences if u can get pic.

sounds like u have Spax estate springs for standard shocks, but u have self levelling shocks/springs fitted. I doubt u will get after market springs for self levelling shocks.

maybe someone else knows?

bruno
19-06-2006, 10:42 PM
hi Simon,

never actually seen self levelling shocks, so not 100% sure what they look like, but thicker diameter than normal rings a bell - mine has normal shocks so would spot any differences if u can get pic.

sounds like u have Spax estate springs for standard shocks, but u have self levelling shocks/springs fitted. I doubt u will get after market springs for self levelling shocks.

maybe someone else knows?
Spax do an application for self levelers Rich, only drops 20 mm on the rears though,but tbh the rears are quite a bit lower than the fronts any way,so 20 mm will be ok I think.Will try to get a pick tom.....many thanks for your help.
Simon.

bruno
20-06-2006, 09:12 PM
picture,Rich not to good will take the wheel of and get a better picture.One to be going on with.Taken underneath the rear off side!........

ritch_w
20-06-2006, 09:16 PM
looks like a normal estate shock/spring to me - i'll take a look at mine tomorrow for comparison (and try to take a pic too)

bruno
20-06-2006, 09:40 PM
bottom of the shock/seat measures 340mm,could you measure yours Ritch?.
Regards
Simon

ritch_w
22-06-2006, 10:21 AM
cant measure mine without taking the wheel off etc and i just dont have the time at the moment, however your spring looks to be the same width throughout - mine gets wider after the seat upwards (and i'm sure the 3 saloons i had were the same)

the only things i can suggest are;

* get the wheel off and take down the part no at the bottom of your shock - your dealer should be able to tell if its a normal or self levelling shock

* find a club member local to you thats willing to meet up and compare shocks / springs

pete7
22-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Rich_w

is your picture of a 2.5v6 estate rear? and what model and year?

yours gets narrower at the bottom and bruno's is sme diameter all the way down.

yours looks just like my saloon.

Pete

ritch_w
23-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi Rich_w

is your picture of a 2.5v6 estate rear? and what model and year?

yours gets narrower at the bottom and bruno's is sme diameter all the way down.

yours looks just like my saloon.

Pete

Hi Pete, Ive got a '99 Ralliart VR4 legnum (estate) with ralliart springs and i think standard shocks

Big Ian
02-07-2006, 11:54 PM
you have got the same problem i came up-with when i lowered my mate's 2.0ltr sport estate, we did a search with the rear shock's part number to see if they had been changed to S/L item's but it only came back as standard item's, even to this day (10 mth's later) he only has the front lowered!!

I-S
03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
All UK official estates have self levelling. The VR4 does not.

bruno
04-07-2006, 10:25 PM
All UK official estates have self levelling. The VR4 does not. :happy:

Not true i feel, pre 99 uk estates have self leveling,then on after it was an optional extra,(so I was led to believe),also my car has a head light hight adjustment on the dash,if it had self leveling suspension would it also have self leveling headlights? ie no manual adjustment on the dash.

,my car is a 2000x 2.5 v6 sport estate supplied by Cirencester Mitsu,and it does not have self leveling,filled the car with balast to check!.
Front lowered not the rear as tech bloke at Spax can not give me a reason why they will not fit :thinking: gave me a part refund,and I was also told to keep the rears...........any one want to lower the rear only?(on what model your guess is as good as mine).
Simon