PDA

View Full Version : Tanking up - Auto-fill off too soon !

KiwiTT
21-10-2003, 08:57 PM
This is just a niggle, not a real problem.

When filling the old car, I used to simply put in the nozzle, lock the trigger and it would fill and the trigger would click off when full, or nearly full.

However, with the VR-4, when I know it can take at least 30-40 litres, it cuts out at 10-20 litres and I have to actually hold the trigger to stop it auto clicking off too soon. When I looked down the pipe, I could see the petrol foaming, and thought the bubbles, popping could set off the auto-trigger lock prematurely.

Anyone else have a similar problem. I was thinking that the pump was faulty, but would check to see if other VR-4 owners have this problem, before reporting it to the station.

Nick VR4
21-10-2003, 09:13 PM
I get the same m8
Its all to do with the pump nozzle getting back pressure and cutting off
The VR4 nozzle to the tank has a sharpish bend that causes back pressure

In the UK you can't lock the pump trigger either

My internal washer to stop me putting in the wrong petrol has moved and I have the pump nozzle about 2 inches in tank have to be vary carefull not to spill petrol out

Its a pain in the ar$e :rolleyes:

KiwiTT
21-10-2003, 09:18 PM
5 minutes of hardship, for a week long grin, is a small price to pay.

zedy1
21-10-2003, 09:41 PM
i get that too

jtfleming
21-10-2003, 09:50 PM
This is the reason why I don't let the service station attendants to fill my car, I can fit in at least another 10 litres!!! Plus I hate them leaning on my car and putting big sploggy hand prints on my car:mad2:

Brind
21-10-2003, 11:38 PM
When opening the filler neck, there is always a tremendous release of pressure!!! I normally wait a few seconds and then put in my nozzle ;) :D some petrol stations seem to vary, some are more sensitive than others, I find if it does start playing games I simply pull the pump trigger more gently, takes a fraction longer to fill up but then it never stops on me either.

simpsonm
24-10-2003, 09:27 PM
When I worked in a pessy station along time ago we used to tell peeps to twist the nossle at an angle when filling up. This seemed to stop the back pressure.

Pescha
25-10-2003, 03:39 AM
I to get the same, I don't let the assistant do mine either, or very rarely. As I can't stand how they let the petrol drip on my car!:nono:

Cheers,
Pescha!

wirdy
26-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Brind, I think you'll find your 'release of pressure' is actually the release of tank vacuum. I get this all the time and it's completely normal. Next time you release the filler cap have a sniff for petrol fumes....no fumes = no pressure INSERT INTO post VALUES (only vacuum).
Hope that helps.

Brind
26-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Sucking is it? hmmmm ;) :D

It happens on the 200SX I drive occasionally aswell, I guess it has something to do with these sealed necks vehicles have nowadays, before there was just a gaping hole that once you finished filling you could tap the nozzle against the sides to avoid drips when withdrawing the nozzle.. why does this all sound pervy? :D

wirdy
26-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Pervy?? don't know what you're on about?.

Yep, keep all loose flesh away from the neck as you open it otherwise it may get it sucked off. Close the flap after use. :D

Kieran
26-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by wirdy
Pervy?? don't know what you're on about?.

Yep, keep all loose flesh away from the neck as you open it otherwise it may get it sucked off. Close the flap after use. :D

:bang:

zedy1
26-10-2003, 09:33 PM
LOL:D

KiwiTT
27-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Brind
... I normally wait a few seconds and then put in my nozzle ...

Tried this, I waited about 20-30 seconds and was able to fill as per normal.