PDA

View Full Version : ABS Pump upgrade

mhf
21-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Has anyone done the ABS Pump Upgrade INSERT INTO post VALUES (recall)?
I have just completed the change but still have an electronic module and connector spare from the Mitsubishi package. All else went well. I will be getting the Japanese document converted to ensure we did not miss anything.

mhf
22-10-2003, 06:21 PM
An update guys....

The electronic module goes in the steering column. All but the ABS light goes off now, I guess when I engage ABS it will go off, I'll try and let the forum know.

As a point of note: I highly recommend doing the ABS brake change. There was a recall by Mitsubishi Japan on ALL EC5A/EC5W with ABS pumps MR235928. The accumulator apparently WILL fail in time and the symptom is that your brake pedal goes all the way to the floor INSERT INTO post VALUES (NO BRAKES) there will be no signs. This is what happened to me. Luckily the Hand brake is independant.

BraindG
22-10-2003, 06:25 PM
waaah!..
wheres the code on the pump?
/runs out to car INSERT INTO post VALUES (not that theres much point :INSERT INTO post VALUES ()

thanks for that info!

Brind
22-10-2003, 07:51 PM
The ABS sensors have to be set up correctly.

If you move one wheel out of synchronization with the others, the whole system will stop functioning correctly, which is a main reason why you must not spin any wheel on an ABS equipt vehicle.
Unless you have special equipment or get someone to do it correctly to set up the system it will not function.
If the ABS light is illuminated, your ABS system won't work.

mhf
22-10-2003, 07:52 PM
The code is printed on the pump itself, if your pump carries the external accumulator you need to get it replaced. Mitsubishi was good enough to send the entire package INSERT INTO post VALUES (40pcs, master cylinder,ABS ecu, all copper line, etc.) for FREE.. yes that was for FREE. You would be responsible for the shipping though. I am attaching a pic of the pump on car

-LegnumVR4-
23-10-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Brind
The ABS sensors have to be set up correctly.

If you move one wheel out of synchronization with the others, the whole system will stop functioning correctly, which is a main reason why you must not spin any wheel on an ABS equipt vehicle.
Unless you have special equipment or get someone to do it correctly to set up the system it will not function.
If the ABS light is illuminated, your ABS system won't work.

Best I had better cut down on riding on 2 wheels around the corners then:D

Are you sure about turning the wheels? What happens when u get a wheel alignment?

-LegnumVR4-
23-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by mhf
Has anyone done the ABS Pump Upgrade INSERT INTO post VALUES (recall)?
I have just completed the change but still have an electronic module and connector spare from the Mitsubishi package. All else went well. I will be getting the Japanese document converted to ensure we did not miss anything.

Did you just contact your local Mitsubishi dealer to get the upgrade INSERT INTO post VALUES (recall)?

Pescha
23-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Ok Phew! My number is MR1927 Thank god!

Cheers,
Pescha!

mhf
23-10-2003, 12:31 PM
I am including the recall info for our cars EC5A/EC5W ...

Please check your chassis # for verfication.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/NEWS/recall/h120726/646.html
recall on tank seal.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/NEWS/recall/h140711.html
recall on tank seal.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/NEWS/recall/h131108.html
recall on ABS pump/brake system.

I hope your cars are not affected by the recall.
I cantacted a Japan parts supplier who has an exellent relationship with mitsu over there for the recall package. this was done through the company I bought my car from in Trinidad.

By the way, you will need to translate through Babelfish.

Brind
23-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by -LegnumVR4-
Best I had better cut down on riding on 2 wheels around the corners then:D

Are you sure about turning the wheels? What happens when u get a wheel alignment?

ABS often consists of a coil and magnet which is placed close to a cog tooth wheel attached to the wheel hub. As the road wheel turns, the cog wheel disturbs the magnetic field around the coil, thereby generating current pulses in the coil as the cog teeth go by. The ABS processor counts the pulses and thereby knows the speed of each wheel. It uses the speed of each wheel to detect when the car is braking and which wheels are travelling at the wrong speed and are therefore slipping.
Hence if you rotate your wheel/s and one or more goes further than the others, the sensor isn't in a correct position and therefore confuses the system and generates a fault.

There is no need to rotate a wheel when aligning them.

Driving up on two wheels could cause a problem.. :D

wirdy
26-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Hey Mark, you're scaring me now. Since reading your post about putting ABS out of synch, INSERT INTO post VALUES (when one wheel rotates further than the others); I'm not daring to turn any corners.
My daughter and I are geting bored just going up and down the driveway!

Seriously though, the ABS ain't that sensitive mate, just think why you have differentials between the wheels. As soon as you put in any steering input, all four of your wheels are rotating at different speeds anyway.
The ABS computer monitors each wheel speed independently and only compares pulse frequencies, not phases.
Still, it took forever for this life-saving system to become available on cars, when it had been available on aircraft for the last 60 years!!

enigma
26-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by wirdy

Still, it took forever for this life-saving system to become available on cars, when it had been available on aircraft for the last 60 years!!

And all this time I thought aircraft flew???!

wirdy
26-10-2003, 10:17 PM
My VR4 flies, doesn't yours?
Got my hyperdrive unit last week off E-Bay, works a treat although will have to convert my rev counter to 'rate of climb'
Don't we all just pretend we're steely-eyed pilots behind the controls of a powerful machine, chasing that idiot that just tried to cut you up?;)

Kieran
26-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by wirdy
...Got my hyperdrive unit last week off E-Bay...

:idea:

/Reaches for 'Cunning GLS plans' notebook once again...