PDA

View Full Version : space saver for brembos ???

Louis
20-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Is there a space saver that will fit over brembo brakes, does such a thing exist?,
What do new EVO's with brembos come with as a spare wheel??

Spirit
20-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Guess you have to swap another alloy for the punctured one and then put the spacesaver on that one, just means changing two wheels instead of one

bradc
21-06-2006, 02:45 AM
just put the space saver on the other way, so it sticks out from the car :D

Dream Weaver
21-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Guess you have to swap another alloy for the punctured one and then put the spacesaver on that one, just means changing two wheels instead of one

Thats what us Evo owners have to do !

bernmc
21-06-2006, 07:36 AM
So the space-saver will fit over the rear brembo calipers?

Dream Weaver
21-06-2006, 07:51 AM
So the space-saver will fit over the rear brembo calipers?

Be pointless carrying them around in an Evo if they didn't :2thumbsup

Rear Brembo calipers are a lot smaller than the fronts, In fact I believe the Brembos are a straight swap onto the VR-4 rear disc, with no need to change disc unless you want to.

As an aside, I once saw a car in the USA being driven around on four spacesaver wheels, at speed on the freeway !

Nick VR4
21-06-2006, 08:23 AM
I think some Evo guys carry that emergency tyre inflator that puts some sort of sealing compound into the tyre too

I know M3's carry one too no space for even a space saver

Kalle
21-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Hmm, did not think about that.. :thinking:
Have to check if the spare fits over the rear Brembos..

bradc
21-06-2006, 09:14 AM
The thing is that you don't want to put the spare on the rear, it will screw up your AYC. Kalle needn't worry about that, he doesn't have AYC, but the rest of you do.

Nick Mann
21-06-2006, 09:27 AM
It will screw the AYC anywhere - the rolling distance is smaller, so will register a speed difference on any wheel. For safety you should put the space saver at the back anyway. I used a space saver once, but it was only to get to somewhere to repair the tyre that had gone flat. It is not a pleasant driving experience!

I-S
21-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Why not just carry a proper spare?

WildCards
21-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Why not just carry a proper spare? :confused:

They don't fit in the recess Isaac.

bradc
21-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I won't have a spare at all, I will just have to hope I never have a flat tyre, or if I do just stop in the middle of the road so that people stop for me :) My batteries will be sitting in the spare wheel well.

Louis
21-06-2006, 08:04 PM
MMMmmmm,
Front puncture = Back on to front, and space saver on to back, and stuff punctured one back, Makes sense, (pretty obvious really, I should have thought about it first), cheers guys

Kryton
25-02-2012, 07:58 PM
So, thread from the dead - our standard space saver will fit over rear brembos? I know it's only to be used on the back & for absolute emergencies only but will it fit? Failing that, do any space savers from other cars fit & have the same rolling circumference, so worth buying?

stu
25-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Was at Nick's last weekend and he confirmed the space saver fits over rear Brembo's.

Kryton
25-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Cool, thanks :)

Jesus-Ninja
25-02-2012, 09:15 PM
You shouldn't really be running a space saver on the front anyway, primarily because you need to be able to brake in a straight line. I'm in the tyre-weld brigade though. Trouble is, the last two punctures I've had have been in the sidewall. Doh!

Kryton
25-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah I know that but just wondered if there is a contender for a space saver for the rear that will cause no damage to the ayc, especially as I have 18's & s-ayc. I am very rarely further away from my house or a tyre fitter than 5 miles but if I can find something with the same rolling circumference/diameter as my wheels, I'm guessing that will be better on the back (even for a mile) than using the factory space saver. Just wondered if anyone has found anything to do the trick?

Nick Mann
25-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Not heard of anything. I have thought about my experience mentioned above since and I wonder if the space saver I had with that car was in fact up at the correct and obscenely high pressure that they should be at.

Also, food for thought, just having a worn tyre with a new tyre on the rear axle can cause AYC activation, so having a spare that works with your road tyres is going to be tricky at best.

I can confirm what Stu said above too.

Jesus-Ninja
25-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Surely if the rolling radius is the same then AYC should be fine? I run staggered widths, and haven't had any issues, even though the rolling radii are only "nearly" the same. I'll try a space saver and report back :)

ANTHONY
25-02-2012, 09:57 PM
just been looking at this thread and nearly all the replies are from Registered User's, ex full members inc me

Louis
25-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Hellooooooo!
The space saver does fit over the rears.
The spacesaver WILL screw your rear diff. AYC pump will come on all the time, green bars on dash, and it will damage the pump.
If you fit the space saver, take out the AYC relay.
I used tyre weld in a puncture a long time ago and was told that the puncture couldn't be repaired cos I had used tyreweld in it?

Kryton
25-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I used tyre weld in a puncture a long time ago and was told that the puncture couldn't be repaired cos I had used tyreweld in it?

That's why I hate the stuff. My Volvo c70 had 18's & I got a puncture when the car was only a couple of hundred miles old. Ended up costing me a fortune to replace the tyre when a repair would have cost a fiver

Nick Mann
25-02-2012, 10:33 PM
just been looking at this thread and nearly all the replies are from Registered User's, ex full members inc me

/pan

look at the dates of the replies!

Nick - the problem is not the difference in diameter front to rear (that's a different issue altogether) but the difference in diameter between the two wheels/tyres on the rear axle.

Jesus-Ninja
25-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I see. Did Mr Mistubishi not think of this? Of is it more with aftermarket wheels etc?

Nick Mann
25-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Nope - my original post was with standard wheels on a low mileage car.

Kryton
25-02-2012, 11:28 PM
So what size would this need to be to match? Just looking through eBay, could probably pick up an evo space saver & another random one for a donor tyre to make it work (as long as you can swap the tyres - don't see why not)?

Nick Mann
25-02-2012, 11:31 PM
No idea? Is an Evo space saver a different size to ours? You can get AYC bars lighting in a straight line by setting one of your matching rear tyres to 20 psi and the other to 35. It's going to be a nightmare to get a space saver to work exactly. Get two space savers that match and put them both on!! /pan

Kryton
25-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Get two space savers that match and put them both on!! /pan
Why stop at 2? Then if I get a puncture I would only have to swap all 4 wheels & I would have no problems :D

Kryton
25-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Is an Evo space saver a different size to ours?
I think evo & gto have 17's & vr4 & fto have 16's?

Kryton
26-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Got to love wifi in bars on nights out (& crap company)

This could be useful
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Edit: other than it doesn't cover space saver sizes. Best keep looking...

Edit again: yes it does. Maybe best take a look when sober :)

3rd time lucky: no it doesn't but this does
http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%20calculator.htm

Kryton
26-02-2012, 12:47 AM
So, in theory if I buy a gto space saver (normally 135/80/17), replace the tyre with one off a ford kuga space saver (135/90/17), I will have the same rolling radius as my 245/45/18, so could then technically cause no damage, clear all brembos & go in the front?

Jesus-Ninja
26-02-2012, 01:02 AM
So what size would this need to be to match? Just looking through eBay, could probably pick up an evo space saver & another random one for a donor tyre to make it work (as long as you can swap the tyres - don't see why not)?

Use the calculator half way down this page. It's what I used to get my staggered wheels within .24% of each other :)

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Kryton
26-02-2012, 01:08 AM
That one doesn't cover 125 or 135 though :( as long as I'm looking at the right info on http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%20calculator.htm I think I'm ok? Maybe I'm best check tomorrow :5shots:

stu
26-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I have Evo IX alloys fitted with 225/45-17 tyres and the standard Mitsubishi space saver in the boot is 125/90-16.
The tyre on the Evo rim has a diameter of approx 634mm and the Mitsubishi space saver a diameter of approx 631mm, therefore with an actual difference of 3mm (.48%), am I correct in thinking (assuming my calculations are correct )
this difference is close enough to use the standard Mitsubishi space saver ?

Jesus-Ninja
26-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Well, the difference between my front and rear is .24%, but as Nick M points out, F/R is not the same as a difference across an axle. It sounds to me like anyone thinking of using a space saver should learn where the AYC fuse is :)

stu
26-02-2012, 10:30 AM
According to this website http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%20calculator.htm, the dynamic rolling radius ( calculated at 60km/h (36.7mph) ) is within 1mm and you could have that much difference just in tread wear.

CANDEE
26-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Spacesaver on the back and pull the AYC fuse - issue sorted.. lol

Adam.Findlay
27-02-2012, 11:11 PM
I have a evo 6 space saver and it fits over my front brembos..