PDA

View Full Version : Car has been stalling

KiwiTT
22-06-2006, 03:47 AM
Today, my car has been stalling when stopped in "D". Revs have been dropping to 500 then cutting stalling or jerking back up to 650.

As my car is nearly out of warranty (3 years), I am getting them to do a complete once over and also a "B" service.

In addition, I am removing the HKS Pod Filter and reverting to a standard second-hand airbox (which is better for cold air flow) and the old pod filter is very dirty anyhow.

I have booked it in with Andrew Simms - Newmarket on Monday.

OSiRiS
22-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Sounds like you got a small vacuum leak somewhere?

KiwiTT
22-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Sounds like you got a small vacuum leak somewhere?He had a quick look at that when I took it in today. I will mention that again when I bring it in on Monday. Sounds minor ?

mpau009
22-06-2006, 04:14 AM
Yeah i would say unmetered air, check the BOV piping, and the unit itself, cause if it catches on something then it can crack the plastic joiners on the recirc pipe, when mine came off the car would stall all the time as soon as you put the clutch in, and the revs would drop for a split second when you touch the gas. It was literally a case of super gluing the plastic bit back on, and connecting the pipe - back to 100%

Either that or your idle position and stepper might be dirty.

But i am sure they will be able to diagnose it for you.

bradc
22-06-2006, 06:10 AM
I would guess it would be the idle stepper motor, mine did a similar thing. Richard, when are you going to be down there? If it is at a time that suits me I might come down for a chat

KiwiTT
22-06-2006, 06:35 AM
9am Monday

bradc
22-06-2006, 08:30 AM
thats just too early for me!

Curly Kid
22-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I recently had my 2.4 Viento into Kirks is Wellington with very similar prob. They reset idle postition which didn't fix it. They inspected intake manifold & found excessive carbon buildup, which they expect to be prob. Est 8 hours to strip & clean. I was looking at VR4, so that helped me make my mind up to change

ghanda
22-06-2006, 11:34 AM
I'd be very interested to see if they find anything - as I've had this issue for months and it's driving me mad. The Stepper motor works fine - you can check this by switching on your AC or moving your steering wheel at idle - if the revs raise, it's OK.

KiwiTT
22-06-2006, 09:51 PM
The Stepper motor works fine - you can check this by switching on your AC or moving your steering wheel at idle - if the revs raise, it's OK.He did that and it did not stall. So I assume he knows his stuff. This is very comforting that he does have expertise.

konman
23-06-2006, 03:14 AM
i had this exact problem and simms in newmarket sorted it no worries. they reset the idle and cleaned all the intake pipes and manifold, done and dusted.

KiwiTT
24-06-2006, 01:26 AM
I believe my Transmission is going now. It is jerky changing up and changing down. I will get them to change the fluid and make sure they put Mitsi SPIII in it.

KiwiTT
24-06-2006, 10:28 PM
It is really jerky now. It maybe something more serious.

However, I am hopeful it is just Fluid Levels (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11072). The problems Jimbo had a similiar to mine.

Physician
24-06-2006, 11:15 PM
It is really jerky now. It maybe something more serious.

However, I am hopeful it is just Fluid Levels (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11072). The problems Jimbo had a similiar to mine.

Eeeek! Good luck Richard. What mileage is yours - not a lot if I remember correctly.

KiwiTT
24-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks Richard. Just under 120,000km (75,000 miles). It is also still under warranty and it is an "unmodified" car. i.e. all factory options.

bradc
24-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Thats no good, when was the last time you had the ATF changed?

Spirit
25-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Good luck Richard, hope both issues are nothing serious and you get them sorted ok mate

OSiRiS
25-06-2006, 02:44 AM
Hmmm.

Subaru ETA
25-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Hey mitsis are shockers for stepper motors going arse so that would def be the first place to look. if not air flow sensor?
anyway as for the trans being jerky....well mitsi autos aint **** hot on a good day and WILL need an overhaul at 110-150000kms due to the bands streatching. if the thing is just i warrenty hit them up hard until its fixed coz you dont want it to get worse and come out of your pocket!

KiwiTT
25-06-2006, 10:15 PM
if the thing is just i warrenty hit them up hard until its fixed coz you dont want it to get worse and come out of your pocket!I will do.

KiwiTT
25-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Taking it in this morning the gear-changes were really bad. It could not even find 1st. It did eventually. And I just crawled it to the dealer.

Initial Shock. If they have to pull out the box it may cost $5-6K.

Also the warranty people will need to assess it first.

bradc
25-06-2006, 11:38 PM
at least you've got it in there. It is probably cheaper to convert to a manual....

KiwiTT
25-06-2006, 11:51 PM
It is probably cheaper to convert to a manual....Cheaper maybe. But not what I want. Thanks for that anyhow.

Money is not a big concern for me these days. Having the right car (which the VR-4 is) and running well is more important. :2thumbsup

bradc
26-06-2006, 12:22 AM
I may be getting rid of my box soon, but I won't be able to do it quick enough for you unfortunately!

It is yours for $2k if you can wait a week or so. I've called Kempy's and found they can do me a manual for $1800, so once I factor in the cost of the pedal box and stuff it will work out about even for me (I'll still need a clutch though)

KiwiTT
26-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Thanks Brad. It is still under warranty at the moment. So I will see that transpires there first.

bradc
26-06-2006, 12:52 AM
ahh yep, cool

KiwiTT
26-06-2006, 02:18 AM
After they did the "B" service and replaced the Air filter box. "No Problem Found". They found some dirt in the trottle body and are cleaning that now.

bradc
26-06-2006, 02:32 AM
Good news. Did they change the ATF and do a complete flush? Are you picking it up tonight?

KiwiTT
26-06-2006, 03:20 AM
As per a "B" service they just need to check it.

They will test drive it for 1/4 hour after this and we will see. If it plays up again, I will return it straight away.

I should get it back tonight.

bradc
26-06-2006, 03:22 AM
so what did they do to actually fix it then?

KiwiTT
26-06-2006, 03:38 AM
hmmm ... don't know. I am not confident yet !

KiwiTT
26-06-2006, 05:23 AM
I have a leak and he wants me to come back in 500kms (next week) to confirm the location. Suspected to be the silicon seal around the sump. Cost to fix $200.

Kalle
26-06-2006, 11:42 PM
anyway as for the trans being jerky....well mitsi autos aint **** hot on a good day and WILL need an overhaul at 110-150000kms due to the bands streatching.

Please explain more thorough what you mean with "an overhaul" what should be done? and what do you mean by saying "due to bands streatching"?

KiwiTT
26-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Just before I had my problem manifest itself, I heard a small whine everytime the car moved. This will be my first indication to a problem as to fluid level.

Subaru ETA
27-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Please explain more thorough what you mean with "an overhaul" what should be done? and what do you mean by saying "due to bands streatching"?

long and the short of it, the bands are what hold the sun gears in place in the tranny. when the streatch the sun and plantry gears cant engage properly causing shuddering etc.
an overhaul is expensive and would get done when u start experiencing what kiwitt is! loss of drive, shuddering and slipping would tell you have problem and need an overhaul which (depening on whats wrong) get replacment seals, filters poss gears clutches and bands etc. they auto tranny is quite a complicated thing!

richy rich
27-06-2006, 07:01 PM
anyway as for the trans being jerky....well mitsi autos aint **** hot on a good day and WILL need an overhaul at 110-150000kms due to the bands streatching. if the thing is just i warrenty hit them up hard until its fixed coz you dont want it to get worse and come out of your pocket!
i disagree with this the first thing to do is a proper flush with the correct atf Ive solved this prob on more than 1 occasion and other people have solved it by doing this.

incorrect and burnt atf will cause these types of symptoms.

i know kiwitt has his under warranty but other people don't so a rebuild could be expensive and unnecessary.

thecustomer
27-06-2006, 08:28 PM
I know the sound of a whining tranny...
(is that correct Kiwi speak for a tiptronic gearbox that's struggling to find gears? ;-)

It took me an hour to bunny hop 13 miles last night - 3 miles progress, neutral light flashes, stop for 5-10 minutes to let things cool down.

What colour is your atf?
It should be red (ish) If mud coloured, then it's on its way out (I'm paraphrasing what I've read elsewhere today)
A change of atf might just be the cheapest fix...

hope that helps

Will
driving a LandRover 110 diesel for a couple of days... at least it's 4x4 & has road presence!

Subaru ETA
28-06-2006, 10:51 AM
i disagree with this the first thing to do is a proper flush with the correct atf Ive solved this prob on more than 1 occasion and other people have solved it by doing this.

incorrect and burnt atf will cause these types of symptoms.

i know kiwitt has his under warranty but other people don't so a rebuild could be expensive and unnecessary.

i agree, just in new zealand with all the jap imports we see alot of them where the previous owners have turned a blind eye to the autos for too long. they get imported here, get an additive chucked in them, and they last 20000kms. i dont know what it is like in uk/europe but yeah, thats how it is here. plus alot of people who buy cars dont even bother checking the trans fluid first.

but at the end of the day its just easier to buy a manual!

mpau009
28-06-2006, 08:20 PM
i agree, just in new zealand with all the jap imports we see alot of them where the previous owners have turned a blind eye to the autos for too long. they get imported here, get an additive chucked in them, and they last 20000kms. i dont know what it is like in uk/europe but yeah, thats how it is here. plus alot of people who buy cars dont even bother checking the trans fluid first.

but at the end of the day its just easier to buy a manual!

My experience - yes, yes and yes my STR auto had a full service and flush, but it had been neglected, and the seals burnt and internals worn, so it barely lasted 3 months./pan If anything i think the clean fluid helped finish it off.

And yes i could of, should of, and regret not making a switch to manual.

Kenneth
28-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Just to add something... Even a manual is not 100% proof of that sort of neglect... Trow blew his gearbox remember, and found it must not have had any gearbox oil since he bought it. (about 3 months or so)

KiwiTT
02-07-2006, 10:32 PM
She is in again. Same symptoms. Decided to stop driving it as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

KiwiTT
03-07-2006, 10:06 PM
They have taken the transmission out.:speechles Now to see if the Warranty will cover the repairs.:5shots:

OSiRiS
03-07-2006, 10:13 PM
They have taken the transmission out.:speechles Now to see if the Warranty will cover the repairs.:5shots:

I noticed that you have an aftermarket POD filter, and 17" wheels.

Things noted which denied my mechanical warrenty recently were the POD filter and 17" wheels amongst other things.

My total cost of repairs were in $2,800. The thread is still around here somewhere.

All the best.

KiwiTT
03-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I noticed that you have an aftermarket POD filter, and 17" wheels.POD filter is now removed. This is however, my second warranty claim.

OSiRiS
03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Just out of curiousity, what was the first warrenty claim and how did they handle that one? :)

Kenneth
03-07-2006, 10:49 PM
No offence OSiRiS, but Richard has a much better chance of having his warranty claim accepted.

You only need to look at the cars to see that Richards doesn't get the attention that yours does.
Also, his age is beneficial as is his guileless apperance ;)

OSiRiS
03-07-2006, 10:52 PM
No offence OSiRiS, but Richard has a much better chance of having his warranty claim accepted.

You only need to look at the cars to see that Richards doesn't get the attention that yours does.
Also, his age is beneficial as is his guileless apperance ;)

Why would I take offence? I was merely wishing him the best of luck with his gearbox problems as I know myself how it feels to have a financial burden like this pop up.

And I couldn't help but notice that the way you stated your post you think that I want him to have his mechanical insurance deny his claim?

No worries. Leave you all to it then.

Kenneth
03-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Why would I take offence? I was merely wishing him the best of luck with his gearbox problems as I know myself how it feels to have a financial burden like this pop up.

No worries. Leave you all to it then.

I just didnt want to seem like I was pro his claim and anti yours.
Did you contend their decision not to cover yours? Would be keen to hear what happened if you did. (but if so, please put it in your origianl thread... dont want to hijack this one)

KiwiTT
03-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Just out of curiousity, what was the first warrenty claim and how did they handle that one? :)I had a leak in my radiator and it was diagnosed by my usual service team (Auckland Motors). However, I had to take it to an approved radiator repairer and pay an excess of $300.

Thanks for your support. My car is pretty standard except for the wheels

KiwiTT
04-07-2006, 05:55 AM
A Nissan Pulsar (http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/nissan/pulsar_serie/1997_9/photo/13684/)

Oh how I miss my car.

KiwiTT
05-07-2006, 01:33 AM
I may get it back today !!! Just a few more checks to do. I'll let you know what they did as soon as I know. (and how I got on with the warranty claim)

KiwiTT
05-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Picked up today. Cost $300 excess plus MMSPIII fluid.

Kenneth
05-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Picked up today. Cost $300 excess plus MMSPIII fluid.

So you got your mech warranty... good stuff.

What was wrong with the transmission though?

KiwiTT
05-07-2006, 11:48 PM
I had a leak from the Torqe Converter seal.

KiwiTT
09-07-2006, 05:37 AM
It is going in again. It sounds as if they haven't screwed something in and it is constantly rubbing. I am not pleased at all.

Kalle
09-07-2006, 05:47 AM
I had a leak from the Torqe Converter seal.

This seems like a common problem! had it on mine too (together with a few other seals around the box).

So all VR-4 owners might want to have the seals replaced as a precautios service..

You See
09-07-2006, 06:48 AM
It is going in again. It sounds as if they haven't screwed something in and it is constantly rubbing. I am not pleased at all.
Bugger, sorry to hear that Richard. Hopefully it gets sorted right this time round. Good luck!

KiwiTT
09-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Brought it this morning. It was a loose backing plate and they fixed it within 10 minutes.