PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Chandler
22-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Got a 2002 VR4 Saloon Tip, fed up with brakes going all sleepy and shaky, been told EVO IV discs wil fit. Got standard 16" wheels,don't wanna change em-bad back-so any ideas as to best I can do with discs and pads?

BraindG
23-10-2003, 12:31 AM
http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=16139&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Roadrunner
23-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Evo IV discs are just the same as your VR-4. To improve the brakes you've got, and remain on 16" wheels, you're probably limited to changing the pad material. Better material will improve the braking at the extremes but you're unlikely to notice the difference in everyday driving. I have a personal preference for Ferodo DS2500 pads, but others have used different pads successfully.

Going to 17" wheels won't necessarily hurt your back. The tyre profile will change from 50 series to 45 series to keep the same rolling circumference and it will be a tad stiffer, but not uncomfortably so, IMO. What 17s will give you, though, is a much greater choice of brakes - you can go up to 330mm discs INSERT INTO post VALUES (from the standard 294mm); fit 4-pot INSERT INTO post VALUES (Brembo or similar); 6-pot INSERT INTO post VALUES (AP Racing or similar) or even 10-pot INSERT INTO post VALUES (Tarox) calipers, any of which will give you real improvements in braking throughout the range. I went with brakes from an Evo VII which are readily available on the second-hand market INSERT INTO post VALUES (because the Evo guys like to put on even bigger brakes ;) ) and upgraded the fronts and rears on my car for around £800 which included buying new discs for the rear.

Hope this helps :)
Brian

Chandler
28-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info,I have tried 18" wheels and they did cause me probs and seemed to upset the cars handling as well.I will proberley try evo iv discs and better pads first then see where I am from there.

Spirit
29-10-2003, 01:18 AM
A few of us have a set up that I have a local contact for to get National Racing 8 groove front discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads for approx £225 all in inc P+P - let me know if you want more info

Pete

Roadrunner
29-10-2003, 09:48 AM
That's a great price, Pete. What size are the discs?

Brian

enigma
29-10-2003, 10:11 AM
So no one likes my brakes then???? :mad:

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1496

Spirit
30-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Brian - they are standard size INSERT INTO post VALUES (294MM?) just 8 grooved. But overall the set up is half what Mitsy wants for their discs/pads.

Dave - course we love 'em mate - would have probably got your discs had I not already changed mine :D

Tedlogan
15-12-2003, 07:38 PM
A few of us have a set up that I have a local contact for to get National Racing 8 groove front discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads for approx £225 all in inc P+P - let me know if you want more info

Pete
:wtf: I've got my Legume in for a service in Mitsy Bristol INSERT INTO post VALUES (45k svce) and have been advised that the front brakes are pap and need new discs. Does your contact give a good price for discs only INSERT INTO post VALUES (standard = £254 inc fitting ex pads :grrr: )? Also need to replace n/s/f lower arm and have been quoted a leg to go with the arm from Mitsy. Anyone know where to source this item for reasonable dosh?

KiwiTT
15-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Brakes, is my next upgrade. Will do better Pads initially.

zedy1
15-12-2003, 11:39 PM
i got quoted 160 plus yat for 1 disc from dealers, these guiys make their own prices

Spirit
16-12-2003, 12:05 AM
:wtf: I've got my Legume in for a service in Mitsy Bristol INSERT INTO post VALUES (45k svce) and have been advised that the front brakes are pap and need new discs. Does your contact give a good price for discs only INSERT INTO post VALUES (standard = £254 inc fitting ex pads :grrr: )? Also need to replace n/s/f lower arm and have been quoted a leg to go with the arm from Mitsy. Anyone know where to source this item for reasonable dosh?

I guess around £140 delivered for discs only but would need to check with them.

Like Mo I was quoted a lot more than £254 - cowboys ! :noshake: