PDA

View Full Version : Guages

Paul C
22-06-2006, 12:48 PM
I have a 3 guage setup( Oil pressure, Boost, Oil Temp) with adaptor plate.I'm looking to fit them in space below the head unit as anyone done this before? Just after some tips for location of sensor fitments. The boost guage and pressure guage are relatively easy but i have been told to mount the temperature sensor in the sump plug. The only other alternative is to mount a boss to side of sump for the connection to tap in. Any ideas where i can get a replacement sump plug from so i can get it tapped first. Thanks paul c

Nick Mann
22-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Sump plugs and washers are sensibly priced from dealers.

Where are you getting the pressure from, and why can't you get the temperature from the same place?

Paul C
22-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Theres an adaptor kit that you put between the existing pressure switch and you kind of tee off that. The major problem is getting the din unit out why did they have to screw it in my life is hell at the moment.I have 3 options:

1.persevere and undo the screws.
2.Loose temper and destroy existing din as it isn't required
3.Hope that someone gives me the answer before i do number 2

Nick Mann
22-06-2006, 01:19 PM
The brackets that hold the stereo are screwed in at the back, at the bottom. The two screws are facing you. Assuming you have removed the console face, remove those two screws and the radio (If it is fitted that way) and the tray will come out with the brakets.

Also, others have fitted oil monitoring kits by putting a sandwich plate on the oil filter. Not sure if that is better than the sump plug or not!!

Paul C
22-06-2006, 01:29 PM
The orifice plate idea sounds the better option next task finding one,also i did not kill the din plate luckerly i spotted the 2 screws.

Paul C
22-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Fitted guages and piped and wired boost guage.The other 2 i'll do another day.Only radio cover toput back on.

Funkstar
22-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Looks tidy Paul. Nice job. :thumbsup:

bradc
22-06-2006, 09:03 PM
looks good mate

caishanvr4
22-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Looks like it came out the factory like that, top job paulc :2thumbsup

soapy1978
23-06-2006, 12:32 AM
looks great where you get the face plate from as was thinking of doing the same idea

darren

VR4 MAD
23-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Nice and professional looking job Paul.

BTW, what size gauges.....52mm (2") or 60mm (2 3/8"?) Not sure of the imperial size of the 60mm.

Don't think they are 60mm as they would be too big for the single DIN height slot you have yours in. Not sure though, hence the question about gauge size.

Cheers

Paul C
23-06-2006, 10:33 AM
looks great where you get the face plate from as was thinking of doing the same idea

darren

I think the company that made the face plate is called SMC it is stamped on the plate but not easy to see at the moment.I got it from my localmotorsport shop in middlesbrough :-
Triple Six Ltd

5, Cannon Park Rd, Middlesbrough, Cleveland TS1 5JP
Tel: 01642 246661

cost about £30 which i think is a bit pricey.The guages are all 2" diameter i think thisthe only size you can get for a single din unit.

Have to admit its a tight squeeze to get it in with radio.Modification is required.I chose to modify the cheapest option and that was the radio.The trim required cutting down so that the 2 units sat together with no conflicts. Ifi had an expensive headunit i would of altered the plastic surround by taking a couple of mill of the top edge other wise you cant get it in.

Axeboy
23-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Just wondering where the oil pressure sensor is fitted?

Paul C
23-06-2006, 11:00 PM
The oil pressure sensor is fitted where the existing one is with adaptor kit so you can have both at same point. I haven't done it yet but i think it is located at the back of the engine below the turbo.

Paul C
23-06-2006, 11:05 PM
looks ok with the lights out too.

mattpage
06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Where did you get these gauges from, and how much did they cost?
They look more subtle than others I've seen.

g6acb
08-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Only radio cover toput back on.

Similar set up to mine (substitute boost for volts)
How did you go with the radio cover?? I had to take a hacksaw to mine and chop the top off..... double din does not mean 2x din.. if you know what I mean?:5shots:

I had to put the radio on top as the face flips down for cd access and if the gauges were on top there wasn't enough clearance for it

Axeboy
08-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I bagged a triple holder from ebay and it worked great. It springs into a din slot and doesnt move unless you compress it slightly.

Paul C
08-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Similar set up to mine (substitute boost for volts)
How did you go with the radio cover?? I had to take a hacksaw to mine and chop the top off..... double din does not mean 2x din.. if you know what I mean?:5shots:

I had to put the radio on top as the face flips down for cd access and if the gauges were on top there wasn't enough clearance for it

Took junior hacksaw to radio to allow for better fit