PDA

View Full Version : 6A13TT - what does the 'A' stand for?

gdelargy
23-06-2006, 09:57 AM
I've been researching the various Mitsubishi engine families recently, and now have a nice spreadsheet built up with just about every variant you can think of, from the 3000GT's 6G72TT to the carb-fed SOHC 548cc in the, errr... Minica Lettuce.

However, while most of the engines are either gasoline (e.g. 4G63) or diesel (e.g. 4D65), there's two 'A' families, the 6A10-6A13, and the 4A30/4A31.

I'd originally read that while the gasoline/diesel engines are iron block, 'A' indicated an aluminium block. But I know that my own 6A12TT is an iron block / aluminium head. So, does 'A' indicate an aluminium head? And if it does, why is the aluminium-headed engine in the Lancer Evolution not known as a 4A63T?

I am confuzzled.

Best guess I can come up with is that if all the engines in the "family" are aluminium-headed, then it'll be an 'A' engine, but if there's any iron-head engines they'll denote all of them as 'G' engines. However, that's pure speculation on my part. Anyone have any more substantial info from a decent source?

Of course, now the new engine in the Mitsubishi i keicar is a 3B20, which FUBARs the whole system. D'oh!

Regards,
G