PDA

View Full Version : "stop in the name .........

psbarham
23-06-2006, 10:45 PM
of all things holy you bast@rd thing" is a familiar shout by any V6 owners and after mine decided to eat its calipers again i decided to do something about it , now with a bit of tinkering and swearing a set of EVO brembos could have been fitted , or marcus has now sorted some aftermarket kits for a resonable price , but at the end of the day the v6 is a family car ( pay attention andy /pan ) so any of those options would be a bit of an overkill .
so after a couple of phone calls i sourced a full set of pre facelift VR4 front brakes ( thanks again bern theres a blue peter badge on its way to you ) now the more observant ones among you will be thinking about 4 stud versus 5 stub , not a problem now watch and learn

before
uploaded/1031/1151145978.jpg

aaawww ain't they cute
uploaded/1031/1151146282.jpg

little and large
uploaded/1031/1151146003.jpg

almost done
uploaded/1031/1151146027.jpg

all bled up and raring to go
uploaded/1031/1151146047.jpg

ooh i think i may have suffered from unsightly chassis drag until this bit was done
uploaded/1031/1151146066.jpg

oh my god its happened on the other side as well
uploaded/1031/1151146086.jpg

Kieran
23-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Excellent! You'd never tell.

Did you just get the disc bells drilled?

What do you mean by 'ate its calipers':inquisiti

psbarham
23-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Excellent! You'd never tell.

Did you just get the disc bells drilled?

What do you mean by 'ate its calipers':inquisiti
yup i drilled the bell out using my pillar drill and some shiney new cobalt drill bits (feck they are expensive )
the bluddy thing had a habit of letting its near side caliper seize up , not enough to slow things down , just enough to heat everything up a bit , well 2 weeks ago after a rather spirited drive home i noticed a wisp of smoke out of the front arch "oh darn" (or something simliar) so out with the jack and had a look at the caliper and it had got that hot it had melted the outer dust seal .
all i need now is a set of braided hoses and some green stuff pads and all will be good with the world .
now who can guess how long it took for both sides start to finish , theres a prize

I-S
23-06-2006, 11:36 PM
From the pics, I'm guessing yours is a very early V6 with the same 256mm front brake that the GLS has? It is totally inadequate for even the GLS (mine chews discs, and the number of GLS on ebay that I've seen described with "brake shudder" suggests it's not exactly rare). Nice job anyhow! I'd have taken Nick Mann up on his offer of 276mm V6 discs and calipers, but for the fact that they'd not fit under the standard wheels.

I got my new greenstuffs to smoke heavily during bedding-in. I think it was the "brake-in" coating what did it... I need to go on another bed-in run now that I've got a couple of hundred miles on the discs.

BTW, how was your offside caliper? That's the one that's tight on one of the pins on mine, so if your offside is ok and going spare...

psbarham
24-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Nice job anyhow! I'd have taken Nick Mann up on his offer of 276mm V6 discs and calipers, but for the fact that they'd not fit under the standard wheels.

I got my new greenstuffs to smoke heavily during bedding-in. I think it was the "brake-in" coating what did it... I need to go on another bed-in run now that I've got a couple of hundred miles on the discs.

BTW, how was your offside caliper? That's the one that's tight on one of the pins on mine, so if your offside is ok and going spare...

why thankyou young man , i must admit i was quite chuffed with how well it went , its a shame yours comes on 14's coz the difference is unreal , have you considered a set of V6 15's (but mr insurance bod they were on it when i got it and they are standard mitsu after all ) at least then you can have some slightly beefier brakes .
i'm gonna get some greenstuff pads for mine and some braided hose's and then it should be a headbutt the windscreen moment every time i use the brakes .
i'll have a look at the caliper later and let you know :2thumbsup

bradc
24-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Even if it is irrelevant, my insurance company didn't care when I changed to evo7 wheels, as long as it is a standard mitsi item, it doesn't worry them.

bernmc
24-06-2006, 10:17 AM
now who can guess how long it took for both sides start to finish , theres a prize

Can I answer? Can I? Can I? Can I get the prize? Eh? Eh?

Top job. Should upload the pics to CVR4 properly, and have this in the articles section for all the slow galant owners - seems reasonably easy apart from drilling the bells if you don't have a pillar drill & bits, but I'm sure any decent engineering firm could do it..

Now, I have about the house, a couple of hairdryers...

And have some reputation for your fine efforts.

psbarham
24-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Can I answer? Can I? Can I? Can I get the prize? Eh? Eh?

Top job. Should upload the pics to CVR4 properly, and have this in the articles section for all the slow galant owners - seems reasonably easy apart from drilling the bells if you don't have a pillar drill & bits, but I'm sure any decent engineering firm could do it..

Now, I have about the house, a couple of hairdryers...

And have some reputation for your fine efforts.you have your prize already , thankyou it was a suprisingly easy job , i knew the calipers would be ok and drilling the discs is ok if they are new , but cast has this nasty habit of age hardening which is why i brought the cobalt drill bits , i will try and persude the piccys to upload (i did the img wrap thingy ) and get a mod to move it to articles in fact i'll even do a quick write up on drilling the disks to enhance it further :2thumbsup
now about those hairdryers /Hmmm

psbarham
24-06-2006, 12:30 PM
now as promised a bit about drilling the disks .
all you really need is a pillar drill , normal drill bits should be ok as long as you use the slowest speed possilbe to reduce the heat build up .
right put your new disk and old disk face to face so the bells are touching and the spigot holes (big one in the middle ) are perfectly aligned place the vr4 disk on the bottom , now mitsubishi were very kind one of the original bolt holes line up perfectly and the 2 removal screw holes on the vr4 disks line up with 2 of the other bolt holes on the v6 disks , now using a 8mm drill bit drill out the screw holes then a 10mm and finally a 12mm bit , place the v6 disk back on top of the vr4 disk and line up the 3 holes you have just drilled with the holes in the v6 disk (if you want centre it all using 3 12mm bolts ) now all you have left to do is drill the last hole but of course its not all plain sailing , there is no pilot hole there so of course that needs to be drilled dead centre , now here comes top tip 101 - you need a 12mm drill bit and a normal drill , now gently drill using the v6 hole as a guide and you should end up with a nice centre point now remove the v6 drill and using the mark you just made drill through with a 4mm drill bit and then follow the same procedure as with the other 3 holes .
now without pictures i know thats a bit hard to understand so i will try and do some piccys using the old disks so peeps get the idea
i hope this all makes sense :2thumbsup

ritch_w
20-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Paul - did you get round to taking pics of the drilling process

(sorry for the old thread resurection!)

psbarham
21-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Paul - did you get round to taking pics of the drilling process

(sorry for the old thread resurection!)

nah, sorry dude, i think i have a worn out disc somewhere that i can use so i'll do it on that and take some pictures