PDA

View Full Version : New Holden Monaro - 7 years late in thinking

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 01:31 AM
According to this article (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/motoringstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=3530032&thesection=motoring), the Monaro Coupe 4 is the first low-riding sedan or coupe.

Holden design chief Mike Simcoe, who penned the Monaro, said the Coupe 4 was necessary to demonstrate that the all-wheel-drive system could be used in lower-riding sedans and coupes as well as higher-riding soft-roaders like the Commodore wagon-based Adventra and Avalanche.

We have known this ever since the VR-4 came out. And there are many others as well. Maybe they will let other cars INSERT INTO post VALUES (instead of only Aussie V8s) into the Touring Car once the Aussies know how to make good cars. It looks as if they are finally learning.

It so good to drive a car so ahead of it's time.

jtfleming
23-10-2003, 01:48 AM
I think you have missed the point,

Quote from article:

The Coupe 4, weighing 1802kg, is the first Australian-built, all-wheel-drive two-door.

Its awesome the Aussies can make a 4WD car on such a limited budget!!! But I do agree that they shoold let all manufactuers into the Aussie supercar series, it would certainly get VERY interesting then.

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 02:24 AM
I stamped on this comment "...demonstrate that the all-wheel-drive system could be used in lower-riding sedans and coupes...".

Ever since they banned the Skyline GTR, etc., and used cars only looking like the streetcars, i.e. you can only hope of getting your V8 like one of those, I have turned off Aussie V8's. They are nothing more that rolling billboards, e.g. the "Shell" Falcon or the "Mobil" Holden. Just an Aussie bodyshell and a US V8.

The Skyline went round Bathurst in under 1m55s more than 10 years ago and these Aussies V8 "supercars still can't get under 2m05s, some 10seconds slower.

I would like to see racing where there are "real" cars, similar to the original Group A specifications, many years ago.

tunes
23-10-2003, 02:29 AM
Isn't the new GT-R coming out as a V8? If so it looks like the Jap cars will take the Aussie circuit once more!

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by tunes
Isn't the new GT-R coming out as a V8? If so it looks like the Jap cars will take the Aussie circuit once more!

Great idea, but they did think of their way out for that one. "Aussie V8 Supercars" no foreign V8 allowed. This is part of their arrogance that has put me off them.

tunes
23-10-2003, 02:41 AM
Yeah, i remember that rule coming out. At the end of the day money will be the deciding factor in my opinion. If they want to take their series to the rest of the world and stop being rednecks about the whole thing then the Jap cars will have to be let in. I still remember watching that Skyline blow all those Aussie V8's away years ago, beautiful to watch!

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by tunes
... I still remember watching that Skyline blow all those Aussie V8's away years ago, beautiful to watch!

This is what attacted me to Hi-Tech car technology over brute force Grunt.

My old Galant GTi-16v had more hp/litre then the HSV 215i. Even without a turbo.

jtfleming
23-10-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by KiwiTT
This is what attacted me to Hi-Tech car technology over brute force

Try a new Falcon XR6T, Farrking Hell they're fast, easily modded to 280kw, now thats grunt!!!

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by jtfleming
Try a new Falcon XR6T, Farrking Hell they're fast, easily modded to 280kw, now thats grunt!!!

ReadAutoZine (http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Ford_AU.htm#XR6%20T) and I am inclined to believe you. Note this is a 6 Turbo not a V8. However Power & torque is only one part of the equation; Suspension, Drivetrain, etc. is the other.

jtfleming
23-10-2003, 04:39 AM
I read in mags Ford & Holden are still having problems with fit and finish, eg dash panels not lining up and rattles. The quality of my car seems to be top notch, not that I would complain if I could afford a XR6T....

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by jtfleming
I read in mags Ford & Holden are still having problems with fit and finish, eg dash panels not lining up and rattles. The quality of my car seems to be top notch, not that I would complain if I could afford a XR6T....

$15,000 INSERT INTO post VALUES (What I paid ?) VR-4 or a $56,000 (http://www.auto.co.nz/model_detail.php?new=&id=FORD) XR6-T.

Given the above, I can spend another 40,000 on maintenance INSERT INTO post VALUES ($2,000 average a year for 20 years) and feel I still have a better car, technically.

What do you think ?

Xeroid
28-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Rumour says that Mitsubishi will put a V8 Diamante up for Bathurst 2005 ?
Built in Aust INSERT INTO post VALUES ( Adelaide ) with EVO running gear, should scare a few Holdens and Fords.
The Ford V6 Turbo still has only rear wheel drive, wait till it hits the twisty bits then pick it up outa the ditch, 4wd and AYC, and they still make crap quality cars.