PDA

View Full Version : What cars did you consider before you selected a VR-4 ?

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 04:03 AM
For some time, I was looking around at other cars, knowing I could not afford a VR-4, I considered the following;

1990 Toyota MR-2 = Impractical and too small, Good looking all the same
1987 BMW 635 CSi = Too old, may cost a lot to get in a good condition, a classic though
1998 Mitsi FTO MiVec = Called a "Hairdressers Car" by some, Mitsi version of VTEC.

Glad I spotted the "bargain" VR-4 when I did.

jtfleming
23-10-2003, 04:33 AM
Subaru Legacy GT, until I was put off by so many people, thirstINSERT INTO post VALUES (even n/a versions) turbo problems, and of course theft!!!:eek:

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by jtfleming
Subaru Legacy GT, until I was put off by so many people, thirstINSERT INTO post VALUES (even n/a versions) turbo problems, and of course theft!!!:eek:

Have to agree, my brother and brother-in-law both have Legacy GTs and they still drool at my VR-4.

Darren
23-10-2003, 07:10 AM
Volvo T5 - Grandad, we love you!
BMW 540i - Didn't have enough Wagner CD's to fill up the changer
Impreza - Gone in 60 seconds INSERT INTO post VALUES (Newcastle)
Skyline - Gone in 30 seconds
Mercedes 230 Kompressor Sport - Too flashy for me.
Passat 4Motion - bleugh

Roadrunner
23-10-2003, 08:50 AM
I had a twin-turbo Subaru Legacy RS-B before the VR-4. It was a great car INSERT INTO post VALUES (too) but I found it very difficult to get technical support for it in the UK. Servicing was OK INSERT INTO post VALUES (had it serviced by a main dealer!) but they couldn't help when I had a boost problem other than to prove that the turbos were OK. Never got to the bottom of it, but suspected a combination of contaminated Lambda sensor, contaminated AFS and possibly INSERT INTO post VALUES (not convinced though) faulty ECU. I'd consider anything that meets the need at the time. I like AWD and, where I live, we get enough snow 'n' stuff in the winter to justify it. I spent a bit of time in the past couple of years in Germany and had the use of a BMW M Coupe over there - great fun and I'd be seriously tempted to have one over here INSERT INTO post VALUES (but I'd need something for the winters ... ;) ). Honestly can't see myself getting another VR-4, not because there's anything wrong with it INSERT INTO post VALUES (I do love the car :) ); but because something else may grab my attention when I come to change. Of course, at that time, I might just park the VR-4 at the back of the garage because it is such a great package :D

Brian

zedy1
23-10-2003, 08:53 AM
merc s600
bmw 740
lexus ls400

Roadrunner
23-10-2003, 09:08 AM
poser :D

Nick Mann
23-10-2003, 01:34 PM
I wanted the versatility of an estate with the performance of a sportscar. If you just want a 2.5 V6 then there is a large choice INSERT INTO post VALUES (But the galant still won!) but if you want that bit extra, it is difficult. Not convinced of the looks on the Legacy, BMW too pricey. Considered an Audi 4.2 A6 Avant quattro, but for the same as I paid for the VR-4 it was twice the age with five times the mileage!

The VR-4 appears to be an unbeatable package as a performance estate car.

Nick VR4
23-10-2003, 02:03 PM
None to be honest
Was thinking about getting a new car but my mate said
You should get a VR4 I said whats a VR4 he found a piccy and showed me
I was lile wow nice motor
2 days later driving past a Mits garage near me at about 8.30pm
Holly molly that looks like a VR4 pull in to garage
Takes a look mmm no VR4 badge ??

Phoned up garage next day , yes its s VR4 Legnum
Brought it that day after I took it for a test drive :D

matthew slade
23-10-2003, 02:25 PM
I don't own one, YET, but I have owned litterally hundreds of cars. Comparable cars that I have owned, in my opinion, are a Merc C32 estate which was very very fast but not a lot of fun and the price tag was huge as were the fuel bills. At the moment my estate car is a BMW325i, functional but lacking that fun factor.

The reason for looking at VR-4's is that I like to fiddle with engines and increase power, I also love cars that are rare, obscure and surprise people when they either grab a lift or are wasted on the roads.

I have a collection of Daihatsu Charade GTti's, small 3dr hatchbacks powered by 1litre, 3cylinder, twin cam, turbo, intercooled engines. They are all modified and I do race them. The current best performer is producing just shy of 250bhp:cool1: It does 0-60 in 4.1secs, 0-100 in 9.1secs and the standing 1/4mile in 12.3secs, not bad for a one litre;) Oh, and it is one of only 2 factory built convertibles in the world, its ugly as sin but fast as f#@*:D

pjjohnson
23-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Subaru Legacy GTB, not as good looking as the VR4, with a silly bonnet scoop. But fast and available as a manual.

Toyota GS300 Vertex - expensive, not an estate.

Nissan Stagea - couldn't find one, but ugly as sin and expensive.

Audi S4 estate. Expensive, not so good handling, not so exclusive or good looking as a VR4.

Preferred option was fitting a supercharger to my Peugeot 406 V6 Estate - couldn't find anybody to do it.

Been happy with the VR4 though- 192000 kms in 58 months. Shame I couldn't get a manual.

BraindG
23-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Before i got this VR4, i nearly nearly nearly bought a R34....
had it all sorted, and was doing the finance side of things...
then i realised that my contract ended in 2 months, with no certain job in sight.. and the R34 cost twice as much, maintenance was twice as much and parts were twice as much...
so i bought the VR4 :D

venomboy
23-10-2003, 04:30 PM
I haven't got one yet either, but have just paid for respray on wifes FTO so am hoping for one soon!INSERT INTO post VALUES (happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me!) need hatchback or estate on teachers salary so what's faster than my present v6 626? Volvo T5? built in pipe rack.T5R= jet powered pipe rack. Audi s8 how much? BMW sorry, too Merchant B*****r. Apologies Matthew. Everything else too small or too expensive, heres hoping!

Roadrunner
23-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Oi! Wot's wrong with the VR-4?? :confused: ;) T5R is quite quick, but will do your back in :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( - rock-hard suspension! S8 is a lot of car and you'll find them from around £15k but, as with any of these depreciated expensive cars, they're not cheap to run and very expensive to fix. As long as you go into the deal with your eyes open, knowing the costs, you can have some fun :)

Brian

jtfleming
23-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by matthew slade

I have a collection of Daihatsu Charade GTti's, small 3dr hatchbacks powered by 1litre, 3cylinder, twin cam, turbo, intercooled engines.

I've also owned one of these, takes everyone by suprise!!!

KiwiTT
23-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Those Charade GTti's must be similar to the hot Starlet Turbos we have around lately.

ReggieK
23-10-2003, 10:18 PM
OK, well at this moment in time I don't own a VR4 BUT I am going to drive one at the weekend INSERT INTO post VALUES (and am really looking forward to it). Hopefully the first step to ownership. INSERT INTO post VALUES (it's a members car)

Before this I only really considered two cars and that was Ford Mondeo ST200 or ST220.

I know, I know, they are not sports cars but they are reasonably fast car at a very reasonable living cost.

But, but, but Oh just but......I wanted something special.

Oh I can't wait........

zedy1
23-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by H.7
poser :D

ive had galnts for the past 5 years so wanted something bigger may still buy a merc v12

Roadrunner
24-10-2003, 08:44 AM
a merc v12
Fabulous cars :) . I drove an SL600 round Knockhill :eek: on a Mercedes-Benz open day. Poor instructor from the racing school who was sat in the passenger seat didn't have a good day - I've never met a nervous racing instructor before but this guy was wetting himself all day that someone was going to damage the car. Kept telling everyone it was £103,000 worth of car. Man in the wrong job I thought :rolleyes: . Also had passenger laps in the AMG equivalent, an SL60, which was great fun. There was a tyre van there just for him! By the end of the day, he reckoned that he'd done about 250 miles on track and gone through four sets of tyres :eek: . Drove lots of other stuff from a C280 to an S500. Excellent day :) .

Brian

Ultra VR-4
03-11-2003, 12:58 AM
In order of wantingness:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV
Nissan Skyline GTS25T INSERT INTO post VALUES (r34shape)
Nissan Silvia S15

But then I chose not to go for the 'Boy racer' look and chose the wolf in sheeps clothing.