PDA

View Full Version : vr4 estate for sale

john mann
23-10-2003, 08:49 AM
For sale, Legnum vr4 met silver lovely condition 12 months mot touch screen all the whistles and bells though no engine or transmission mods post me or phone 07768436341 Bristol uk

Spirit
23-10-2003, 11:35 PM
A bit more info may help mate - age, mileage, service history, price etc and a pic or two

Regards
Pete

matthew slade
24-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Interested, but I need more information please

john mann
24-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Hi Mathew,sorry about the slightly flakey post, the car is a 1996 legnum vr4 estate, I bought it from a good friend who imported it I have had it for just over a year, during that time it has been serviced etc exclusively by the main agent in Bristol. It has done about 85,000 miles and is very clean and tidy evarything works although as I write this it is having the starter motor replaced at the main agent.It has a 12 months mot currently, it has no conversion work on it so the speed is indicated in kph and the radio offers only radio 2 and medium wave stations, it does have have an excellent sound system with a 10 stack auto change cd and cassette player all controlled by a touch screen display this display also controls the climate control. the interior is magnolia leather with black trim.I am after offers around £5200 I am selling it because we are relocating to the south of france but have had such a great time in it and will be very sad to see it go. I can't work out how to put pics on here send me you email and I will send a couple Best regards John

zedy1
24-10-2003, 05:18 PM
could u als email me with some pics. my email address is zedy1@yahoo.co.uk

Kieran
24-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by john mann
...it has no conversion work on it so the speed is indicated in kph and the radio offers only radio 2 and medium wave stations...

:confused: Erm, aren't these SVA requirements? :Ponder:

zedy1
24-10-2003, 05:46 PM
thats wat i thought too but didnt mention them maybe its been in this country b4 sva

matthew slade
25-10-2003, 12:07 PM
My e-mail address is:

slade_matthew@hotmail.com

Any chance of a picture of the interior too.

Cheers

M

Nick VR4
25-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Found this may help

its long ;)

.................................................. .................................................. ....................

You will no doubt have read about the new E-SVA scheme that is now in force and I have tried to summarise the main points of it here. I have done it in the hope that you will read our sales pack at the end, perhaps you will, as we supply all the necessary parts for the new test.

Those of you who went to the workshop in Birmingham on August 28th were no doubt as confused as I was at the end of the day but I have tried to distil out the points that are important to importers of used Japanese cars. Unfortunately Neil Barlow, who addressed the workshop, placed equal emphasis on every method of passing the test apart from remarks like ’might be more cost effective’ where in fact he meant that one of the two methods involved a full crash test!

We can divide the used cars from Japan into four main types.

1. Cars registered or made before 1997.

2. Cars with four wheel drive and a separate chassis under ten years old.

3. Cars registered/made after 1996.

4. Cars registered/made after 1996 with forward control.

Each category has to be approached in a different manner.

1. Cars registered that are under ten years old and do not have a chassis INSERT INTO post VALUES (i.e. are not four wheel drive) and were first registered before January 1997.

The rules for this type of car are virtually unchanged, effectively, as Japanese Type approval meets our requirements. However, the type approval and variant number must be on the de-registration document, see my photocopy showing the type approval numbers. If the de-registration document does not have these numbers then you will have problems that might involve testing at a test station. The DVLA suggest that in cases where the type approval numbers are not given on the document then it might be possible to get it from the manufacturers. I have tried with a Toyota and I have not been able to get the type approval numbers from Toyota INSERT INTO post VALUES (GB) Ltd. but perhaps other manufacturers might be more helpful. Even then there is the possibility that a Type Approval number could have been withdrawn when the car went for the Japanese MOT equivalent and Swansea are aware of this.

It is important to understand why some cars do not have the type approval numbers on the deregistration certificate. My information is that at the time of the Japanese MOT test if a modification to the car is seen, such as an after market exhaust system, then the type approval number is taken away. The owner might or might not know about this but the important thing is that the Japanese Auction will not know until the de-reg is applied for. This makes the buying process a lottery as you will not know at auction whether you have the type approval as the car will still be registered at that stage. If you have no type approval number the DVLA will require you to have a translation of the comments and then they will know why the type approval has been taken away and be able to concentrate on that point in your test. We will know more about this as time goes on but the bottom line is that it will be up to the applicant to show compliance. One would speculate that if it were, for example, an exhaust change in the comments box the normal SVA test would show compliance on emissions and noise but if the DVLA decide that this is not the case it will be up to the applicant to how compliance by an independent test report. I am informed that even putting a ladder on the back of a truck – which alters the length – can mean the removal of a type approval number and one would expect in this scenario that the normal SVA test would show compliance.

2. Cars under ten years old with a separate chassis and four wheel drive.

The regulations above also apply to these and you should also look at group 3 as there are regulations there which also may apply.

The cars with a chassis require a steering test to EC standards. This could be done with a crash test but, as Neil said, it might not be cost effective! What has to be done is that a designated outside test station has to compare the steering column and steering gear with an equivalent UK type approved car. The engine mounts also have to be checked as part of this test so a 2500cc Pajero is not the same as a 2800 cc Pajero even though the steering might be the same, they both require a test against a UK car. In addition the car is regarded as a different model if it has an air bag. Keeping to the Pajero one would have to produce for a test the following to have a fairly complete cover:

2500 cc Pajero 2500 cc Shogun

2800 cc Pajero 2800 cc Shogun

3000 cc Pajero 3000 cc Shogun

3500 cc Pajero 3500 cc Shogun

With and without air bags as you decide to test. Auto and manual are considered to be the same.

The cost of these tests from Millbrook is £730 + vat per car, say about nine thousand pounds to include some air bag models.

If you do not want to have the tests done yourself then you can rent test reports from anyone who already has them. You can rent them for one car or you can rent them for a specified period of time, you cannot rent them for a specified number of cars. We have been given to understand by Millbrook that about ten firms are going through the test procedure and there may well be other centres doing the same tests. At the time of writing we are having tests done for all the above models, with and without air bag as applicable. We will also shortly be covering the Surf and Trooper. It does not look viable to cover the LandCruisers and the Prado but we may change our opinion on that if there is a demand.

3. Cars registered January 1997 onwards.

Once again these cars may well fall in other categories as well as this one but here are the basic rules. We need to have emissions and noise tests done on these cars. Once again these can be done at Millbrook or a similar test station.

The emission test is what is called a ‘Directive Test’ which means that it has to be carried out according to the EC directive applicable. It may well be necessary to carry out more than one test, the rules state that for one test the emissions have to be 70% or less than the upper limit. Is the 70% is exceeded then a further test or two tests may be necessary and each test is charged as a separate job. If the car has travelled more than 3000 km and less than 80,000 km then a deterioration factor is allowed but over 80,000 km there is no allowance. The cars will be regarded as different if they have a different type of catalytic converter or exhaust system and one would assume that auto and manual will be regarded as different. Comparison tests cannot be done for emissions. If a vehicle is subsequently bought that has a different type of catalyst or exhaust then you will have to obtain confirmation from the vehicle manufacturer or the component manufacturer that they are the same. Once again the onus is upon us to prove our point.

The noise test can be done by a partial comparison test or by a directive test but without going into serious details the prices are INSERT INTO post VALUES (From Millbrook) £1345 INSERT INTO post VALUES (Petrol) and £1445 INSERT INTO post VALUES (Diesel) for a combined noise and emission test including the model report.

4. Cars registered/made after 1996 with forward control.

Basically this means the Lucida type vehicle where the engine is behind the steering gear and these are going to present problems. A steering check is needed and there is no possibility of a comparison steering test, so far as I can see, as there is no comparable car in the EC. This means a directive test on steering and that means crashing the car. The other tests needed present no problems but a crash test INSERT INTO post VALUES (only one) is clearly going to be expensive to do and to finance.

5. Other odd rules.

All cars after 1998 INSERT INTO post VALUES (November) will need to have an approved immobiliser fitted. This is no big deal unless you make your application before the car arrives, of course. In this case you should book your alarm system and get the serial number and put that on the application form and make sure that it is the same one as eventually fitted. Thatcham grade 2 or better is needed.

Air bag stickers are also needed on the door posts in any car with a passenger air bag. They do not have to be in any approved format, pinch one off a Ford!

I hope that the above has been of some help in negotiating your way through this new scheme. You can call me anytime on 013 22 22 60 60 if you need further help.

venomboy
25-10-2003, 02:36 PM
John, did you get my post?

john mann
25-10-2003, 03:48 PM
No I don't think so can you send it again?

venomboy
25-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Have sent it again, something funny with these posts, INSERT INTO post VALUES (not that I'm criticising, far better than I could ever do)

john mann
25-10-2003, 06:46 PM
still no sign of any post my email is info@baddogdesign.co.uk

zedy1
25-10-2003, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick VR4
[B]Found this may help

its long ;)

nice one nick.
.................................................. .................................................. ....................