PDA

View Full Version : Datalogger for the VR-4 / FTO, almost there...

shiver-91vr4
28-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi guys, my name is Chris and I've been working on the datalogger for the mitsubishi's that you've probably seen a lot of cars in the states having.

I've also come out with recently a datalogger for the mitsibishi FTO's and EURO 3000GT VR-4s, but I've been having trouble acquiring info/parts for your Legnum VR-4s.

We've successfully been able to completely log all parameters that the dealers can see, plus some (including knock) for some models of the FTO's.

I am positive I can log the VR-4s as well, but I have been unable to obtain an ECU for your engines. I am also in need of a pinout diagram of the ECU so I can hook my diagnostic tools up to it.

I know this might be the wrong area to post in, but I figured since it was a big breakthrough for the FTO's and a new performance modification for their car I would start here to see if I could get any help finding more information on your cars.

If someone would be willing to loan me a spare for a week I am positive we can come out with the software for your cars. You can see the current iteration of the software out now for the other Mitsu's, along with everything they can log and do here:
http://automotive.miragecorp.com

I have been working with 2 members of this board to try and get the product out for you guys, but it's very difficult working across the pond and the time issue. So if someone would be so kind to lend me an ECU I could roll this out quickly and help your platform!

Thanks for your attention, I hope we can develop the software to work for your cars as I am sure the hardware/software we developed for the FTO is VERY similar. I am confident that a release of a product could happen within 2-3 weeks of me receiving an ECU.

Thanks again,

Chris

Kieran
28-06-2006, 10:16 PM
BDA? You got a spare?

Mo?

Anyone?!

:speechles

Wodjno
28-06-2006, 10:37 PM
BDA? You got a spare?

Mo?

Anyone?!

:speechles

Couldn't you load him your ECU for a couple of weeks Kieran.. :thinking:

Give you a chance to Polish you Car :speechles

Kieran
28-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Couldn't you load him your ECU for a couple of weeks Kieran.. :thinking:

Give you a chance to Polish you Car :speechles

Perhaps you could do the same - Give you more time to rub your thighs over the Scoobynet forums..... /pan

Seriously - If I were in a position to offer a VR-4 ECU I would. But I'm not, so it'll have to be someone else!:book:

zedy1
28-06-2006, 10:42 PM
ill sort one out guys

Wodjno
28-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Perhaps you could do the same - Give you more time to rub your thighs over the Scoobynet forums..... /pan

Seriously - If I were in a position to offer a VR-4 ECU I would. But I'm not, so it'll have to be someone else!:book:
/applaude

Kieran
28-06-2006, 10:44 PM
ill sort one out guys

Mo to the rescue! :iloveyou:

Wodjno
28-06-2006, 10:45 PM
ill sort one out guys

:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

valmes
29-06-2006, 02:55 AM
I don't have a spare ECU at the moment, but I do have full pinout of our ECU in Russian. Will try to translate and post it up here (and will send a copy of it to Chris). If no one comes up with spare ECU (VR-4), will have to buy one and send overseas.

PS: This week we are busy helping people prepare for "Drag Battle"... so this will have to wait until Monday.

The Vee
29-06-2006, 03:01 AM
Good on ya Zedy, this is something i think a lot of peeps could be waiting for.

shiver-91vr4
29-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Thanks guys.

Valmes has been a great help so far testing out versions I've been sending over. I believe we have the hardware down and ready to go, as well as all the sensor locations inside the ecu's code. We just need to finish up the handshake and get a list of supported cars into the system and then on to testing.

If you can get a hold of one, PM me and I can shoot you my address.

Thanks for all your help!

Chris

zedy1
29-06-2006, 11:03 AM
pm me your address mate and ill send it out

zentac
01-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Chris,
Ive already said Ive got a VR4 ECU for you and any chance of my fto one back?

My new Palm arrived yesterday so I will be doing some more testing this weekend on the FTO one.

Russ
03-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Hi Chris,

I've always wondered which micro family Mitsubishi used for there ECUs.
Do they use EEPROM or Flash?
Any chance of emailing me a binary or hex dump of the VR4 ECU Code?
Since my VR4 is my only transport and still under waranty it is probably not a
good idea to play with mine.
I would really appreciate this info.

Russ.

shiver-91vr4
06-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Richard, sure, I will contact you via email to find the address to ship it back to.

Thanks,

Chris

shiver-91vr4
26-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Bump, checking to see if anyone else has one laying around that I can get....Richard is busy for a little while and I'm trying to get this out asap.

Thanks guys,

Chris

valmes
26-08-2006, 11:36 AM
ECU sent.

zentac
26-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Valmes, I already sent him a VR4 one over a month ago and its the same one as you sent.

valmes
27-08-2006, 01:19 AM
I didn't know that.
I knew Chris had FTO ECU, then he wrote this here:

"26/07/06
Bump, checking to see if anyone else has one laying around that I can get....Richard is busy for a little while and I'm trying to get this out asap.

Thanks guys,

Chris"

then this:

"04/08/06
Wanted VR-4 ECU (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18074&highlight=datalogger)"

... and finally when I've asked for a shipping address a few days ago - I got one... so I thought it was still needed...

Did you manage to get it (datalogger) working on your car Richard?

zentac
27-08-2006, 05:53 PM
not had a vr4 version off him yet

shiver-91vr4
13-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Alright guys, against my better judgement to completely release them to the public, but I have had 4 people testing these units over the past 2-3 months.

Richard has had some mixed success, but I have a feeling it has to do with his palm.

Val has had some issues with connecting to his car, but I am working with him to resolve that issue. Every ECU that I have tried here has worked flawlessly.

I have had several people tell me it is working on their car no matter what year/model they have as long as it is 1994+ and has the trapezoidal port that isn't OBDII.

I have tested these on ECU's that members here and in the FTO club have sent to me and I have yet to find one that doesn't work.

So far I believe the list of ecu's I've tested is:
(I'm not sure on exact model names, but I just remember these names/models)

Several Mivec Cars
96 FTO
98 FTO
95 FTO
FTO GR
Tiptronic FTO

97 Legnum VR4
95 (I believe) Legnum VR4

And many Euro GTO's.

I am 97% positive it will work on ANY Mitsubishi 1994+ car that is not OBDII compliant, that does contain the 16 pin trapezoidal connector.

You can check out the website here:
http://automotive.miragecorp.com/

I only have a few of these in stock as of right now, so if some people want to start buying them and start testing with their cars that would be great.

Information is on the website on how to order, I also have the palm pilots you would need to log with here as well that I can preload up with the software so it is plug and play, ready to go. PM/Email me for pricing on those.

But for right now I would like to just say thanks for all of those who have been helping me out with this project and lets start getting these things out there. I'm sure it will prove an invaluable tool for troubleshooting and performance tuning on these cars.

Thanks,

Chris

shiver-91vr4
26-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Got the logger out to a few FTO guys already and it's working great!

There are a few guys on here that ordered and should have their cables soon once it gets across the pond.

Let me know your what you think of it!

Anyone else interested in one, let me know I have several still left in stock.

Thanks,

Chris

AderC
05-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Datalogger cable arrived today. Plugged it in briefly tonight to check it works it connects to the ECU OK. Slight problem in that some of the warning lights on the dash started flashing, but having checked the FAQ on the website I haven't connected and switched things on in the right order so will try again in daylight tomorrow!

First log file plotted in Excel:

uploaded/1988/1160078729.jpg

aDe

Kieran
05-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Ooooh....

How much was that Ade?

Davezj
05-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi, these loggers sound good, but does it only work on a PLAM? will it work on a laptop. can you get a PLAM emulator for a pc. what price can you do this logger for.

cheers

Dave

Axeboy
05-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Prices are on his website above im sure...

AderC
06-10-2006, 12:57 PM
It was $250 (which I think is about £140) for the cable and software. Already had the Palm m505 as I had an OBDII datalogger on my previous car. Got the Palm off e-bay for about £30 I think.

According to the FAQ on the website the cable is compatible only with their own software and is only available for the Palm at the mo, but they are working on versions for laptop, Sony and and Handspring PDAs

aDe

Paul C
06-10-2006, 02:27 PM
got mine yesterday everything seems spot on but havent had time to do any thing serious. it has shown up a few faults that dont reset using the rest cel button. this may have something to fitting new airfilter as there was no faults prevoius to that.

AderC
07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Oooh. Just found this: http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/ Wonder if it will work with ours...?

aDe

valmes
07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Nice find! :thumbsup:

Don't know if it will work, but it could...

shiver-91vr4
15-10-2006, 11:48 PM
The evoscan stuff is only for OBDII cars.

Laptop version will be available sometime in the near future, hopefully in a few months.

Usually the faults that will not reset are emissions related faults or they are faults that are still "problematic". What faults are you showing up with?

Kenneth
16-10-2006, 01:04 AM

Laptop version will be available sometime in the near future, hopefully in a few months.

Usually the faults that will not reset are emissions related faults or they are faults that are still "problematic". What faults are you showing up with?

the 8G Galant/Legnum range has an ODBII port. However mitsubishi doesn't seem (at least not in the non-us market) use standard ODBII compatible communication protocol.

Because of this standard ODBII scanners do not work. If this is MUT-II compatible then i suppose it should work on JDM Galant/Legnum vehicles

Paul C
18-10-2006, 05:59 PM

I'm getting the following codes:-

At idle

11 O2 sensor (Comes and goes when reset)
12 Volume Air Flow Sensor
13 Intake Ait Temperature Sensor
14 Tps
21 Engine coolant Sensor
23 Cam Sensor

At about 2000rpm and then cel reset

11 O2 Sensor (comes andd goes when reset )
14 Tps
21 Engine Coolant sensor
23 Cam Sensor

and may be once 15 ISC

I think 13 and 14 are to do with type of air filter i have fitted.

I have noticed that with the datalogger the rpm logged goes up to around 7600 when the guage doesn't indicate that, any idea's?

Nutter_John
18-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Strange , remember Valmes saying he hit fuel cut after 7200 which is the rev limit for the vr4

Eurospec
19-10-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm getting the following codes:-

At idle

11 O2 sensor (Comes and goes when reset)
12 Volume Air Flow Sensor
13 Intake Ait Temperature Sensor
14 Tps
21 Engine coolant Sensor
23 Cam Sensor

At about 2000rpm and then cel reset

11 O2 Sensor (comes andd goes when reset )
14 Tps
21 Engine Coolant sensor
23 Cam Sensor

and may be once 15 ISC

I think 13 and 14 are to do with type of air filter i have fitted.

I have noticed that with the datalogger the rpm logged goes up to around 7600 when the guage doesn't indicate that, any idea's?

Man thats some bunch of codes!

12 and 13 might be your filter, or you may have an air leak after the maf. Your TPS error is unlikely caused by the filter though. do you see values changing for the TPS at all?

Run a few logs and see if the sensors showing codes are actually throwing out any values.

Cheers,

Ben.

Paul C
19-10-2006, 04:49 PM
The tps seems to alter as expected.When foot is right down the tps is 100% open. I have just checked the rpm again and the logger indicates 7968rpm and the rev guage says about 6000rpm.only 4 fault codes aswell indicated.

valmes
19-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Waiting for updates from Chris... still have issues with my Datalogger on my car (seems to be related to my EMU install) and some issues on another VR-4.

Chris knows all this and said he will try and fix all the bugs shortly.

Nick Mann
19-10-2006, 08:57 PM
The tps seems to alter as expected.When foot is right down the tps is 100% open. I have just checked the rpm again and the logger indicates 7968rpm and the rev guage says about 6000rpm.only 4 fault codes aswell indicated.

Is it working out the revs from the sparks? If so, you seem to have the wrong number of cylinders!!

Paul C
19-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Is it working out the revs from the sparks? If so, you seem to have the wrong number of cylinders!!

its all beyond me

shiver-91vr4
16-01-2007, 08:52 PM
What's up guys, haven't checked in for a while. I haven't been receiving the thread reply noticies for some reason.

A windows version will be out soon!!

We have tested it on several setups and it works great. We are finishing up some of the visual interface design of the product and it will then be released.

It will work with serial and OBDII ports on any brand laptop.

As always the website will be updated with information:
http://automotive.miragecorp.com

Anyone get to test theirs out a bit more?

As always guys, if you have ANY questions, feel free to PM, Email, AOL IM me, I'm usually around! Sometimes it's hard for me to check the 20 different forums I'm on for new messages ;), but I'll get to the PM's immediately.

Kieran
16-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Now you've mentioned a windows version, you have my attention! How soon do you think, ballpark figure?

shiver-91vr4
16-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Easily within 2 months.

I am just finishing up some of the GUI, all the behind the scenes is done. I've tested up to a maximum of 80 samples/second with no problems.

After that there is just the replaying of logs etc.

So best case scenario ~2-3 weeks before a full featured beta is ready.

For those who are ready to purchase the setup, you can contact me about purchasing a setup now (for the palm) if you would like to play with that for now, and I would also provide a beta version for testing when one is ready. We can work something out if people are willing to help the beta process along :)

AderC
17-01-2007, 09:53 PM
The Palm version works OK generally and is very easy to use, but I've found a couple of minor "quality enhancement opportunities" with version 1.0c:

1. Software sometimes freezes when logging at WOT.
2. There are intermittent "spikes" in the logs, like this:

RPM

Another nice-to-have would be to be able to log vehicle speed!

I would be more than willing to help out with the beta testing as I already have the cable. I do like the Palm setup though as it's a hell of a lot easier to use/mount in the car than having a laptop (and you can keep it in the glovebox!).

aDe

shiver-91vr4
17-01-2007, 10:13 PM
I have been seeing some of those as well on the US cars.

It seems to be a very small percentage of cars that are affected by this. It stems from un-clean grounding connections and directly linked to fuel pump hotwires in the 3000GT when the fuel pump throws noise into the lines.

We are coming out with hardware and software fixes to see if it can help alleviate the problem, but some users have found that simply cleaning their ground connections in the engine compartment and by ecu (they were rusted or corroded) solved the problem almost completely.

I will update everyone as the windows version is finalized.

Thanks,

Chris

Wodjno
17-01-2007, 10:15 PM
The Palm version works OK generally and is very easy to use, but I've found a couple of minor "quality enhancement opportunities" with version 1.0c:

1. Software sometimes freezes when logging at WOT.
2. There are intermittent "spikes" in the logs, like this:

RPM

aDe

Try Grounding it somwhere different away from anywhere it may get interference from :happy:

shiver-91vr4
17-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Try Grounding it somwhere different away from anywhere it may get interference from :happy:

The logger has a ground that connects to the ecu diagnostic port ground, the issue is that sometimes this ground connection is noisy from feedback from other devices.

Hopefully we can correct some of it with filtering in the software and hardware.

Thanks,

Chris

Wodjno
17-01-2007, 10:33 PM
The logger has a ground that connects to the ecu diagnostic port ground, the issue is that sometimes this ground connection is noisy from feedback from other devices.

Hopefully we can correct some of it with filtering in the software and hardware.

Thanks,

Chris

Has it got to be connected there ? Or is it not possible to use a seperate ground :speechles

shiver-91vr4
17-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I think I just realized what may have happened. I need to take a look at one of the units when I get a minute today and compare to our spec sheet.

I'm thinking the molding company may have switched a pin up. There are TWO grounds on the diagnostic port (Pin 4 and Pin 5). The pin should be populated in pin 5 (signal ground/ecu ground) (pin 4 is chassis ground).

This may solve the issue. It can be tested by switching pins 4 and 5 in the diag conn (the pins can pop out with a small needle). I am going to test it here and get back to everyone.

Wodjno
17-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I think I just realized what may have happened. I need to take a look at one of the units when I get a minute today and compare to our spec sheet.

I'm thinking the molding company may have switched a pin up. There are TWO grounds on the diagnostic port (Pin 4 and Pin 5). The pin should be populated in pin 5 (signal ground/ecu ground) (pin 4 is chassis ground).

This may solve the issue. It can be tested by switching pins 4 and 5 in the diag conn (the pins can pop out with a small needle). I am going to test it here and get back to everyone.

Sounds like a Plan :scholar:

Kieran
17-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Sounds good - let us know as soon as there's an opportunity to try a Windows version - I'm sure several others, like myself, would be very interested to try it!/toycar

AderC
19-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Any news on the windows version? Also, did you check out the potential problem with the switched pins?

aDe

MunkyWrench
19-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Any news on the windows version? Also, did you check out the potential problem with the switched pins?

aDe

+1 for me