PDA

View Full Version : August 6 Route Planning

Kenneth
29-06-2006, 10:41 PM
I have attached an image that shows a nicely (or poorly... depending on what you think of the colours.) laid out into stages

The idea is that you take a look at the stages (A - H) and say which you wish to drive. Obviously some will be mandatory to get from one stage to another.

My preferance is
A - B - C - E - F - H

There is a certian amoun of negotiation possible, so if you have an idea, put it forward.

NOTE: Whoring posts WILL be deleted in this thread.

Oh, and Brad it would be nice if you could put up a list of the distances of each stage (I know you worked it out... maybe look in your ICQ history?)

Ta :D

bradc
29-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I've got a very busy day ahead of me today, but I'll get all the distances up sometime this arvo, or maybe tonight. My preferance is the same as your's, hot blondes, err I meant a, b, c, e, f, h or maybe h, b, c, e, f, a instead.

Kenneth
05-07-2006, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I suppose starting at H and ending A is a deffinate possibility.

Also could aim to stop at Waihi, then see if people want to do stage F or just skip it... as it is a pretty long stage.

I would deffinatly like to do the kiamis again though :D

bradc
05-07-2006, 02:45 AM
we will probably need to stop at coromandel, waihi and tauranga for petrol anyway :)

GroundControl
05-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Petrol in coromandel is outrageously expensive (dunno about the other places).

To be honest I think that the "full" proposed route above is a huge drive, and a lot of money for the sake of a blat :) I would definitely skip the 'F' section.

That said, dunno if I'll be there or not at this stage. Depends on the weather and the snow :D

Kenneth
05-07-2006, 03:06 AM
To be honest I think that the "full" proposed route above is a huge drive, and a lot of money for the sake of a blat :) I would definitely skip the 'F' section.

Ah, but as stated in the other forum, this is a special blat :D

As I said, it is negotiable... depends on who wants to come and how far they want to drive.

If only 3 turn up and they all want to do the same route, then hey :)

Xeroid
10-07-2006, 10:03 AM
That's a hell of a long nonstop drive, I've done the loop Pauanui through Whitianga, via Kaitounu over to Coromandel down to Thames and back to Pauanui and it's a fair old distance over twisty roads.
What about something like down to Tauranga, Mt Maunganui for some lunch then back up via Kaimais maybe.

Xeroid
10-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Ok, windy road needed, how about down through Clevedon to Kaiaua (A), carry on down to Tauranga ( must be a little join up road that will get us to the Tauranga main drive via Karangahake and Waihi, little stop at Katikati ( Moreton Estate Winery ) then on to Bethlehem ( Mills Reef Winery ) and through to Mt Manganui, find some nice pub lunch or Fish and Chips however your budget fits. Then after pick up the remainder of the (F) loop down the Kaimai's and back up 26 for quick cruise home. Estimate time down about 3-4 hours, home run about 2 maybe. Some good twisty bits and some nice quick criusey stuff, with some nice stops and destinations along the way. Very scenic and petrol available where ever.

Kenneth
10-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Download this and draw the route on it :)

Ta

A,B,D,E,G,H is actually a good drive if people want to remove some distance. Still, as I said in the end it comes down to who is driving it.

(PS. Anyone with alternate route suggestions, feel free to do the same)

Xeroid
13-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Something like this ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/xeroid/Assorted/Aug6largeX.jpg

Bendy bits after Clevedon, Karangahake and Waihi Gorges, more coming down the Kaimais later and you could deviate to find some more. Some at northern end of 26 as well. Couple of wineries ( did I mention those LOL ). Plenty of lunch locations around Manganui. Nice little jaunt.

Another option would be just the Coromandel loop, Auck to Thames, Thames to Coromandel, over the top via Kaitounu to Whitianga for lunch. Then down through Tairua, maybe side trip to Pauanui, then over Hikuai - Kopu or if plenty of time down to Whangamata and back round up. Or in the opposite direction.

Lets see, ...lunch ... Whitianga ... yep, around the water front and the Pub's pretty cool too.

You jest gotta plan these things properly, that's all. hafta fit in the important bits, like lunch and nice stops, like wineries. LOL

Xeroid
13-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Can't seem to get pix in, URL will have to do, sorry.
Is there some trick I haven't got figured out ?

bradc
13-07-2006, 11:41 AM
that looks like a good route, but I think for this time we have to do the coromandel, thats what Kenneth wants to do, and I know I'm keen for it too :D

Kenneth
13-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Being the youngest child of 3 and both older siblings being female, I have very little experiance with the details of organisation! :D /haz

I mostly care about the drive, if you think it would be cool to visit a winery, then by all means feel free to organise it ;)

I really do want to do stage E. I can forgo stage C though.

Xeroid
17-07-2006, 09:24 AM
I'll have to bail unfortunately, family committments have arisen for the 6th. Coro drive would be cool for sure, some good lunch stops around and its almost ALL twisty, hope your tyres are all good.

Wife has just scored a new job, with FREE petrol card !! :iloveyou:
They don't know about the VR4's thirst ... but it's a Shell card, no 98 .../Grrr

bradc
17-07-2006, 09:32 AM
95 is still better than nothing at all :)

It is a pity that you can't come, I would have looked forward to seeing your car again.

bradc
18-07-2006, 10:09 AM
A couple of ideas, one is basically what I think is the most popular option, and weighs in at 370km. BP98 is available at mill rd, and at waihi.

The second one is the ideal route IMHO where we go down to tauranga, then across the kaimai's, then back up through matamata and morrinsville to avoid as much traffic as possible. What does everyone think of these two routes?

Kenneth
18-07-2006, 09:06 PM
cant load the full images :P

looks like we will need to find out exactly who is turning up and then get a vote.

Gly
24-07-2006, 06:56 AM
so is this still on??

You See
24-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Think it's safe to say it's TBA.

Lucas
24-07-2006, 07:55 AM
I wont be able to make it but surely it would be a nice idea to go ahead with this event. Ken obviously had been putting a fair bit of effort into planning this event so why not go ahead with it anyway? I'm sure plenty of you would have a seat to spare wouldn't ya :happy: Of course it's not up to me though...

bradc
24-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Yeah if Ken wants to he is welcome to jump in with me.

Kenneth
24-07-2006, 11:07 PM
The show must go on.

While I possibly have not show great leadership skills (at least not buy example) this last week, I am still an event orgainiser!

It would be great to still go on the run :)

Might have to take another passenger as well as me... ;)

bradc
25-07-2006, 04:15 AM
You can jump in with me Kenneth.

You See
25-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Or me...

..Brad: You've got approx. 2 weeks to complete your car, otherwise :rifle:

bradc
25-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Haha yeah I know, I've told Glenn the deadline is the 6th, otherwise I'm pincing the evo 8 rally car.