PDA

View Full Version : f&*$ insurance

bradc
30-06-2006, 05:37 AM
My insurance company has decided they don't want to renew me because of the mods I have done, can you guys give me a bit of a list of the companies you're with so I can contact them? thanks

Gly
30-06-2006, 05:58 AM
NAC (national auto club), will insure you at a price,

and so will Tasman Pacific
http://www.tasmanpacific.co.nz/

im currently with tasman pacific,
there easy to deal with, just there accessor was a bit on the slack side.

bradc
30-06-2006, 06:34 AM
sweet, I've tried calling them, they've already closed for the day. I'll make a call on monday. I went through the 2 other insurance threads that Trow and Robotnik started, but I thought I'd make a new one and see if there are any new recommendations

Rossco Type-S
30-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Who were you with?

I am with BNZ (IAG) - essentially State.

They don't seem to care about mods at all, they just wanted to know the value of the mods on my old car.

bradc
30-06-2006, 07:05 AM
I was through a broker with state, they didn't like the ecu, brakes or intercooler in particular

You See
30-06-2006, 07:08 AM
It's probably more dificult to get if you're on a restricted licence as well...most people on restricted have enough trouble controlling a standard car rather than a highly modded one.

mpau009
30-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Does that mean you have it back?:thinking:

And yeah i think the liscence would help, but state wouldnt touch me even with a clear full liscence even on my N/A V6. I dont know how much stuff you have insured, but use the broker to put pressure on the company that has all your parents things, and try and twist their arm. Otherwise NAC, but apparently it can be a bit tough to get a claim out of them..

Whatever way you look at it, i think it might hurt a bit:scholar:

bradc
30-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Hah, I don't have it back. My insurance ran out in may and I asked if I could postpone the start date on it until I get the car back, naturally they asked what I was getting it back from, and it took them until now to get back to me to say they couldn't insure it.

I'll call around a bit more on monday, I was called at 4:30pm today and didn't really have much time to look around. I expect to pay anywhere up to $3k a year, and I might just have to get my full license soon :)

Rossco Type-S
30-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Hah, I don't have it back. My insurance ran out in may and I asked if I could postpone the start date on it until I get the car back, naturally they asked what I was getting it back from, and it took them until now to get back to me to say they couldn't insure it.

I'll call around a bit more on monday, I was called at 4:30pm today and didn't really have much time to look around. I expect to pay anywhere up to $3k a year, and I might just have to get my full license soon :)

I am on my restricted too. My old car was fully-modded and I had no issues. I only pay $20 a fortnight. Although the firm I work for played a big part in them insuring me.

Really need to get onto getting my full :)

Kenneth
30-06-2006, 09:44 AM
pmsl /haz

i didnt think of this outcome... but to be honest, it doesn't at all supprise me!

Ah well, no doubt you will find SOMEONE to insure you, but the premium might be a bit steep :(

bradc
30-06-2006, 11:51 AM
what sucks is that I've been paying for insurance since my car was taken off the road, if I had thought about it and mentioned it to them straight away I would have saved myself $800 or so. **** it.

ahh well, I've looked around on mmcnz to see what some of the guys there with show cars use, and they have given me quite a few leads, I'll have a busy day on monday

detonate
01-07-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm with AON.

Funny thing when I (privately) tried to get a quote from them for the VR, they outright just said "No we can't insure you with that car"

Then 2 months later when I actually bought the car, I went to get a quote from them again (this time mentioning my employer as staff get a discount with AON) and the same lady that emailed me saying "no" replied saying "sure..."

/pan

Muppsy
01-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm with Pioneer. The Excess is almost half of NAC. I'm on full and been driving for 10 years (not very well I admit), but state wouldn't insure me either. Put me onto NAC which is basically the same company. Theft excess was to the tune of 3 grand.

The downside to Pioneer is that if you don't pay for a full year in advance, they make you take out a GE finance account.

Basically, GE give them the full year lump sum, and you pay GE monthly.

It all gets a little complicated just so Pioneer can increase their cashflow. It took two months or so to fully cancel the policy and stop GE taking payments.

Other than that, pretty good to deal with. Ask them if you can pay monthly without GE, or pay a year in advance if you have the cash at hand. It'll be worth it and I doubt you'll find cheaper.

bradc
01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
sounds like Pioneer will be right up at the top of the list, lots of people on mmcnz like them as well.

jaimz
02-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey dude, I'm with Tower, via National Bank.
I can't exactly sing their praises, but at least I'm paying well less than $1000.

Can't believe you're only on your restricted..! Lazy bastard! :scholar:

bradc
03-07-2006, 12:44 AM
called pioneer this morning, $2239 per year, $600 excess with value of mod's declared, they didn't want to know the actual mod's done though, just the value. :D

Muppsy
03-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Whoa. How much are you insuring for? Mine was like $1400.

bradc
03-07-2006, 12:57 AM
$24000, which is with all the mods I've spent on it

marmel31
03-07-2006, 01:46 AM
Is this an agreed value policy? If not you are probably wasting your money insuring it for what you have spent on it. If the vehicle was written off the insurer will obtain a pre-accident valuation and you will be paid on that basis. Usual story with total spent on vehicle plus mods does not equate to actual sale price etc....

bradc
03-07-2006, 02:41 AM
yep it is :)

dickytim
03-07-2006, 07:49 AM
sounds like Pioneer is the goods, just be VERY careful about their wording as I found that they would insure on an agreed value but would still only pay out market value, sounds weird but I found they weren't the best deal for me so I stuck with my current insurer Mobile insurance consultants in East Tamaki, I have had a claim for $4,500 and no problems at all, they couldn't have been more accomodating if they tried, still kept my no claims bonus some how :P

Gly
06-07-2006, 07:21 AM
GOD DAMMIT! got a letter from tasman today,
there closing down there car insurance from the 20th of july!!

Now i have to find a new insurerance co

GRRR!

Gly
06-07-2006, 07:45 AM
just called Mobile Insurance Consultants, 0800 111 801

12000$ insurance 1k excess,

84$ PER MONTH

Thats less than i pay now!!

may pop in and see them, see if i can get a $500 excess.
and a have a read of the policy

bradc
06-07-2006, 07:45 AM
When I called them they said they wouldn't insure new customers, thats why I went with Pioneer. That sucks dude, hopefully you'll be able to get a good deal from Pioneer.

Rossco Type-S
08-07-2006, 03:01 AM
just called Mobile Insurance Consultants, 0800 111 801

12000$ insurance 1k excess,

84$ PER MONTH

Thats less than i pay now!!

may pop in and see them, see if i can get a $500 excess.
and a have a read of the policy

That is way too much, you don't even have a VR4.

bradc
08-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Gly hasn't had the best driving history though :)

Rossco Type-S
08-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Gly hasn't had the best driving history though :)

I see :thinking:

Gly
08-07-2006, 06:40 AM
nope, mine sucks.

been disqulified for a 6months (back in my teens got done for 104 in a 50 zone on my motorbike,)
then got caught driving wilst disqulified, add another 6 months

had a couple of accidents in my galant, and finally wrote it off, (3 years ago)

and then couple of months ago i drifted my legnum into a tree.
(dont be a silly bugger when the roads are wet)

oh and the speeding tickets (mainly on my motorbike back in my teens)
i wont even start to list them....

now im older and more responsible, and im paying for it.
live and learn i guess.