View Full Version : Noisy exhaust tests coming

Gly
30-06-2006, 10:19 AM
http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,11964-5982271,00.html

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicles/objective-noise-test.html

all i have to say is bugga!

Kenneth
30-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Typical of NZ really... bring something out, but don't wait till you can actually support the demand on whoever is doing the testing...

Ah well, I expect my exaust should be ok

KiwiTT
03-07-2006, 12:09 AM
NZ Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10389446)

We may see a lot more cars getting pulled off the road. Glad my exhaust is virtually standard

Only 2 authorised testers in Auckland. See Here (http://www.lvvta.org.nz/ONT-authorised%20LVV%20Certifiers.pdf) I expect them to be very busy. So expect long delays if you get ticketted.

bradc
03-07-2006, 01:02 AM
called those guys in auckland, they are emailing me the draft now.

for a v6, they beleive the standard is to test at 4000rpm, and it needs to be less than 95dba.

bradc
03-07-2006, 01:31 AM
here is the pdf I recieved from the testing station.

Kenneth
03-07-2006, 01:56 AM

Sounds pretty thorough actually. Still, I have some ideas on how to cheat the test. Not likely i'll post them in a public forum though :P

KiwiTT
03-07-2006, 02:07 AM

75% of max rpm if known

jaimz
03-07-2006, 10:12 PM
This is all quite interesting.
I work for an acoustic engineering firm, and we've been expecting something like this to come into force for a while. The government's certainly been threatening it for ages!
As far as I can tell it's all pretty much in line with international standards.
There's also an ISO Standard for a driveby noise test, which is obviously more work for the authorities, hence they've gone for the static test.

If anyone were interested, I could bring a sound level meter to the next meet we have, and do some testing.
Obviously... it would be indicative only, and could form no basis for argument against authorities if I said your exhaust complied, and it then failed in an official test!
Might be cool to have a look at standard vs modified though. :2thumbsup

Kenneth
03-07-2006, 10:16 PM
If anyone were interested, I could bring a sound level meter to the next meet we have, and do some testing.
Obviously... it would be indicative only, and could form no basis for argument against authorities if I said your exhaust complied, and it then failed in an official test!
Might be cool to have a look at standard vs modified though. :2thumbsup

Great idea. :)

KiwiTT
04-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Lets have a "Noise Meet".

Anyone know of a location where there is low noise.

bradc
04-07-2006, 12:15 AM
my house ;)

Gly
04-07-2006, 06:41 AM
bring on the noise meet :P

You See
04-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Yeah Brad's place...there's never any banging going on there! :P

bradc
04-07-2006, 08:11 AM
just because I don't invite you when there is :P

Gly
04-07-2006, 08:17 AM
we dont want to watch you and your mum doing it, thats just sick

mpau009
04-07-2006, 08:27 AM
we dont want to watch you and your mum doing it, thats just sick

/haz Thats twisted:thinking:

jaimz
05-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Low noise isn't a huge concern. The ambient noise can be up to 10dB below that of the test car. Just a nice open space, relatively free from reflecting surfaces would be good.
Carpark or something.

Don't let me put you off your 'yo mama' thread though... as you were :2thumbsup

detonate
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
keen.

(the noise meet, not for brad's mum)

although... got pics?

/pan

KiwiTT
18-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Effective Today !

Tougher test for loud cars
19 July 2006
By ADAM RAY

Boy racers in loud cars could be taken off the road under a stringent new exhaust noise testing regime.

Under new testing regulations, which begin today, cars with booming exhausts can be sent for checks at garages equipped with noise meters.

Cars that register above 95 decibels during the "objective noise test" will be barred from the road tilltill their exhausts have been quietened. Nine workshops around the country have been certified to carry out the tests.

The new regime was part of efforts to stop drivers of cars with loud exhausts bothering inner-city residents, said Tony Johnson, chief executive of the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association, which represents modified or kitset car owners.

Previously, checks on noisy exhausts were "subjective" – done by a police or compliance officer listening to the car to decide if it was "significantly louder" than a standard model.

Owners of cars with loud exhausts mostly backed the scientific tests, Mr Johnson said.

"It's a good start. What we have to do is look and learn, and see where we can improve it."

Transport Safety Minister Harry Duynhoven said the objective noise test could only be done on modified and newly imported vehicles, but further law changes would allow it to be done during all warrant of fitness inspections. The testing gave police a "very solid tool" to confront the owners of loud vehicles. "It's about getting rid of the grossest, noisiest vehicles."

The Government is also planning changes to exhaust noise level rules, which are 30 years old and did not reflect international standards.

"The oversize, big-bore exhausts in New Zealand would not pass muster in many European countries or the US."

Kenneth
18-07-2006, 10:39 PM
JAIMZ!

what are you doing this weekend Jaimz? Time for a noise meet :)

Gly
19-07-2006, 05:42 AM
must be sunday, im in chch on sat

jaimz
19-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Yep, Sunday's fine for me dudes.
Just need somewhere centralish with a nice big carpark and a bit of space i.e. not too many cars, and away from buildings.

Any suggestions..? Cornwall Park perhaps..?

Obviously can't do it if it's pi$$ing with rain. :2thumbsup

Kenneth
19-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Yep, Sunday's fine for me dudes.
Just need somewhere centralish with a nice big carpark and a bit of space i.e. not too many cars, and away from buildings.

Any suggestions..? Cornwall Park perhaps..?

Obviously can't do it if it's pi$$ing with rain. :2thumbsup

Ok, sweet. Was going to be heading down to Rotorua sunday to pick up my spare engine... But have to pick it up sat or get it shipped.

Sunday I will be (hopefully with the help of UC, Brad and my mate Dave... not to mention some booze) changing all the oil in my car. (AMSOIL, got the whole bloody lot! Enigne, diff, transfer case, gearbox and AYC)

Sooo, that means finding a good carpark at a time that it wont be full...
An industrial estate gets my vote. I know that Albany is pretty quiet on sundays and there should be a few places that we can do the tests.

VR4 MAD
19-07-2006, 11:22 PM
changing all the oil in my car. (AMSOIL, got the whole bloody lot! Enigne, diff, transfer case, gearbox and AYC).

Kenneth, where did you get your AMSOIL from and ...dare I ask, how much did it all cost.:inquisiti :speechles

Changing all the fluids is on my 'to do list'/pan /pan

:evilgrin:

Kenneth
19-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Kenneth, where did you get your AMSOIL from and ...dare I ask, how much did it all cost.:inquisiti :speechles

Changing all the fluids is on my 'to do list'/pan /pan

:evilgrin:

Have answered in this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17749) forum to save hijacking this one :)

VR4 MAD
20-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Have answered in this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17749) forum to save hijacking this one :)

Oops Me Bad/pan Sorry/help

Cheers

You See
20-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Woohoo, mini sound meet for Sunday!! ...Count me in!!!! ..Albany sounds good as we'll (Jack, Coke and Myself) be out there anyways. :D

mpau009
20-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Woohoo, mini sound meet for Sunday!! ...Count me in!!!! ..Albany sounds good as we'll (Jack, Coke and Myself) be out there anyways. :D

Albany hmmm. Thats close to me, what time is this little shindig gonna be?

btw, theres a thing on the news tonight about the tests and testing stuff.

You See
20-07-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm getting a coupla resonators put in just to be on the safe side....I've always got them wastegates!!! :P

jaimz
20-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Righto, Albany on Sunday. I'll bring the gear.
What time and where..? I don't really know Albany that well, so how about whoever chooses the venue chooses the time too... that way there's only one person to blame! (Ken..?) :2thumbsup

Kenneth
20-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Righto, Albany on Sunday. I'll bring the gear.
What time and where..? I don't really know Albany that well, so how about whoever chooses the venue chooses the time too... that way there's only one person to blame! (Ken..?) :2thumbsup

Yeah, ok. i have a place in mind, will have to go check it out to see if it is suitable... (has somewhere to park)

someone print the testing procedure and bring it along... :)

All going well, i will organise somwhere to meet, then we will go from there to the test site, so all you buggers dont get lost!

What times suit people? best for me will be late afternoon... Or do we need to do this BEFORE my oil change (UC? Brad?)

bradc
20-07-2006, 11:25 PM
It might be best to do it before the oil change, we don't know how long it will take for sure

KiwiTT
20-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Let us know where you are going to meet. I may turn up too! So you can compare a "Standard" car to yours.

Kenneth
20-07-2006, 11:31 PM
It might be best to do it before the oil change, we don't know how long it will take for sure

I was thinking more about alcohol consumption ;)

If this is the case, then asap sunday will be best. say 10am? Usually I am up by then, even when hung over... lol

bradc
21-07-2006, 03:12 AM
ok, 10am Sunday it is, now where is that place you're thinking of?

You See
21-07-2006, 06:51 AM
I was thinking more about alcohol consumption ;)
I'll second that! :2thumbsup

Kenneth
21-07-2006, 08:43 AM
it was near the albany mega centre. was going to check it out tonight, but a ibit drink now... besides got a lift home and had to leave car at work :P

yay for work functions... :D

KiwiTT
21-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Let us know soon.

jaimz
21-07-2006, 10:27 PM
10am Sunday, somewhere in Albany it is.
I'll bring the testing procedure. :2thumbsup

Kenneth
22-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Ok, well I dont know where you lot want to meet, but can meet at my work carpark if you like.

9 Apollo Drive
North Harbour.

Its fairly easy to find, just look on aamaps.co.nz (if you are viewing this, then you must have the internet ;) )

otherwise PM me to get my phone number and organise some thing else.

From my work we can move to the test site (just hope its free ;) )

UC knows where I work, so if you organise to catch up with him, he can show the way.

See you at 10am :)

You See
22-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Should be good. Gly and Myself are leaving my place (Botany) around 9:15ish, picking up Jaimz (Ellerslie) on the way....anyone else wanting to join the queue?

bradc
22-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Uc, and chance you could pick me up from Dave's (nfc) house? I don't feel like driving much this morning :)

jaimz
23-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Tests have been completed. You See won. :2thumbsup

See member's section for details.

You See
23-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Now where's my trophy?? :P
Details can be viewed HERE ON THIS LINKY! (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17840):D