PDA

View Full Version : Which! Boost Controller?

colVR4
03-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I have had a search through the site, including the galleries and have come to the conclusion that the vast majority of people are using one of 4 popular electronic boost controllers:

Apexi AVC-R
HKS EVC 4 or 5
Gizzmo IBC
Blitz Dual Spec II

There are some other variations out there, but these seem the most popular. So the question is, which one is the best? How should they be rated?

I have given this some thought as I am planning on purchasing one of them for my car. They are all different in price, but that is because they each offer different capabilities.

So I have decided to open it out to the people that use them. What are your experiences of the different boost controllers? Has anyone used more than one before and has some comparisons to make?

Nutter_John
03-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi Col

Apexi Review

Installation
quite easy with about 6 wires to splice into the ECU loom (soldering skills required) . Fitting the pressure gauge and the Soleniod is easy as the diagram shows exactly what to do .

Setup
I never did this myself took it to the local RR and had them set it up , but looking at it aftwards seems very easy to do and has so many options for settin g the boost level (RPM , Gear etc )

Features
Lots you can have it display rpm , speed , throtle position , Injector , Boost ,speed . It has the abillity to display up three on the screen at once and will record the highest value each one hits - eg max boost reached 0.95

Comments
Slight concern at first as the measurements are not in bar or PSI but once I researched on the web the difference between bar and kg/hg (or whatever it is) was on about 0.03 so it's almost like for like . Speed display is only in KPM which is good for europe etc but I discovered a problem with mine that the max the speed would hit was 137 kph but the car was doing more like 160kph .

Overall
Very happy with the system , quite pricey but you get lost of extra toys one it . If you like bling then this is the one , if you want all go and no show then may not be the best option .

Cost
Approx £320 inc vat

Cheers John

Nick Mann
03-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I have an older HKS unit. An EVC 3 or 4. It is a bit quirky to set up, but easy to use once it is.

The chap doing the RR at WRC last month said that it was the best boost controller ever produce - the newer ones are too complicated to set up well, the older ones don't control properly.

I can't really give my opinion as it is the only boost controller I have ever used!

colVR4
03-07-2006, 03:23 PM
John, did you buy yours new in the UK or was it an import ? I am suprised that it doesn't give you the option to change from kph to mph and to change the units for boost.

Best price that I have found for a new Apexi AVC-R is £239 + £30 postage. Anyone know of a better price for a new unit?

colVR4
03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
There is a HKS EVC EZ for sale on e-bay at the moment for £129.95 from Japan. That seems like a good price, anybody know if that one is any good?

colVR4
03-07-2006, 03:53 PM
So far found:

Greddy Profec B Spec II for £179 (new)
Blitz Dual SBC Spec R for £224 (new)
HKS EVC EZ for £129 (used)

Is a closed loop controller better than a dual-solenoid? Do I need a dual-solenoid or do I only need a single solenoid?

Nutter_John
03-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi Col

Mine was purchased in the UK but I think they all come from the far east anyway - Not manage to find a way to change from KPH/MPH but as I said can be usefull

From what I understand we only need a single solenoid as the control to the wastegates is shared there fore the existing link is only a single

The Apexi is single with a closed loop .

Cheers John

So far found:

Greddy Profec B Spec II for £179 (new)
Blitz Dual SBC Spec R for £224 (new)
HKS EVC EZ for £129 (used)

Is a closed loop controller better than a dual-solenoid? Do I need a dual-solenoid or do I only need a single solenoid?

BraindG
03-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Ive got an EVC5 - Its fine, was easy enough to set up (providing i remember the pipe layout) however i do have one big issue with it.

If im at 1.1 bar, and floor it, it will spike into 1.24 (which was my last warning level, before i backed off) So its not very good at holding the boost level, it will spike well past the preset level, and slowly come down to the level set.

This, as you can image could harm the engine. There are a few threads around on the forums regarding it, and boost spiking.

If you have no plans on setting it near danger level, you'll be fine. I just like living on the edge :)

colVR4
03-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I think that I am leaning more towards the Greddy with all the stuff that I am reading on the web. The Apexi is a close second at the moment.

EdmundVR4
03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
I have the Apexi AVC-R & i've tried all different settings & it still spikes. I have it set at .95 kg/mm & it will spike to 1.05- 1.25 kg/mm (depending on load) then settle down to .95.
Before the AVC-R i had a Turbo XS dual stage mbc...same spiking behaviour.
Do all the EBC's spike...re : HKS, Greddy, Blitz et al ?
Chime in guys.

william
04-07-2006, 02:57 AM
I had a Greddy Profec B spec II fitted on the advice of Torque Performance here in Auckland. I was keen on the Gizzmo but apparently it looses it's settings when you disconnect the battery (like when resetting the ECU) and you have to reset it then. This does not apply to the Greddy as it has a build in memory battery.
I run it at 12psi at the moment and it gives a very nice smooth and flat boost curve on the dyno chart with no spiking and no fuel cut. I mounted the contoller unit in the coin holder (no brass hinge unfortunately!!) where it is out of sight (wife etc) and easily accessible. The greddy also seems good value or money.

Hope this is of some value!

bernmc
04-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Someone posted a link to a very good review of many of the popular boost controllers here some time agao - I'll see if i can find it. The apexi didn't do very well - spiking as mentioned.

I've fitted the Power Enterprises Boost-controller - not a popular make, but it's very simple to set up and use. At current settings of aroun 0.8-0.9 bar, I get spikes to 1.1 bar on gear change (although my BOV sticks a bit when oil accumulates on the piston) and no fuel cut. Pics and details in my thread here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15674).

A lot of the more complex EBC have all sorts of fancy functions - I think you have to decide whether you'll ever use them, and whether you're going to install and set the thing up yourselfor geet a pro to do it. If it's DIY, the simpler the better. If you're going to get a man with a dyno to do it, then complexity doesn't matter so much.

mpau009
04-07-2006, 08:40 AM
I was keen on the Gizzmo but apparently it looses it's settings when you disconnect the battery (like when resetting the ECU) and you have to reset it then. This does not apply to the Greddy as it has a build in memory battery.

:speechles Not mine. Iv had the battery off many times without a problem, for hours sometimes. Maybe that was the early ones?

But I think the Profec B is a much better product tho.

colVR4
04-07-2006, 08:43 AM
I am planning on getting the boost controller and fitting it myself, then I am going to upgrade the exhaust. When that is all done I am going to get it professionally tuned to get the best from the Apexi S-AFC, boost controller and exhaust system.

colVR4
04-07-2006, 09:46 AM
This website has quite a few listed and gives a description of each.

http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=21

bernmc
04-07-2006, 12:11 PM
That's where I got mine from.

colVR4
05-07-2006, 11:22 AM
/Hijack

I am going for the Greddy on Flea-bay for £179 + p.p. Should be arriving within the next couple of days :evilgrin:

Kenneth
05-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I have been thinking about changing the BOV. I can also wind up the boost controller a bit more as I have no problems with fuel cut. What about the actuators?

Give me 5 mins to start a new thread (stop hijacking this one) and move some of the posts...

colVR4
05-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Much obliged. Just makes it easier when people are trying to find the threads that they want.

Kenneth
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
All done. Moved to NZ Chat, feel free to talk as much do do as you wish there :)

Much obliged. Just makes it easier when people are trying to find the threads that they want.

Not a prob mate, here to serve!

Eurospec
06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I run a blitz dsbc, (its what they call the sbc spec R now.)

Its fine to use, and produces stable boost for me, right up to 23psi. It will control actuators (as on std turbos) or wastegates if anyone has gone that far with aftermarket turbos.

The unit itself is said to handle up to 36psi boost.

My understanding of the advantage of dual solenoids over a single is that they can effectively 'pulse' twice as fast, meaning it gives a smoother curve.

It doesnt lose its settings when you you disconnect the battery, and you can control the rate of boost increase as well as the ultimate boost pressure. Some ebc's do this, some dont. It has all the usual warning features like it beeps if you exceed a set boost limit, and you can program it to reduce boost by a % if you do exceed that value. Lots of other ebc's do that too.

When i was getting it i was choosing between a Greddy, the Apexi avc-r and the Blitz. I went for the blitz because it offers direct control, ie i can define what i want to happen, it doesnt depend on a 'self learnt boost curve' as many of the Greddy units do, and although the apexi offers lots of cool features i really liked (eg boost variable by gear etc) it had a reputaion for spiking. The dsbc had a reputaion for a smooth curve (said to be due to the dual solenoids and hence faster pulsing) and higher boost capabilities as well as offering the warning/saftey capabilities.

Cheers,

Ben.

colVR4
07-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info Ben.

I have just taken delivery of a GReddy PRofec B-spec II ...yippee!!

Now to the task of installing it. I have read the write up by Bern and I think I am up to the task. I am going to stick the unit in the cigarette holder on the right hand side of the console (I believe that this is a popular position).
Hopefully I should get some time this weekend to attempt it, if not it will have to wait until next week and I am NOT a patient man.

BraindG
08-07-2006, 08:54 AM
if not it will have to wait until next week and I am NOT a patient man.

Who isn't when there is more power screaming at you from a wee box on your table...

/Boost Controller Whispers..

"install me"
"ill make you smile"
"you know you wanna"
"go, on... install me, let me make you happy"
"ooooohh,, mmmmm more bar"

:evilgrin:

colVR4
08-07-2006, 11:45 AM
I know...so much power from such a small box :)

The wife has gone to the gym so I have just over an hour to get it in......

colVR4
08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Ok, took me a little longer than an hour, but it is in. I just have to hook up the power (need to find the soldering iron....I know its around somewhere....I only used it the other week......grrrrr) and then I can start to experiment.

Bern was not wrong about that little blighter of a spring clip down near the combined actuator rail thing. I am going to take it easy at first just to make sure that nothing is going to blow off, then its time to play :D

colVR4
09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
woohoo!! All installed and I have been playing to get the best settings from it. I have managed to play around enough to get a steady 0.95 bar with it only spiking to about 1.1 bar on WOT through the gears.

I haven't recorded a 0-60 yet but it feels a hell of a lot quicker and pulls so hard now from standstill. On the down side, all the playing has left me with an empty tank after only 130 miles.....ouch!!

bradc
09-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Upping the boost really does help with that all important area between 3000rpm and 5000rpm where you do most of your normal driving doesn't it? Sounds like you had a lot of fun :)

colVR4
09-07-2006, 09:54 PM
oh I'm having fun alright. Already given a few cars a bit of a shock, wouldn't have dreamed of taking on a CL55 AMG before, but it took him a while to pull away from me :) :)

caishanvr4
10-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Come on colvr4.. get your 0-60 time up :baby:
nice to see your having fun

BraindG
10-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Excellent, theres nothing better than getting the boost up.. Only downside is going back to normal boost, its horrible.. the car feels so so slow..

Nutter_John
10-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Col

Must admit that I'm looking forward to running with more boost very soon - clutch being fitted this week by WRD

Have fun :)

colVR4
10-07-2006, 09:54 PM
CRIKEY....

Had my first hose blow off on me. I was pulling past a Toyota Celica GT sommat (old shape) when there was a huge farting noise and a complete loss of boost. I was right cacking meself thinking I had overdone the boost, although it hadn't hit the limiter....

So, pulled over and lifted the bonnet and saw that the hard pipe to the throttle body had come off. Fortunately the rubber seal was still attached (just) and I managed to push the little blighter back on and get it to a garage that was 100m away and borrow a screwdriver to put it back on properly.

I think I may have just forgotten to tighten it up properly when I was fitting it all back together, but I most certainly will be checking EVERY hose before I put it on max chat again.....

I'm not going to post any 0-60 times until I am happy with the set-up of the boost controller. I am aiming for a sustained boost of 0.9 - 0.95 bar with the limited set to 1.1 bar. At the moment it is peaking around 1.15 but I think I can bring it under more control.

The hi settings that I have at the moment are:

set - 43%
gain - 30%
start boost (gain) - 0.85
limiter - 1.10

Anyone else got some figures to compare these with so that I know I am on the right track?

BraindG
11-07-2006, 04:14 PM
oh the infamous pipe, ive popped that loads of times now, but im sure Glenn still holds the record, using wood to wedge it into place :D - I was thinking about inventing some kind of ring to put between the plastic, and the rubber to help grip it to the throttle body. but, ive been pretty lazy and not done much more than think about it :)

Spirit
11-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Just some more info on the Blitz for anyone reading up.

They do two versions of the Dual SBC. The Spec S has a single solenoid and the Spec R has twin solenoids. I (and several others) have happily used the Spec S for over 2 years now on two different VR4's.

They are easy to set up (you can save 4 different settings), and I range from 0.8 to 1.0 bar. Sometimes get the odd spike but the safety cuts in and I just knock it back to one of my lower settings. The four settings are also useful when you get varying ambient temperatures which have a big effect. Recently at RT4 I forgot I only had the controller on my 2nd setting and was hitting 0.86 max, turned it up to my highest and stayed under 1.0 bar, but once the temperature drops it's easy to hit the safety.

And as Ben rightly said they do not lose their settings when you disconnect the battery.

Overall I would say they are excellent VFM, and the control unit fits nicely into the fag packet holder down by your right knee.

colVR4
11-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I didn't look when it came off but, is there a lip on the throttle body? If there were a lip it would certainly help keep the pipe on. I am wondering if there is some way I could make a lip using a blummin big hammer around the edge :D

Wodjno
11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I didn't look when it came off but, is there a lip on the throttle body? If there were a lip it would certainly help keep the pipe on. I am wondering if there is some way I could make a lip using a blummin big hammer around the edge :D

Just go to Machine Mart and purchase some of there Jubilee clips.. They are top quality and you can tighten them Crushingly tight with a socket without them twisting or breaking. :2thumbsup

colVR4
11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the tip Glenn.

By the way, there is a lip on the throttle body inlet, so a jubilee clip put on good and tight should hold it.

caishanvr4
11-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Just some more info on the Blitz for anyone reading up.

They do two versions of the Dual SBC. The Spec S has a single solenoid and the Spec R has twin solenoids. I (and several others) have happily used the Spec S for over 2 years now on two different VR4's.

They are easy to set up (you can save 4 different settings), and I range from 0.8 to 1.0 bar. Sometimes get the odd spike but the safety cuts in and I just knock it back to one of my lower settings. The four settings are also useful when you get varying ambient temperatures which have a big effect. Recently at RT4 I forgot I only had the controller on my 2nd setting and was hitting 0.86 max, turned it up to my highest and stayed under 1.0 bar, but once the temperature drops it's easy to hit the safety.

And as Ben rightly said they do not lose their settings when you disconnect the battery.

Overall I would say they are excellent VFM, and the control unit fits nicely into the fag packet holder down by your right knee.

Good info pete
Can i ask why the spec r is so much more expensive /Hmmm

Spirit
11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Literally for the twin solenoid feature, and of course will support higher boost - which we don't need.

On eBay you can get a Spec S for £176 and a Spec R for £225 (both plus P+P) - the seller is 5400rpm and I bought mine from him ......arrived in 3 days !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BLITZ-DUAL-SBC-SPEC-S-ELECTRONIC-BOOST-CONTROLLER_W0QQitemZ190006735808QQihZ009QQcategory Z43120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Eurospec
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
On the buttons. :happy: Spec R has dual solenoids allowing it to hold more boost and to be able to pulse faster. (each solenoid going at only half the speed required of a single).

Cheers,

Ben.

colVR4
12-07-2006, 08:24 PM
For those thinking of going down the Greddy route. I have found mine really easy to install and set up following the instructions with the kit and with those found on the net.

It has no problems holding boost to the levels that I am looking for and it seems very responsive in terms of building boost and preventing spiking.

Wodjno
12-07-2006, 09:09 PM
For those thinking of going down the Greddy route. I have found mine really easy to install and set up following the instructions with the kit and with those found on the net.

It has no problems holding boost to the levels that I am looking for and it seems very responsive in terms of building boost and preventing spiking.

Not got the same Greddy as you Col ! But agree they do hold boost very well. Take a bit of setting up ... But if you put time in , you'll get good results :2thumbsup

WildCards
12-07-2006, 09:38 PM
you'll get good results :2thumbsup

Like at a certain Rolling Road glenn? :evilgrin:

Wodjno
12-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Like at a certain Rolling Road glenn? :evilgrin:#

hOW DOES fECK oFF sOUND :inquisiti

WildCards
12-07-2006, 09:44 PM
#

hOW DOES fECK oFF sOUND :inquisiti

Like I touched a nerve /lol /lol /lol

Wodjno
12-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Like I touched a nerve /lol /lol /lol

Not at all Steve :happy:

WildCards
12-07-2006, 09:53 PM
So c'mon. i've been itching to ask for ages. What's occuring with your cars then?

Wodjno
12-07-2006, 09:56 PM
So c'mon. i've been itching to ask for ages. What's occuring with your cars then?

Nothing at all.. !!

And if you been itching then you should get something from the doctors for it..

Why didn'y you just PM me ! Like everybody else did :2thumbsup