PDA

View Full Version : Better than Eagle F1's

bernmc
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
The wife's new toy wears Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A Scuderia, so I thought I'd have a quick look at how good they are.

Tyretest.com consistently scores the Bridgestones better than eagle F1's in everything except snow grip.... worth considering????

Eagles:

uploaded/1552/1151935633.jpg

Bridgestones:

uploaded/1552/1151935676.jpg

Physician
03-07-2006, 03:28 PM
I'd noticed them previously Bern ......... I decided they weren't nearly as 'pretty' as the GSD3's :inquisiti

Brunty
03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Tyre noise - :2thumbsup - good find.

WildCards
03-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Big difference in the number of tests though, that could be a factor in the outcome. How much are the Potenzas in comparison.

BraindG
03-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Tyre noise - :2thumbsup - good find.
Hmm, yeah that scored a whole 1 point less than the eagles!.. I must admit, those eagles are rather noisy. Has anyone tried the Bridgestones?

Paul Beazer
03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Looking at the test results i notice several things

1) Less tests with the bridgestones, so less subjective.
2) Less miles on the bridgestones, so less subjective.
3) Are you looking for good performance or less wear / road noise?

Personally, i'd have the eagles, i couldnt give a hoot about the road noise (beisdes our cars arent the most well insulted against noise anyway), i want GRIP and lots of it please waiter!

KiwiTT
04-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP) rates the F1s better. 13 Million miles reported.

And it is still the best in the WET, when it really counts, out of all the tyres.

Read 1400 plus reviews (http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3&tirePageLocQty=)

bradc
04-07-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm still considering the Toyo T1R's when I get my new forged 17x9.5 mags on

KiwiTT
04-07-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm still considering the Toyo T1R's when I get my new forged 17x9.5 mags onReally.

Doesn't this (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3)look better. And it performs better too !

bradc
04-07-2006, 12:38 AM
the EVO guys seem to love them, and rate them higher than gsd3's

KiwiTT
04-07-2006, 01:05 AM
the EVO guys seem to love them, and rate them higher than gsd3'sEVOs slightly are different cars to ours.

Kenneth
04-07-2006, 02:45 AM
EVOs slightly are different cars to ours.

thats a silly argument Richard!

I think T1-Rs are deffinatly worth a try.

KiwiTT
04-07-2006, 03:04 AM
/catfightJust stirring the pot a bit.

Kenneth
04-07-2006, 03:21 AM
/catfightJust stirring the pot a bit.

pot? where? /haz

KiwiTT
04-07-2006, 03:26 AM
/Hijack
pot? where? /haz/panAren't we bad

bradc
04-07-2006, 04:12 AM
lol!

mpau009
04-07-2006, 06:11 AM
In danger of hijacking this thread back on topic..

okay so I'll need tyres in the next month or two, seems like the majority on here like the F1's. Iv been shopping around.. Can someone explain some things please:

1) just how much better are the expensive tyres? For both my legnum's Iv had Bridgestone Potenza GIII's or II's Which seem good, but iv never bought cheapy tyres before.

2) are half price tyres half as good?:inquisiti

3) who can sort me out a deal, what should i buy and where should i get them in North / West Auckland.

Each place favours its own special brands. Its starting to do my head in, and no one will give you a straight answer...

On your marks get set.. go.

Kenneth
04-07-2006, 06:52 AM
In danger of hijacking this thread back on topic..

okay so I'll need tyres in the next month or two, seems like the majority on here like the F1's. Iv been shopping around.. Can someone explain some things please:

1) just how much better are the expensive tyres? For both my legnum's Iv had Bridgestone Potenza GIII's or II's Which seem good, but iv never bought cheapy tyres before.

2) are half price tyres half as good?:inquisiti

3) who can sort me out a deal, what should i buy and where should i get them in North / West Auckland.

Each place favours its own special brands. Its starting to do my head in, and no one will give you a straight answer...

On your marks get set.. go.

I will only say the following

If you need to stop in a hurry... the stopping distance will be mostly determined by your tyres (assuming your brakes work and are not overheated)

The maximim speed you can go around a corner is determined by your tyres

Your ability to recover from a silde is affected by your tyres

your ability to recover after aquaplaning is affected by your tyres

your ability to do anything in the wet is affected by your tyres

Crap tyres are just not worth it. Get the best you can afford. When something goes wrong, the last thing you need is to eithier loose traction or have to worry about traction.

bradc
04-07-2006, 08:09 AM
mpau, the GSD3's are very cheap for a performance tyre anyway, mine were about $230 each which were 235/45/17, much cheaper than tyres like the grid 3 and similar bridgestone tyres.

bernmc
04-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I agree with Kenneth - get the best you can afford. I've bought three cars in as many months - trying to get my children out of the VR4 taxi. Two of the cars had some sort of korean/malasian unknown wotsit crap which were DREADFUL. no grip whatsoever - I was scared of driving the cars in the dry, let alone in the wet... and they were puny little 1.1 and 1.2 litre engined.

There's no way I could let my children drive with them on, so the local tyre shop has made a tidy profit out of me recently! Goodyears all round.

It's difficult to get a straight answer on which of better brands are better because everyone has their own opinion, and tbh, it's difficult to get objective opinions unless you can take the same car, and drive it back to back with different flavour tyres in the same conditions.

GSD3's would not be so popular here if they weren't good. If you want to play safe, get them. Mine have done close on 20000 miles, and still have a bit of tread left (admittedly a lot of that was on the motorway - they're getting eaten a bit faster on the country roads now!).

If you're like me, and like to try different things, then go for something else, but stick to named brands. I can't really comment on the Potenza's on our cars as the 350Z is quite a different animal, the tyres are much bigger, and I haven't really gone around a corner in anger yet! The reviews seem good - although as mentioned here, there are fewer than for the F1's. They're slightly more expensive than the goodyears, and of course, they don't have that wild tread pattern...:)

mpau009
04-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Cheers for that. I didnt really think i would want crappy tyres, but when you see a set, 4, round, black, rubbery looking for half the price (trademe, 4 for $560) it makes me wonder.:inquisiti

The main problem i am having is that no one seems to stock each others brands over here, so when i go to one place they say sure, heres the super ultimate whatjamacallit tyre, its the best tyre on the market, you need it. They are all around the $180 - $220NZD mark, so someone must have a better product and i was hoping to see if there was a standout.

If not, i'll stick with the GIII's, or similar, as i know what they can and cant do. But i killed the last lot a bit quick:thinking: .

Gly
04-07-2006, 09:38 AM
GSD3s can be had for a good price,

i got quoted $260 each for 225/40/18s
by a guy in east tamaki.

sells on TM aswell, Mag_It (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?searchtype=SELLER&member=902264)
and has a mobile come to where you are service (wheels on wheels)

KiwiTT
04-07-2006, 10:27 PM
As in my What Tyres ? FAQ (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8416) a lot of information about what others use and it is predominately the F1s.

They may be a cheaper tyre, but as we know with the VR-4 being a cheaper car than say an Audi S4, cheap does not mean crap. saying it another way, just because it is more expensive, does not mean it is any better.

d i c k i e s
25-07-2006, 11:02 PM
GSD3s can be had for a good price,

i got quoted $260 each for 225/40/18s
by a guy in east tamaki.

sells on TM aswell, Mag_It (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?searchtype=SELLER&member=902264)
and has a mobile come to where you are service (wheels on wheels)

yeah i was quoted the same for 225/40x18
Dunlop Direzza 101. and $320.00 for Sport Maxx.

d i c k i e s
25-07-2006, 11:07 PM
i just gotta stop racing up hills and around corners. problem i have is that there a plenty of pot holes in the ground where i am. and the council only starting to fix em. they are evrywhere now. and it affects my tyre. i cant dodge them all the time.

bradc
26-07-2006, 12:31 AM
The DZ101's aren't as good as the gsd3's, but the sport maxx's are pretty good.

d i c k i e s
26-07-2006, 04:53 AM
i wouldnt know, but going from the info yeah it is. only cos the tyres i do have they are almost pretty much worn. and its lasted since i brought my car, which was 7 months ago now. so yeah i think its done alright. its just the front ones. back ones are good as new.

bernmc
26-07-2006, 05:51 PM
An Update: The 350Z came with new REO50's on the back (275/35/19). Unfortunately I don't have any experience of the car with anything else on, but the back seems very loose, particularly in the wet (even with TCL). I put GSD3's on the front, and they seem fine - no understeer at all yet.

bradc
26-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Bern, do you still have RE050's on the back or GSD3's now? If you have GSD3's on the back, do you think they feel better?

bernmc
26-07-2006, 10:18 PM
No - reo50's. They were new when we got the car, so can't justify new GSD3's yet :(

Fronts were shot.

Louis
26-07-2006, 10:29 PM
I had the bridgestone potenzas on another car, very good in the dry, but they lasted about 5 months. I had the gd3 f1's and they were v good, better in the wet than the potenzas, I am now on toyo t1-r, htey are good and grippy in the dry not much wet experience with them ( fecking strange statement to make in the UK!), but you do feel them when you throw the car around bends on country road, at first I thought they were about to break loose, but they just seem to sit out! and grip, it's abit like sidewall flex but it isn't.
The goodyears have a soft wall but it "flows" if you know what I mean, where as the toyos seem to make one sideways move and then grip. hard to explain, but some evo owners don't like the toyos, but once you are used to them they are predictable, which is what I'm after.
What I was thinking of getting was the new goodyear gd3 f1 ROF, which means Run On Flat, which I think would have a stiffer sidewall!!

bernmc
27-07-2006, 04:28 PM
What I was thinking of getting was the new goodyear gd3 f1 ROF, which means Run On Flat, which I think would have a stiffer sidewall!!

Problem with rof's is that you really need a tyre pressure monitor as it can be difficult to tell you've got a puncture. Last think you'd want is to go belting around a bend on a flat... :o

Nutter_John
27-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Someone I work with had them on my BMW and she ended up screwing her tyres up by not checking the pressure - Cost a hell of alot for her to replace all 4 tyres

KiwiTT
27-07-2006, 10:07 PM
What I was thinking of getting was the new goodyear gd3 f1 ROF, which means Run On Flat, which I think would have a stiffer sidewall!!I have read that "Run Flat" tyres feel worse.