PDA

View Full Version : NEW_MEMBER with 4g63b

gsr_galant
25-10-2003, 02:37 AM
hey guys i;m new 2 forum.... i just bought a 1989 2L galant gsr with a 4g63b conversion fwd turbo dynoed at 120kw at the wheels...

just wanted 2 say hi 1 all..

ok boys...just wondering guys do u know where i can get more tech or spec on this engine...

also is the 4g63b and the 4g64t are they the same..?...coz i thought that mine 4g63b would be a awd coz the previous owner said it has a awd gear box on it...but he still say its a fwd...ne info guys or confirmantion..

newayss cheers all
jimmy

Pescha
25-10-2003, 03:46 AM
Geeeez I hate how people presume VR-4's are owned my boys/guys :nono: !!

Anyway with that gripe over....

Welcome to the ClubVR-4 family... Hope you get your questions answered...

Cheers,
Pescha!
INSERT INTO post VALUES (A woman who owns her own VR-4!)

INSERT INTO post VALUES (Hehe couldn't resist!)

gsr_galant
25-10-2003, 07:24 AM
heeh cheers

i;m loving my car so far..but still cant find ne tech or spec on the engine...

cheers
jimmy

zedy1
25-10-2003, 08:20 AM
just give it a good thrsh if it spins then its only a fwd another way to look is if you have a prop shaft going to the back wheels

Japmetal
25-10-2003, 06:49 PM
I've never heard of a 4G63b before; sounds like he was talking thru his a*** and you jsut got a 4G63T. He could possibly mean you have the phase 2 engine with the gearbox on the other side, but this wont make much difference since the engines are essentially the same, with a few minor differences, but so long as you make sure bits are for engines with the same build date as yours you wont go wrong.

As for the 4WD gearbox, it is possible to run this on a FWD car [with some modifications] which would give you gear ratios more suited to the output of the engine, so if he told you it's FWD then it probably is. It's easy enough to tell tho; get down & look under your car, if it's FWD you wont have a propshaft or a rear differential. even if you cant see the propshaft, you really cant miss the rear diff/driveshaft setup on these cars, beileve me !

Also, I think that [as regards this FWD 4WD question] if the car was originally FWD the exhaust will exit under the LEFT side of the car, whereas the 4WD comes out on the RIGHT - but dont quote me on this last, since I'm not sure and it wonld only matter if the car was originally built either way !

gsr_galant
26-10-2003, 01:36 AM
thanks mate..for u help...the car is a gsr conversion...

the exhuast exit is on the rite..hehe
newiais

fanx all

nemore spec on the car?

gsr_galant
26-10-2003, 01:48 AM
alrite guys...i done a lil bit of research but stll abit confuse, coz the lan EVO'z has the same engine as well....the 4g63t does that mean ihave a lan evo engine in it..or is it the lan evo engines are different?

huhz?

cheers all
jimmy

zedy1
26-10-2003, 09:39 AM
it is the same but the lancer is slightly upgraded

gsr_galant
26-10-2003, 02:07 PM
**** man.that heaps good....i didnlt know thta..what evo is it thou..?

cheers
jimmy

Japmetal
28-10-2003, 10:52 PM
The engine situation works out like this;

The 4G63 in it's current format was originally released in the 1989 Galant VR-4. Back then it was technologically advanced for it's time, using twin cams, 16 valves, and a pair of balance shafts rotating opposite to the crank to give a smoohter, more powerful ride than the earlier single-cam version used until then. In the VR-4, the engine was also fitted with a single turbocharger to give 195Bhp peak power [rising to 220Bhp by the end of production in 1992/3]. In Japan, the same engine was used, but with a special 'cyclone' intake manifold, containing a series of special valves which would open and close as the intake pressure changed to provide a smoother torque curve across the rev range, but the rest of the world only got a standard intake.

When the Lancer Evolution was released in 1993 to replace the Galant, the same engine was used, but most of the parts were upgraded to produce 245Bhp peak power, which continued on until 1996 with the Evo 3; For the 4th Evolution, the whole car was redesigned, with the engine also receiving a major overhaul & a bigger turbo to produce 276Bhp peak power. Interestingly, the engine was also turned through 180 degrees to put the gearbox on the opposite side of the engine bay.

Any 4G63T engine/gearbox made between 1989 to 1993 will fit straight into a Galant, since the mountings & drivetrain [in the case of 4WD cars at least] will line straight up, with only a little wiring to adapt [extremely easy if you can get a front-cut or written off car as a donor for the conversion] so the best bet is you have one of these, since fitting the 1994 on engine would take alot more work & probably some custom parts in the drivetrain end of things.

This would put your STARTING output at somewhere close to 250Bhp, but anyone doing this conversion would undoubtedly go to the extra trouble of upgrading some bits and pieces before fitting [changing things is much easier when you dont have a car getting in the way of the engine !] so the only real way to know is either to find out what [if anything] has been changed, giving you a rough estimate of output - OR to find a 4WD rolling road, get the car dynoed and get an exact printout of the current power :cool1:

The best places to look for any more info on this are the US sites dedicated to VR-4s and Eclipses, since the early eclipses also used the 4G63T and most of the exported VR4s [1989-1992/3] also went there !

gsr_galant
29-10-2003, 09:22 AM
nice essay...its great 2 learn abit about the back ground thanks japmetal...

yeh the car is dynoed..its 130kw at the wheels..

cheers
jimmy

Japmetal
29-10-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm ready for my anorak now :rolleyes:

If u want any more info,check out my profile for contact details !!

Nik77
30-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by gsr_galant
4g63t

Isnt that the full name for Kryton out of Red Dwarf?

hmmmm... whats the perfume? WD40.... LOL!!!!

Kieran
30-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Nik77
Isnt that the full name for Kryton out of Red Dwarf?

hmmmm... whats the perfume? WD40.... LOL!!!!

No, it's KRYTEN 2X4B-523P....

....Argh! Get me a doctor! I need more anti-anorak medication!!!:bang:

:lolz:

Nik77
30-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Arrrr yes....

thats it... your the GTI version with realistic looking eyes and a tilt back sunroof head!

Well spin my nipple nuts and call me Frank!!!!

Oh no!!!! My sandals, pipe and Anorak are on stand by!

Kieran
30-10-2003, 08:52 PM
:biglaugh::D