PDA

View Full Version : Front Number Plate

T4Primera
25-10-2003, 10:42 AM
My number plate doesn't fit in the gap in the front of the spoiler. I have put a bend in it but am thinking about cutting a bit of the ends. Is this legal. What have other people done?
Also thinking about moving it up a bit to give the intercooler a bit more air. Are we also allowed to drill new holes in the number plates?

Nick VR4
25-10-2003, 11:05 AM
I dont think you can cut it to be honest as its acrylic (Plastic) might snap?

I dont know what laws you have in NZ
UK police seem to decide on the spur of the moment with this

some of us here have the Square style plate other's have smaller style

Spirit
25-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Mine is 13" x 7" in size and fits perfectly - hope this helps. Cost me £15 to have it made at a local place.

Japmetal
25-10-2003, 06:52 PM
My brother has successfully trimmed a British-style Square plate down to fit his Jap-sized number plate cutout; he used a jigsaw, but I'm sure it can be done with anything with a bit of patience. The police dont hassle him about it either, but the letters and spacing are up to spec, it's just got thinner borders than usual ;)

zedy1
25-10-2003, 08:04 PM
just had my front one made 13"x3 1/4" need to pick it up on monday

Pescha
25-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Number plates in New Zealand are Metal... So we have to physical bend them to fit. I think its against the law to deface a number plate in that manner T4! Mines a personalised plate 'PESCHA' and the car yard had to bend it to fit as well!

Just ring up people like the vehicle testing staion, LMVDI, or even the police, they should be able to help you.

I don't mind mine bent lol (EWWWW that sounds rude!)

I Know all Legnums will have bent number plates!

Cheers,
Pescha!

Nick VR4
25-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Pescha
Number plates in New Zealand are Metal... So we have to physical bend them to fit. I

I Know all Legnums will have bent number plates!

Cheers,
Pescha!

LOL Well mine's not bent at all :D

zedy1
25-10-2003, 08:25 PM
she meant in new zealand they all are bent :D

Pescha
25-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Bent is good! At least you guys would feel very at home!

HEHE!

Pescha!:p

Brind
25-10-2003, 08:30 PM

Depends how cold I am.. ;)

As said, it has to be legal, but then what else can you do but trim it to fit? so I'm sure you will get away with it on that grounds.

Spirit
25-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Bent is good! At least you guys would feel very at home!

HEHE!

Pescha!:p

......says it as she sees.....the reason we love you so much :D

tunes
27-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Mine isn't bent although my front is gar grom standard. Had that problem with my old legnum however. I'm sure you have seen those thinner plates on Porche's, amongst other cars. You should be able to source one of these for yourself. Phone up one of the companies that Pescha mentioned and find out how they can help you.

zedy1
27-10-2003, 10:31 AM
PICKING MINE UP TODAY WILL POST SOME PICS

Ultra VR-4
28-10-2003, 01:27 AM
I bent mine on the sides with some pliers, now its all crooked on the sides, but at least it fits. I suggest bend it on the sides with a vice of some sort.

zedy1
30-10-2003, 12:18 AM
got iy on pics coming soon

T4Primera
04-11-2003, 09:23 AM
OK, spoke to a guy at a testing station and he said that they cannot be redrilled unless the holes do line up....but that only applies to some European and US imports. He also said you cannot hacksaw off the sides to make it fit! So I guess I will just have to be content with what the LTSA has given me! Not sure about getting smaller plates...will investigate this a get back to you, but I doubt it is worth the cost of getting one made!

peterernest
04-11-2003, 11:43 AM
I had an illegal number plate on my bike for quite a while (very small and tinted so it couldn't be read).

After being politely told off numerous times by the Police they confiscated it. I rode around with no number plate for ages and nobody battered an eyelid!

I also drove my VR4 around for five weeks without a front number plate (I thought it looked good that way) before I was stopped and given seven days to get one.

Pescha
04-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Mmmmm I thought it might have been illegal. Thanks for sharing your findings!

Cheers,
Pescha!

peterernest
04-11-2003, 01:26 PM
In Nothamptonshire they are clamping down on illegal number plates. If you're caught they photograph the front and back of your car making you hold an example of a legal number plate next to your illegal plate. (Incase it goes to court).

They then will confiscate your illegal plates - if you get stopped again the same day your producer will explain why you've no plates. Although the Police are not endorsing liceses for this offense it does carry a £30 fine.

zedy1
04-11-2003, 05:30 PM
mine are legal do have doubts on the front one :Ponder:

jtfleming
04-11-2003, 08:01 PM
New Zealand new Galants have a kit that holds the front plate clear of the bumper. Go to any Mitsi dealer and have a look. Therefore no cutting required.

JForce
25-11-2003, 09:19 PM
My dealer cut the ends off my JFORCE plate before attaching it to the front. He said it was all good, and I cant see the cops making a big deal out of it.

Pete M
17-02-2004, 05:11 AM
I had to fit NZ personalised plates with regional marking on bottom (Canterbury with red/black stripes) (Go the Crusaders) The gap in the bumper was about 1cm too narrow for the plate, and if I'd mounted it to the mounting screws it would have been too far down. What I did was:
Got 2 lengths of 1/2 inch (13mm) square section aluminium bar (solid). Drilled one hole 5mm in diameter 5mm from one end. Drilled a 6mm hole 28 mm down from this (to mount to original mounting holes) Counter bored this hole to 10.5mm to about half depth (enough to make a 6mm screw flush with the top of the bar. Drilled a third hole 5mm diameter 130mm down from the first one. (The top and bottom holes are for mounting the plate. This is, as mentioned above, for the large plates. Normal ones are shorter.) Then I tapped the top and bottom holes to 6mm thread. Filed the bar above the top hole at an angle so that when mounted with screw in middle hole, it fits just inside the top of the recess for the original plate. You have to file the top down at an angle, lower at the back, almost as far as the top hole, and round it off to match the bumper. Obtained security screws (6mm x 15 snake eye) Fitted bars to original mounting holes with loctite. Fitted number plate to bars with security screws and loctite. (have to enlarge holes to 6mm, easy as aluminium plate is very soft) Now top edge of plate is flush with front of bumper, and just where bumper curves downwards. Plate is angled back in line with mounting plate. Pics / diagrams available if anyone cares....
And the plate isn't bent at the sides, is rather difficult to steal, and looks cool.

ROSSCO DEEP SOUTH
12-04-2004, 08:01 AM
My number plate doesn't fit in the gap in the front of the spoiler. I have put a bend in it but am thinking about cutting a bit of the ends. Is this legal. What have other people done?
Also thinking about moving it up a bit to give the intercooler a bit more air. Are we also allowed to drill new holes in the number plates?

I cut the top corners out of mine and fitted it .it looks great a mate of mine is a cop and he doesen't think it matters as long as it legable and not basterised.

you can only notice mine is cut, if I run you over and you are looking up as you pass under the spoiler. it looks better, and more flow to cooler.

Pete M
12-04-2004, 11:19 PM
The reason I wanted to make up brackets for my plate, is that being a larger (deeper) plate, it would have covered up rather a lot of the grille. Being able to mount it higher means that the impact on airflow is less. As I haven't got around to redrawing this diagram for normal NZ sized number plates, you can just adjust the distance to the bottom hole and the overall length to suit. The dimensions at the top are unchanged. Regardless of the legality of cutting bits off your plate, when you've paid for them you don't want to do it. I had one of mine ripped off (literally) the front of my Eunos 800, had to buy a new plastic bit for $50 the day before I traded the car. :veryangry

dickytim
22-04-2004, 01:02 AM
I will be making a small spacer when I get my prsonalised plate later in the year is the easiest way to do it