PDA

View Full Version : vr4 twin fog lights

n13l pm
09-07-2006, 02:47 PM
am i current in saying the vr4 front fog lights are the twin versions? anyone know where i can get a hold of them from?

Spirit
09-07-2006, 07:41 PM
The facelift VR4 has twin lights, but only one of them is a fog lamp. The outer lamp comes on when you have your lights on and indicate - it illuminates the side of the road you are turning into. Some people have decided to wire them both as fog lamps though.

Of course you can get them from a Mitsy dealer, but IIRC they cost a fortune. You could speak to Mo (Zedy1) to see if he has any second hand ones but I think they are quite rare.

n13l pm
09-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Wow that must be good. I didnt knw that about the light which comes on when you indicate. il pm Zedy1 to find out if hes got any.

Thanks mate

Nick VR4
09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I had mine rewired to have all 4 on :2thumbsup

MGV6
16-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Apparently, the dealers dont sell them anymore - thats what my local branch told me

n13l pm
17-07-2006, 10:00 AM
i cant find anyone who wants to sell any/Grrr

MGV6
26-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I still can't find any myself either. I spoke to a few NZ members before but even they said its really really tough finding them. It would be great to do like a group buy (UK members) if NZ had some :)

Those toys simply look awesome! Nobody would know if your car is VR-4 or not (except Club VR4) :)

bradc
26-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm going to hunt around today and see what I can find :)

KHK
27-04-2007, 12:24 AM
I still can't find any myself either. I spoke to a few NZ members before but even they said its really really tough finding them. It would be great to do like a group buy (UK members) if NZ had some :)

Those toys simply look awesome! Nobody would know if your car is VR-4 or not (except Club VR4) :)

seems to be no supply, i dun think group buy can lower the price if there is almost no supply.

as told by members, that in ebay, fog lights last bid up to US$4xx ; it is over 200 pounds, not to say delivery fee..etc

KHK
27-04-2007, 01:44 PM
am i current in saying the vr4 front fog lights are the twin versions? anyone know where i can get a hold of them from?

your fog light is single light each side?? first time i know of these.

n13l pm
27-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah thats right mate, single light in each fog corner. Thats what you get in my v6 model in the UK (elegance), the sports v6 models come with fogs like gtz101 has.

Rikki
27-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah thats right mate, single light in each fog corner. Thats what you get in my v6 model in the UK (elegance), the sports v6 models come with fogs like gtz101 has.

Negative Captain lol /pan

Not all sports did, just the first lot, early, about W plate. Mine is X and has the same as yours. I want a set like GTZ's though

n13l pm
27-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Negative Captain lol /pan

Not all sports did, just the first lot, early, about W plate. Mine is X and has the same as yours. I want a set like GTZ's though

lol

I stand corrected.

I want VR4 style fogs..

MGV6
27-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Trust me, the VR4 style lamps are better then my V6 Sport ones. :)

They look cool but rust forms on them very easily (ask Paul Beazer, he'll tell ya) making them look bad at times (VR4 ones aren't affect by rust) and also I just think theres something special about the VR4 lamps

KHK
27-04-2007, 05:03 PM
rust? which version would have rust?
they are ABS plastic,

the single light fog are different?

AncientOfMu
27-04-2007, 05:06 PM
The ones on GTZ's sport and paul beazer, my V6-24 also has the same style.

The outer driving lamp is fine. The inner Projector fog light is surrounded by a metal ring. It is this ring of metal which rusts very very quickly. I rubbed mine down and painted them before i fitted my lights and they had rusted again within two weeks.

KHK
27-04-2007, 06:43 PM
ok then u need to ask me to source a rust free set for u /Devil5

Paul Beazer
27-04-2007, 08:42 PM
The ones on GTZ's sport and paul beazer, my V6-24 also has the same style.

The outer driving lamp is fine. The inner Projector fog light is surrounded by a metal ring. It is this ring of metal which rusts very very quickly. I rubbed mine down and painted them before i fitted my lights and they had rusted again within two weeks.
Yep my fog light (the inner one) was a bit caked with rust. A quick buzz with a bire brish and some black spray hammerite sorted it out tho.

Gly
27-04-2007, 10:50 PM
ill sell mine for 300pounds + shipping,

any takers?

KHK
28-04-2007, 01:28 AM
u serious?

bradc
28-04-2007, 04:12 AM
same here :)

Gly
28-04-2007, 07:17 AM
why wouldnt i be?

rare as rocking horse poo..

and as said before, sell for well over 400$US, thats over 200$pounds, + shipping.... (would be around the 70-80$ NZ mark)

id rather have the money.. im not that keen on the spots personally

6a13
28-04-2007, 09:04 AM
My Pre facelift galant has a facelift front bumper with the twin spotlight setup.

It only has the outer spots wired up to the foglight switch tho.

Does anyone have a diagram of the correct way to wire these, and what relays etc i will need.

Many thanks

Andy

KHK
28-04-2007, 09:50 AM
why fog lights are so rare? a bit strange
headlights are easy to find and buy and also not very expensive

both are parts at the front

Subaru ETA
29-04-2007, 05:54 AM
you would prob find you can get them second hand if you buy the whole bumper

HMG1K
15-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm in emil conversation with this guy sti_gc8 on eBay who seems to sell a lot of Galant and VR4 parts from Japan... He's coming back to me with price and avaiability on Monday regarding VR4 front fogs / turning lights...

Will kep you posted.

Zaid
15-12-2007, 07:23 PM
I guess I was lucky to get my hands on a set a while ago, however havent fit them yet, will probably install them soon:)

HMG1K
15-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I guess I was lucky to get my hands on a set a while ago, however havent fit them yet, will probably install them soon:)

Very lucky!!! Drool!!!

Where did you manage to source them from..?

g6acb
15-12-2007, 11:53 PM
This years 'must have' accessory :pimp2:

Very easy to hack and splice to get the outers to come on with the fogs - a voyage of discovery to make them work as mitsu intened with the indicators......

:scholar:

HMG1K
16-12-2007, 12:05 AM
This years 'must have' accessory :pimp2:

Very easy to hack and splice to get the outers to come on with the fogs - a voyage of discovery to make them work as mitsu intened with the indicators......

:scholar:

DOUBLE drool !!!!!!:happy:

Ok, worth me asking the best way I can source the...?! Pleaseeeeeeeeeee?!

By the way - is getting the outer lights to come on that hard..? I though the wire for the outer light would connect to the indicator wire, so when that comes on so does the bulb, like with a third brake light... but I guess it isn't that easy!

g6acb
16-12-2007, 12:07 AM
By the way - is getting the outer lights to come on that hard..? I though the wire for the outer light would connect to the indicator wire, so when that comes on so does the bulb, like with a third brake light... but I guess it isn't that easy!

Then they would flash, dear boy.....

HMG1K
16-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Good production point!
/pan

ANTHONY
16-12-2007, 12:39 AM
the simple answer is to go by a preface-lift vr-4. that what i did when i couldn't get the fogs

bradc
16-12-2007, 02:06 AM
I sold a set to Zaid and for about another 150 pounds or so I'd have another set for sale.

HMG1K
16-12-2007, 02:24 AM
I sold a set to Zaid and for about another 150 pounds or so I'd have another set for sale.

PM'd you !

HMG1K
16-12-2007, 02:25 AM

There again how about a flasher unit on the wire from the outer turning lamp when it's connected to the indicator wire...?

I shall /pan in advance incase I deserve it for being a spanner!
:happy:

HMG1K
16-12-2007, 01:53 PM
There again how about a flasher unit on the wire from the outer turning lamp when it's connected to the indicator wire...?

I shall /pan in advance incase I deserve it for being a spanner!
:happy:

Been thinking... /pan /pan /pan /pan /pan

That would still mean they flash! It was a long night overnight at work! Sorry!:happy:

HMG1K
21-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Just been looking at our friends site over at OZVR4.com and found this link on one of the threads for VR4 twin front fogs...

http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=4&car=71&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=

Item No.: 179-020-006
Price: JP ¥55,000.00 GB £244.92
Delivery time by air: 10-15 days

I may just go for those after Christmas!

ANTHONY
21-12-2007, 11:18 PM
good find.

HMG1K
21-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks Anthony...

There's a 5% surcharge paying by credit card - 3% via PayPal... so around £14 by credit card...

Shipping and insured to the UK is around £28 - so they come all in for just shy of £300....

At junder £150 a corner, they are well worth it!

And I guess fitting to a facelift non-VR4 is straight forward...?

Forgot to say - they wave the surcharge for group buys.

g6acb
22-12-2007, 12:27 AM
And I guess fitting to a facelift non-VR4 is straight forward...?

Depends what you want to do with them..... actual fitting of the lights is easy... in time old 'hayes' fashion fitting its the reverse of removal - one screw/10ml bolt head and one clip and they are out..

You have a few options after that

1) wire them up just as they were with the single fogs and have them look pretty

2) wire the outer lights up with the fogs with a 'slash and hack' job

3) Splice the outer lights into the indicators with 2 4700 uF capacitors wired in parallel to make them work as turn flood indicators. The circuit keeps the relay coil energized when the turn signal is in the off part of the cycle. Once the turn signal is actually turned off, the turn flood light will turn off in about half a second...... However this goes a bit spazzy when you put your hazzard warning lights on :inquisiti

or.... and this is probably the way I'm going to go....

4) Make your outer lights the indicators, and use the indicators as either your sidelights / or volvo style daytime running lamps

any other suggestions?

ANTHONY
22-12-2007, 12:31 AM
option 4 sounds good

g6acb
22-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I was a bit worried it might look a bit Subaru-ish?? but having done 1-3, I'll give it a bash!!

ANTHONY
22-12-2007, 12:38 AM
you could do the sidelights blue

g6acb
22-12-2007, 12:46 AM
you could do the sidelights blue

I could also paint my wheels gold.... but I'm not a total tw@t!

HMG1K
22-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Option 2 was prefered option :happy: - until you explained how to get them to work like I want them to in option 3! :iloveyou: Thank you !!!!

But then came option 4 :inquisiti :evilgrin: :inquisiti :thinking: :evilgrin:

I'm liking option 4 as well !!!!

Nice ideas and thanks so much for explaining how option 3 works!

HMG1K
15-01-2008, 02:31 PM
YEY! Just had my VR4 style front fogs delivered for my Elegance! :pimp2:

BOO! Had to pay an additional charge of £63.00 customs and £13 ParcelForce handling fee. /Grrr

Now to suss out the wiring etc to make them into turning lamps, as detailed here! :evilgrin:

Zaid
15-01-2008, 11:20 PM
YEY! Just had my VR4 style front fogs delivered for my Elegance! :pimp2:

BOO! Had to pay an additional charge of £63.00 customs and £13 ParcelForce handling fee. /Grrr

Now to suss out the wiring etc to make them into turning lamps, as detailed here! :evilgrin:

It will be nice to see some photos :)

Zaid
15-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I didnt have time to fit mine yet, am hoping to do this weekend. Sorry for my ignornce guys a silly question here, how do I get the old fog lights out from the bumper?

g6acb
15-01-2008, 11:28 PM
removal is the reverse of fitting

ANTHONY
15-01-2008, 11:42 PM
there is a bolt at the rear of each light then they just slide out

g6acb
15-01-2008, 11:46 PM

detatch the fog light wiring, undo the <------ bolt with either a x head screwdriver or a 10 mm socket, on the outside of the light there is a clip () - squeeze in and you can push the light out from behind.

it will probably shoot out so be ready for it with your other hand / helper

Zaid
16-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Thats of great help g6acb, many thanks:)
Thanks Anthony

HMG1K
16-01-2008, 10:43 AM
It will be nice to see some photos :)

I'm tempted just to slot them in and use as is for now - or stick the job in line and let it wait for me to get the stereo install sorted, and then start work on the fogs.

If you get there before me - stick up the pix!

andy p
21-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Regards using lamps as 'turning lamps'.

The indicator stalk switch feed a live output to the flasher unit. One contact for left another for right.

The power only pulses (flashes) AFTER the flasher unit.

If you splice into the TWO outputs with two relays (one for left and one for right) you can put supply power from the lighting circuit through the relays.

That way, lights on+indicator switch thrown='turning lamp.

I am having trouble getting hold of a wiring manual for the galant. Loads of people selling workshop manuals but no wiring manuals.

I have one for my FTO so they do make them.

If anyone can supply/point me in direction of mnual I would love to help everyone with the wiring 'conundrum.

HMG1K
21-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Regards using lamps as 'turning lamps'.

The indicator stalk switch feed a live output to the flasher unit. One contact for left another for right.

The power only pulses (flashes) AFTER the flasher unit.

If you splice into the TWO outputs with two relays (one for left and one for right) you can put supply power from the lighting circuit through the relays.

That way, lights on+indicator switch thrown='turning lamp.

I am having trouble getting hold of a wiring manual for the galant. Loads of people selling workshop manuals but no wiring manuals.

I have one for my FTO so they do make them.

If anyone can supply/point me in direction of mnual I would love to help everyone with the wiring 'conundrum.

Great production point ! Thanks Andy!:happy:

HMG1K
18-02-2008, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=g6acb]Splice the outer lights into the indicators with 2 4700 uF capacitors wired in parallel to make them work as turn flood indicators. The circuit keeps the relay coil energized when the turn signal is in the off part of the cycle. Once the turn signal is actually turned off, the turn flood light will turn off in about half a second...... However this goes a bit spazzy when you put your hazzard warning lights on :inquisitiQUOTE]

Come to do this job and /JawDroppi - I stopped as I saw the fuse box and inside!

Will I need the relevant fuses for the above to work as the front turn lights like a VR4..? Photos of my fusebox in the engne below with the relevant bits circled.

Nick Mann
18-02-2008, 02:32 PM
It doesn't look like there are any contacts for the relay there. In which case the wiring is not there too and you are back to a hand job! Interesting that you also have the AYC fuse marked on your fuse box holder! Anyone else with a V6 got the same?

HMG1K
18-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks Nick!

And here's the full fuse box cover - see what else you can spot!

bradc
18-02-2008, 07:15 PM
lol, Nick said hand job :)

Seriously though, why not just splice them into the fog lights and have it so you've got all 4 going at once, it's just the easiest way and you just need to connect the bulbs up to the other ones that way.

HMG1K
18-02-2008, 10:10 PM
lol, Nick said hand job :)

Seriously though, why not just splice them into the fog lights and have it so you've got all 4 going at once, it's just the easiest way and you just need to connect the bulbs up to the other ones that way.

That's too easy! Might as well use them as intended!

g6acb
18-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Fuses? :thinking: erm, no, didn't use any of them :inquisiti

Hack and slash all the way - but then again I have a spare wiring loom to play arround with........ got quite a few spare bits actually:inquisiti

N9nebar
28-02-2008, 12:24 AM
quick question about the fog/turning lights , my passenger side light haas a dirty big hole on the back so dirt and water has got in. so i took it out undid all the screws but there is a lot of glue holding the plastic cover on, is it easy to melt with a hairdryer or do i need a heatgun? and whats the best way of going about this? seeing as they are so expensive i don't wanna feck it up. also the chrome has rusted inside the turning light any ideas ,hints and tips greatly apprecciated

HMG1K
28-02-2008, 08:11 PM
YEY! Getting my outer VR4 style lights wired up as VR4 style flood turn lights this Saturday! Got the capacitors, the auto leccie is up to speed on it all - so role on Saturday!

Special thanks go to g6acb for all his help and advice...!

Watch this space!

HMG1K
02-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Help please! My auto electrician hasn't managed to quite get my VR4 front turn lights to come on, on my Elegance...

They are currently working as extra orange indicators as he tried with the capacitors (4700uf 50v) but with using one or two of them they weren't staying on solid as a white light as they should - they flickered at different speeds depending on if it was one or two capacitors he installed... He also tried with and without a relay - but this didn't help...

g6acb - do you have details of what type / style etc you had lying around and fitted to get yours to work please...?

The capcitors I ordered were: 50 Volt Radial Lead 4700uF Electrolytic Capacitor 85ºC. Manufactured to JIS-C5141 (1971) standard, all types fully sleeved. Temperature range: -40°C to +85°C Tolerance: ±20% Leakage current: I = 0.02CV or 3µA whichever is the greater Case Size: 22x41 Lead Pitch: 10.00

I gave my auto leccie all the details from relevant postings here on how they should be wired / work and he says he's done the hard work, it's just this final bit to get them to stay solid!

Thank you all for your help in advance.

g6acb
02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
[quote=HMG1K]
The capcitors I ordered were: 50 Volt Radial Lead 4700uF Electrolytic Capacitor 85ºC. Manufactured to JIS-C5141 (1971) standard, all types fully sleeved. Temperature range: -40°C to +85°C Tolerance: ±20% Leakage current: I = 0.02CV or 3µA whichever is the greater Case Size: 22x41 Lead Pitch: 10.00

quote]

eerrm.... I have had a few beers...... and I dont have an electronic engineering degree :scholar:

and I'm 35 miles away from my other laptop with how I did this.

I back home Monday and can have a look then :thinking:

HMG1K
02-03-2008, 01:37 AM
eerrm.... I have had a few beers...... and I dont have an electronic engineering degree :scholar:

and I'm 35 miles away from my other laptop with how I did this.

I back home Monday and can have a look then :thinking:

Thanks mate! :givemebee Really appreciate it! :beerchug:

g6acb
02-03-2008, 01:40 AM
just looked and its on my server via ftp, just tried uploading it but got told to get bent as its a .doc file

pm me you email and Ill send what I have

HMG1K
02-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Thank you! You have a PM!

g6acb
02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
ditto

HMG1K
11-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Folks, tonight I am the proud owner of a fully working set of VR4-style front fogs & turning lamps - and the turning lamps actually work with the indicators, as intended, on my Elegance model! :afro:

MASSIVE thank you :pimp2: to g6acb for all his help - and that crucial wiring diagram you emailed me! THANK YOU !!!!! :iloveyou:

3) Splice the outer lights into the indicators with 2 4700 uF capacitors wired in parallel to make them work as turn flood indicators. The circuit keeps the relay coil energized when the turn signal is in the off part of the cycle. Once the turn signal is actually turned off, the turn flood light will turn off in about half a second...... However this goes a bit spazzy when you put your hazzard warning lights on :inquisiti

My auto electrician sussed out the whole set up - he even managed to get the turning lamps to stay on solidly when the hazzard lights are on :pimp2:

Those of you with them already will know how great they are!

If anyone west London-way needs a top auto electrician to do this job - let me know!

g6acb
12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Glad you got it sorted :pimp2:

It was never my strong point putting the way elastiktrickery works in my head onto paper :scholar:

I think we are in a club of 2 as far as UK cars with facelift vr4 fogs goes though :thinking:

Next thing you know you'll be turning your rear fog lights into extra brake lights..............:afro:

Johnny_Cashed
12-03-2008, 12:35 AM
HMG1k, have skimmed most of this thread, can you post any additional info gleaned from your experience for anyone wanting to try this later on? Once I've sorted everything I need to, it would be a nice addition to mine. Oh and /ttiwwop

g6acb
12-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah, a how to is in order - I dont run my lights like a vr4 though, I prefer this

bradc
12-03-2008, 06:58 AM
yeah that looks awesome :)

HMG1K
12-03-2008, 10:21 AM
HMG1k, have skimmed most of this thread, can you post any additional info gleaned from your experience for anyone wanting to try this later on? Once I've sorted everything I need to, it would be a nice addition to mine. Oh and /ttiwwop

Good point! I haven't got any photos as the first day of work, a few weeks ago, I dropped the car round to the auto elecy in Northolt and that was a day of investigation for him... Yesterday, he came round to mine whilst I was at work and got the keys from my girlfriend who was in and worked on it from there...

I've got the wiring diagram that g6acb kindly emailed me, along with what the loom should look like, and will post up the capacitors used too when I'm back home... Essentially, the auto elecy used these diagrams, and the info posted here too... I'll get it all into one document and post it here - or on a 'How To' guide...

The best bit is the whole installation cost me £160!

HMG1K
12-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Glad you got it sorted :pimp2:

It was never my strong point putting the way elastiktrickery works in my head onto paper :scholar:

I think we are in a club of 2 as far as UK cars with facelift vr4 fogs goes though :thinking:

Thanks mate - I seriously couldn't have done this without you! :scholar: I've left you a positive reputation too ! :pimp2:

Nick VR4
12-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, a how to is in order - I dont run my lights like a vr4 though, I prefer this

Mine are the same all 4 on :D

HMG1K
12-03-2008, 09:00 PM

Folks, all details are in an article I've just cobbled together from g6acb's Word document (with images) he sent me to help me do this to my car, and a bit from what others wrote across these 4 pages. I've also included where to by the VR4-style units as Mitsubishi dealers in the UK can't, as far as I know through originally trying, get these lamp units. I got mine from JapanParts.com

Good luck - and all thanks and credit go to g6acb ! :afro: :pimp2: :happy:

philip

kamal
16-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Mitsubishi Galant / Legnum VR4 Front Fog lamp Face lifted
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Galant-Legnum-VR4-Front-Foglamp-Facelifted_W0QQitemZ330218396763QQihZ014QQcategory Z10400QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of interest to anyone?

HMG1K
16-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Mitsubishi Galant / Legnum VR4 Front Fog lamp Face lifted
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Galant-Legnum-VR4-Front-Foglamp-Facelifted_W0QQitemZ330218396763QQihZ014QQcategory Z10400QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of interest to anyone?

Member from here, I believe selling it?

kamal
16-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Just been messing with my twin fogs (was trying to take them out to remove rust and repaint) and found that they're already wired to come on with high beams, looks like its been done by someone who knows there stuff.

So i cleaned up a few dry connections and bingo they work! shame i couldn't remove the fog light assembly tho.

g6acb
16-03-2008, 07:53 PM
looks like its been done by someone who knows there stuff.

:3d:

kamal
16-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Cool, i thought the outer ones were supposed to come on with the turning signal and wern't connected up, or was that just the vr4 twin fogs?

HMG1K
16-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Cool, i thought the outer ones were supposed to come on with the turning signal and wern't connected up, or was that just the vr4 twin fogs?

Have you got both of yours behind a clear plastic lens - like the VR4 light you posted on eBay...? If so, and your lights are like that photo, then they'd be wired at the factory on a VR4 to light when you indicate in that direction...

If, like your profile says, you've got a V6 Sport - and you've got twin lights - then one is a driving light and the other is a fog... Couple of members here have these highly rare twin lamps like you may have!

g6acb
16-03-2008, 08:50 PM
You mentioned rust... so you must have the body coloured fogs / driving lamps exclusive to the 1st year (ish) of 'sport' production, Fogs and driving lights that come on with main beam..... the outer metal bezel is prone to rust I gather......

rather than the clear plastic fronted fog / turn indicators a la vr4....

yours sound to be working just as Mitsubishi-san inteded

kamal
17-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Yes they're the body coloured twin type. I think the connections got dry/corroded because the previous owner used to have the engine steam cleaned.

Anyway thanks for the info guys.

HMG1K
13-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Just seen a new high end Mercedes car with front turn lights - just like the VR4 (and those of us with non-VR4's who've retro fitted these) - looks swish and the first non-Galant / Legnum that I've seen with such a feature!

g6acb
13-04-2008, 08:07 PM
My g/f has a 'lowly' merc B class with turn floods too!

bradc
13-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I've seen quite a few jap cars with the feature. Quite a few Nissans have it

Subaru ETA
15-04-2008, 02:25 AM
BA ford fairmont and fairlaanes have it. there was a recall because of the position of the driving lights was illegal, or something like that. we had to rewire them to be turning ones

chris g
18-04-2008, 08:56 AM
An issue with having all four lights on, as 'foglights, is the incorrect direction of the 'on when indicator used' lights

If on when on the road and noticed by the Police then you may be stopped and challenged about the light not directed forward but to the side

When I had my facelift vr-4 I asked at Mitsi Dealer about them both working together and they refused to consider this as foglights illuminate forward but other lights are directed to the side

It looks good but watch out for boys in blue picking you up on it

OrlandonOrtiz
21-08-2012, 06:32 PM
I am sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a few questions regarding wiring:

- if I decide to wire the outer lights to work with the fog lights, do I need a relay? Or can I just splice the wiring together?

- if I decide to wire the outer lights as orange indicators, do I need a relay? Or can I just splice the wiring to the side repeaters?

- If I decide to wire the outer lights to work as corner/flood lights, how should I proceed? This old topic mentions a certain DOC file with schematics, but I haven't found it anywhere!

Cheers

HMG1K
23-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I am sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a few questions regarding wiring:

- if I decide to wire the outer lights to work with the fog lights, do I need a relay? Or can I just splice the wiring together?

- if I decide to wire the outer lights as orange indicators, do I need a relay? Or can I just splice the wiring to the side repeaters?

- If I decide to wire the outer lights to work as corner/flood lights, how should I proceed? This old topic mentions a certain DOC file with schematics, but I haven't found it anywhere!

Cheers

Hey Orlando - have a search of the VR4 library where I put together a comprehensive guide on how to wire front turn lights and the simple parts you need. In the UK no main dealer had a clue how to do it or even supply the lights. I bought them in Japan and got a car electrical specialist to install on my V6-24V model. Good luck!

Philip

OrlandonOrtiz
23-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey Orlando - have a search of the VR4 library where I put together a comprehensive guide on how to wire front turn lights and the simple parts you need. In the UK no main dealer had a clue how to do it or even supply the lights. I bought them in Japan and got a car electrical specialist to install on my V6-24V model. Good luck!

Philip

Hello, mate!

I tried searching for articles under your screen name, but I got: "There is no available content written by HMG1K"

And I've used the search throughly, tried twin fogs, twin fog, dual fogs, dual fog, jdm and other variations -- I only found some vague references to the capacitors :-(

EDIT: FOUND IT! http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?30348-Wiring-facelift-VR4-style-turn-lamps

Do you still have that DOC file with the schematics?

Cheers!

peter thomson
23-08-2012, 12:22 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?30348-Wiring-facelift-VR4-style-turn-lamps

peter thomson
23-08-2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?30348-Wiring-facelift-VR4-style-turn-lamps

oh just spotted u have found it

OrlandonOrtiz
23-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks anyways! :-D

OrlandonOrtiz
23-08-2012, 01:09 PM
@HGM1K

Mate, your inbox is full! :-D

I wanted to PM you a question, but here goes:

Hello, mate!

Thanks for your heads up on the VR4 twin fog question.

I still haven't decided wether to hook mine as turn lamps, as extra fogs or as extra winkers.

(My package hasn't arrived from Japan yet).

I have one question: do you remember what kind of bulbs are used in this twin fog? Are they the same on both ends? (fog and turn)?

I quite like the idea of finding a nice amber/orange LED bulb to have the outer lights work as a winker ;-D

Cheers

Anderz
23-08-2012, 01:49 PM
The fog light bulb is H3 55w and the turn light bulb is a 21w bulb, same as front indicator lights (Ba15s)

OrlandonOrtiz
23-08-2012, 03:06 PM
The fog light bulb is H3 55w and the turn light bulb is a 21w bulb, same as front indicator lights (Ba15s)

CHEERS!

That makes things much easier to decide...

I'm probably going to buy some Ba15s orange LEDs and have the outer lights work as winkers then.

HMG1K
23-08-2012, 09:51 PM
@HGM1K

Mate, your inbox is full! :-D

I wanted to PM you a question, but here goes:

Hey!

Thanks for the heads up - just cleaned out a few old messages to give me some free space!

No point doing the front turns as extra fogs, as they are angled out toward the curb / centre of the road so the light beam will (I think) be pointless - however they do make a difference when used as turn lights and when turning in a dark lane show how great they are.

Extra winkers - again no point - what would work is having them as daytime running lights. Okay, they won't be LEDs like modern cars - but it could work, aesthetically.

What do you mean with your earlier question: "Do you still have that DOC file with the schematics?" - Me being dumb! Let me know and will help if I can :-)

OrlandonOrtiz
11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
What do you mean with your earlier question: "Do you still have that DOC file with the schematics?" - Me being dumb! Let me know and will help if I can :-)

Hi! Sorry for taking this long to reply.

Earlier in the thread, you mentioned someone e-mailed you a document with the schematics / wiring diagram. I found the images in your thread, though -- thanks!

By the way, do I need to use a relay if I decide to use those lights as extra fog lamps? How about extra winkers, would I need a relay in this case?

Cheers

Anderz
12-09-2012, 08:32 AM
You wont need a relay if you connect them directly to the fog lights or signal lights, but as said earlier don't see the point in doing that

OrlandonOrtiz
12-09-2012, 03:12 PM
You wont need a relay if you connect them directly to the fog lights or signal lights, but as said earlier don't see the point in doing that

I'm a complete dork when it comes to capacitors and relays, I will probably start a fire if I try to hook the lights up correctly.

So at least initially, I want to have them working in one way or another, and in the future I'll have an auto electrician do the proper installation for me.

OrlandonOrtiz
14-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Guys, please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but how do I fit the black bracket that comes with the fog lamps?

Does anyone have pictures?

Cheers!