PDA

View Full Version : engine cut at high speed

Andyman110
09-07-2006, 07:54 PM
my leggie being wierd. when i hit 120 mph it cuts out it has happened twice, ihave had it to 155mph a couple of times before so i know it will go.
now the times it has cut is when fuel has been low, is this a saftey thing or do i have a problem.
it runs aok otherwise.:inquisiti

Physician
09-07-2006, 08:31 PM
my leggie being wierd. when i hit 120 mph it cuts out it has happened twice, ihave had it to 155mph a couple of times before so i know it will go.
now the times it has cut is when fuel has been low, is this a saftey thing or do i have a problem.

'LOW' as in .... the fuel low warning light was on? If so then it could well be a safety system we don't know about.

Wodjno
09-07-2006, 08:33 PM

Just sounds to me that the fuel tank hasn't enough fuel to supply the pump at the rate of knots that it is needed.. :speechles Sure there isn't a prob.. :thinking: I have had it befor too.. :happy:

bradc
09-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Fill the car up and see what happens. There was another member who had a similar problem recently, he replaced his fuel pump and all the problems went away.

Nick Mann
09-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Could be fuel cut. I have had a similar thing in my first VR4. This one has never done it, but it has an FCD fitted.

Wodjno
09-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Could be fuel cut. I have had a similar thing in my first VR4. This one has never done it, but it has an FCD fitted.

But it's only when his tank is low Nick :happy:

Nick Mann
09-07-2006, 09:54 PM
And mine was only when the tank was low. Still felt like fuel cut as I understand it?

OSiRiS
09-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Put more fuel in it.

Because you are going so fast, the fuel could be moving around in the tank away from the fuel pickup lines to the engine.

Something to think about?

Andyman110
09-07-2006, 10:17 PM
yeah i think low fuel is a prob will fill up tomoz and have an early spin.
thanx guys

BraindG
10-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Ive suffered from problems when on Low fuel. I was going "well-fast" and the petrol light came on, went round a bend to join the motorway, and cough, cough splutter splutter, then it "died".. when i stopped, and turned on ignition, i noticed the fuel level was well below the empty line, unlike how it was sitting when going "well-fast"...

Paul C
10-07-2006, 02:21 PM
had something similar myself recentley but didn't matter what the fuel level was. I changed the spark plugs but didn't tighten a couple down properly so at about 105-120 it would missfire causing powerlossand slight hesitation and then it would pick up after a couple of stamps on the peddle. i nipped up all the spark plugs and couple had a few turns to go, problem solved. I changeste ht leads to magnecor at same time so could of had a dodgey ht lead passing to earth. But ithink it was plugs.