PDA

View Full Version : Anyone stripped their own mags?

Lucas
10-07-2006, 06:52 AM
I have a problem with the coating on my mags flaking off really bad. It looks hideous but I can't really afford to take it in to the pros to repair it.

Has anyone ever stripped the coating off their mags? If so what solvents, equipment, methods did you use? I'm sure my mags would look fine without their shadow chrome coating and would much rather drive around without my patchy wheels.

Any info appreciated!!! :happy:

bradc
10-07-2006, 08:19 AM
I went to a place on Marua road who are painting my new mags for $400 all up, I thought that was quite good. Or you could just claim it on your warranty :)

I've never done it myself, so I have no idea sorry.

Lucas
10-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Or you could just claim it on your warranty :)

Haha, Uh-oh my mag coating has failed, this is severely hazardous (to any poor bugga that has to look at them), please fix it! /pan

MPBVr4
10-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Yep I have stripped mags before then had them polished. (see 3000GT) I just used a readily available DIY paint stripper called "Nitro-Mors" basically a caustic solution. Hard work but worked OK.:2thumbsup

Lucas
10-07-2006, 09:01 AM
I suppose it would be wise to remove or cover the rubber before using this type of stuff???

Looks like it worked pretty good for you, nice work!

MPBVr4
10-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I suppose it would be wise to remove or cover the rubber before using this type of stuff???

Looks like it worked pretty good for you, nice work!

I actually had the tyres off the rims at the time, easier for the company that polished them to handle. But you could strip with tyres on, caustic isn't very agressive to rubber, anyway you keep rinsing with water as you do the stripping so shouldn't be a problem.

Lucas
11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Might give it a go one weekend when I have some time... hmm where to find some...