PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Galant Vr4 ??? do they exist ??

Evil_Mx6
12-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi guys, im lookin at buyin this car here...
there are no vr4 forums in aust so im hopin u can help.
The car is an auto and it says that its a vr4 (personal import)
However do all vr4's have leather and were there any auto's realeased ?
Here is a link to the car and its ad
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3062304&cur rent_rec=10&used_rec=1&total_rec=17&sort_type=&tot al_rec=17&sort_type=&keyword=VR4&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

would anyone please be able to help me ???

Physician
12-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Yep, that all looks genuine buddy.

PS: MAnuals and autos produced with and without leather.

bradc
12-07-2006, 03:07 AM
looks good, but why buy one from aussie when there are tons in NZ?

Evil_Mx6
12-07-2006, 05:25 AM
im from aussie thats all :)
i was just curious coz i have tried to do some research and found no info on the automatic vr4's ??
i was thinkin that it may have been a convert and that...are the autos reliable and how do they go power wise ???

bradc
12-07-2006, 06:07 AM
Ahh, your country says NZ. All mitsi auto boxes are fairly crap, I would try and stay away from it if possible.

Evil_Mx6
12-07-2006, 06:20 AM
well the guy says that it was just rebuilt recently and it is still under warranty. Wats the average lifespan of the autos if treated right and serviced regularly ?
i am keen on the car since i am on a real tight budget. Will be gettin married and i only want to spend as low as possible, so there are really no other decent alterantives besides a crappy commodore or falcon...
Have any of you had experiences with the autos ?? wat would be the power handlin limit and how fast are they when stock ?? any times ??

Thanx heaps for your help guys btw :)

Rossco Type-S
12-07-2006, 06:40 AM
well the guy says that it was just rebuilt recently and it is still under warranty. Wats the average lifespan of the autos if treated right and serviced regularly ?
i am keen on the car since i am on a real tight budget. Will be gettin married and i only want to spend as low as possible, so there are really no other decent alterantives besides a crappy commodore or falcon...
Have any of you had experiences with the autos ?? wat would be the power handlin limit and how fast are they when stock ?? any times ??

Thanx heaps for your help guys btw :)

Any high powered 4wd auto is not going to be brilliantky reliable, but they aren't too bad, if thrashed or the car has too much HP they lose their smoothness and will eventually pack up. My old leggy was extensively modified (approx 300- 320 hp), at about 101,000kms the gear box started to slip occassionally and lost its smoothness, so I decided to trade it in rather than see what happens

They are really expensive to fix or replace if they pack up.

Power...they handle about 350+ hp. Much more than that you would need an aftermarket oil cooler. Stock about 6 seconds for 0-100km enough to beat older WRXs off the line, more than a match for Ozzy V8s (except LS2 HSVs or BF FPVs)

Evil_Mx6
12-07-2006, 06:58 AM
oh thats plenty of support for power. I am only lookin at raising the stock boost to 14-16 psi. Also how did u go in regards to fuel economy. My old suby Rs Turbo ended up gettin about 100km/ 11 litres, is this about the same for one of these ? seein as the box was just rebuilt and still under warranty it should be good...
wat other info could u guys give me about these cars ??
as u can tell i am really new to all this...

cheers

Rossco Type-S
12-07-2006, 07:13 AM
oh thats plenty of support for power. I am only lookin at raising the stock boost to 14-16 psi. Also how did u go in regards to fuel economy. My old suby Rs Turbo ended up gettin about 100km/ 11 litres, is this about the same for one of these ? seein as the box was just rebuilt and still under warranty it should be good...
wat other info could u guys give me about these cars ??
as u can tell i am really new to all this...

cheers

They don't handle 14-16 psi through the whole rev range. If you have the boost mapped through a piggy back ECU it could handle 15 or so at peak, but would need to drop back to say 12 psi at higher revs.

Fuel economy is pretty bad. Around town expect between 12 and 14 L/100km, depending how you drive. You can do better if you keep it of boost most of the time.

Other info... an unmodified one will suprise the crap out of people. With a few mods they are extremely quick. Handling is good (very good with aftermarket struts). Brakes could be better...a lot of people here would recommend that if you only did one mod it would be Brembos. The clocks seem to fail on just about all VR4s! TCS does nothing, you notice virtually no difference having it off. AYC is good, a little bit unreliable on earlier models, so check that the fluids have been changed.

Rossco Type-S
12-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Forget everything I said...I just saw the ad and realised you are talking about an old VR4, not the 8th generation.

GroundControl
12-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Has anyone actually looked at the ad linked? It's a 6G, not 8G that is being looked at here...

beaten by a few seconds /pan

Evil_Mx6
12-07-2006, 07:20 AM
cool cool, so wat could u tell me about the older model that im lookin at buyin ?
i really appreciate your help :)
any help about the auto tranny/ performance/ reliability/ fuel economy ??
anything is going to be great its a "1990 VR4 Galant"

Thanx heaps guys :)

Rossco Type-S
12-07-2006, 07:26 AM
http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/mitsubishi/galant/1989_10/16274/

Above are the specs. They use the same engine as an Evo, so huge power gains are possible. Other than that can't help.

bradc
12-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I read the link and read it was a 6G ;)

Basically huge power out of it is possible, but I wouldn't do it on that transmission

Evil_Mx6
12-07-2006, 08:13 AM
cheers mate :)

Evil_Mx6
13-07-2006, 06:34 AM
can anyone else offer any info ??

Xeroid
13-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Evo '0', probably been thrashed. How many k's ?

Link to the sale seems broken so can't check details

It's 16 years old, depends on how well it's been maintained, modded, rebuilt or whatever. Over here it's the early boy racers car ripe for modding. If it's still stock it's a miracle, if it's not thrashed it's another miracle.
Good luck ....

Evil_Mx6
13-07-2006, 03:51 PM
this is the link
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3062304&current_rec=2&used_rec=0&total_rec=3&sort_type=&total_rec=3&sort_type=&keyword=VR4&state_id=7&search_distance=25

it seems fairly stock, only an exhaust, dude sounds asian and seems to be one of them careful ones who take care of their cars. Im gonna be havin a look at it on the weekend. It has just had the auto tranny rebuilt with receipts to show for it and it is still under warranty. My main concern is how reliable the auto trannys are ? i know that the 2 litre turbo motors are pretty strong and reliable. Do they use a tdo5 standard ? What other things should i look for when inspecting it besides the basics ?

As far as mods go its already got a 2.5" exhst. And down the track ill raise the boost to 15 psi....
any info would be great :)

agilroy
15-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Hey,

I have had a few of these early VR-4's. I still miss both of them to this day...

Auto ones come with TD04 turbo's as apposed to TD05 and from memory only 390cc injectors (I could be wrong on this, its been years) as apposed to 450cc of manual and 510cc of the EVO 0. 12psi would be the recommended limit 14-16psi will deffinetly blow your wedding budget. I see above someone has mentioned the words EVO 0... this is not a EVO O and does not have a EVO O engine.

The motors in these have very very strong bottom ends, generally dont give any grief if you do oil changes every 5k and look after it, although some older 4G63's that have had a hard life suffer seriously from blow by and you will find oil leaking out everywhere after a while.

I found these older ones to be much like my current 96, quiet, comfortable, fast, spacious and reliable if treated correctly.

My 2 Cents

Good luck!!

Evil_Mx6
15-07-2006, 10:56 AM
thanx mate :) how did u find your fuel economy to be like ? was it fairly good on petrol ? have u heard anythin bout the autos? would it be the same tranny found in an RVR ?
cheers guys. Im gonna be lookin at it 2moro hopefully :)

agilroy
16-07-2006, 06:07 AM
Fuel economy... what do you class as bad or good? I use to get about 120K's of 15l of gas in both of them give or take a bit. 15psi minimum all day everyday, 18 in the second one.

I dont know alot about the early auto trans in these cars, but I can tell you that a mate had one and it never gave problems for 2 years of hard driving.

Evil_Mx6
16-07-2006, 02:15 PM
cheers mate, i was hopin for somethin along the lines of 10-11 litres for every 100kms travelled with easy soft drivin. So id be fair to say it looks like a possibilty :)
i had a look at it 2day and it seems that he had it imported from NZ recently. anyway i ended up puttin a deposit on it so hopefully all goes well :) once i get it i will post up some decent pics for you all...

agilroy
21-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Yeah man, get us some decent pics.. I love these old things... awesome cars!!

Evil_Mx6
23-10-2006, 05:12 AM
thanx heaps for all your help guys, it has been quite a while since i last posted, but i did end up buyin the car....it has been pretty good and i installed a larger front mount on it as well :)
i have found an aussie based forum for the vr4 but i still need your expertise on some q's.
i am now in the process of upping the boost to 14psi. Some of the guys on the aussie site are sayin that the auto wont handle it and just blow on me whereas some of u guys have said that it will cope fine....bear in mind that my vr4 is the OLDER GENERATION......E39A model 6TH GENERATION
it has had a reco'd tranny when i first bought it
this is the comment....
btw here are some pics
http://www.putfile.com/evil_mx6/images/33939
http://www.team4g.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3797
http://www.team4g.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3692&start=15

"""Monsterbishi wrote:
v-r-4 wrote:
what about leaving it auto n putting a bigger turbo in it? like would that destroy the gearbox or would i have to do sumthing to it?? n what would be a good turbo for a auto like sumthing not to big sumthing that would put out about 15~18psi n what would be an approx cost of it?

and thanx for all the info guys its a big help

ok, think of it this way, here's how long our auto e39a lasted when we upped the boost:

12psi = 3 months
14psi = 2 months
18psi = 17 days.

Each time it was a freshy rebuilt gearbox with $2k of parts thrown into it.

That was on the td04, a td05 would rip the auto apart without even batting an eyelid, keep in mind that the auto gearbox in your car is from a non-turbo galant, mitsu never strengthened it to cope, so even running factory boost, it's right on the edge."""