PDA

View Full Version : A problem with my AC fans

infused
14-07-2006, 08:22 AM
just bought a 1997 Legnum and after about 200km ran into some problems.

The fans for the air con have stopped working. Just all of a sudden. Normally I could turn the car off and back on and they would work sweet, now nothing. Everything else about the ac is ok, it is heating and cooling, just the fans have died.

Is there anyway I can fix this myself? I'd take it back but it's a work car and I cannot really afford to have it off the road.

I'd love some help as it is freezing this morning and i'd like some heat in my car :)

Spirit
14-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Have you checked the fuse ?

It's no.15 in the engine bay fuse box

bradc
14-07-2006, 08:48 AM
I don't know much about that sort of thing myself, but I would suggest replacing the fuse first as well. If the new fuse blows as well then it is safe to assume one of the fans is either dead of there is a short circuit somewhere.

infused
15-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Just checked the fuses and it's all good. Fans still not working. How hard is it to get in behind there.

You See
15-07-2006, 08:07 AM
If your fan's fudged, I have one which you can have providing you're in AKL??

infused
15-07-2006, 08:08 AM
If your fan's fudged, I have one which you can have providing you're in AKL??

I'm in Wellington :/

How easy is it to get to the fan? What would have broken?

infused
15-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Must admit I don't know where the multiplug connector is on these, but the old trick used to be shorting the contacts in the plug and if they are ok the fans will turn

Sorry, i'm a bit of a nub, could you explain this in a bit more detail please?

Spirit
15-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Sorry mate, misread this and thought you meant the radiator fans.

infused
15-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Sorry mate, misread this and thought you meant the radiator fans.

Ah :) Sweet as. No one seems to have had a problem with the AC fans, can't find any info anywhere.

Physician
15-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Ah :) Sweet as. No one seems to have had a problem with the AC fans, can't find any info anywhere.

Ah! I was going to send you details by email but you don't have one listed.

Paul Beazer
15-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Richard, you are the air con guru!

Physician
15-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Richard, you are the air con guru!

Lol ........... did you get your AC sorted from that info?

Paul Beazer
15-07-2006, 04:55 PM
TBH i've checked as much as i can, the guys who fixed my car in march are going to have a looksee. I could be the crash damaged something i cant see. If theres any work to be done, they'll bill it to the insurance co under the claim. Only trouble is i cant over to them for 2 weeks! Aah well.
Thanks again Richard.

infused
15-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Ah! I was going to send you details by email but you don't have one listed.

Hey, you can send the info to zerodaydump at hotmail.com :)

Physician
16-07-2006, 12:10 AM

:happy: Done ...........

infused
16-07-2006, 01:06 AM

Cheers, going by the diagram I just wiggled all the wires under the glove box. I noticed there was quite a bit of condensation on the black box under there. I don't know what that was. It's where the ABS plug is. After I wiggled all the wires, guess what, they started working :thinking:

Cheers for the info.