PDA

View Full Version : What previvous mitsu's have you owned?

ritch_w
27-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Its gone kinda quiet in here so heres a good question;

what mitsubishis have you owned? and what did you think of them?

my previous mitsubishi's

Lancer (EX) 1.4GLX 1980 (V reg) met brown - 1st proper car (after a 1965 mini 850!) RWD and loved it. had alleycat alloys on it - well smart!

Lancer (EX) 1.4GLX 1981 (W reg) met silver - robbed the good bits for my brown lancer, patched it up, MoTd it and flogged it

Lancer (EX) 1.4 GLX 1982 (X reg) Met Blue - MoT failure, sorted the cyl head, had it welded up and ran it for ages - sound motor - fitted lancer turbo wheels to make it go faster!

Colt 1.2 1980 W reg - bought it to tart up & flog it

had a break from mitsu'd for a while - but still had them in the family my old man had one of the last Cordia 1.8 Turbo (1990 Greg) which was rapid - even after 150K and me mum had a tredia - in beige - nice (LOL!)

Colt 1.3GLX 1996 Preg - Met Silver, (Bought for the missus) 9months old and engine blew up 1 week after a service - wife was not impressed, got a full new engine under warranty - as you would expect!

Colt 1.3 GLX 1997 Preg - Met Green (again bought for missus) cracking wee car - faster than the BMW i had at the time!, this one had the option elec pack sunroof, extra airbags etc. sadly had to part with this for something bigger to accomodate prams and kids etc........

Carisma 1.6 GLX 16v R reg - Met Silver - (wifes motor) still have this, tremendous value for money and very frugal. massive boot for prams and kids stuff.

Galant V6 Sport 02reg - met indigo blue - my baby! - what can i say - love it, it just seems to get better and better. extremely good looking car that looks sporty without being flash - nice and descrete.

ok - what do you have?

venomboy
27-10-2003, 12:10 PM
FTO gr at present, which is my first Mitsubishi, although I also have a Mazda 626 2.5 V6. I used to be an Alfa man for the cheap speed, but then I liked doing my own mechanics, a lot! Don't have the time these days with wife and kiddie, so japanese reliability counts. Also I like Japan, I was married there and have friends there, I like to visit whenever I can and like the japanese spec cars, they're always a bit more interesting than our spec. So I am looking for a VR4 to replace my fast but boring 626.

BraindG
27-10-2003, 12:17 PM
6g galant (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1081)

venomboy
27-10-2003, 12:24 PM
now, there, you see, Just 6g galant? what sort of reply is that? why did you choose it ? Did you have it for long? what was it like? Let's get some background here.

zedy1
27-10-2003, 09:11 PM
okay ive had

6x7g galant 2.0 v6-24
1x7g galant 2.5 v6-24 4wd 4ws

all were good but wanted a change from a v6 to v8 or v12

THEN I

test drove me vr4 and i had to buy cause its awsome

Kieran
27-10-2003, 10:17 PM
I've always liked them, but this is the first Mitsubishi I've owned.

My parents had a old 'W' Reg Mitsubishi Colt... went like stink as I remember (in it's day)... in fact Dad's driving used to make me cry (I was only 4 at the time:D). I remember that it had two gearsticks - The standard 4-speed, and a lever that altered the final drive ratio(I think?)... Two settings: 'Power' or 'Economy'... Cracking idea:)

Nick Mann
27-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Just the V6-24 estate.

Not a huge fan of Mitsubishi in general - but a huge fan of the galant, esp in 8g form. Not a fan of anything else in the range apart from the Shogun, but don't want anything in that type of car at the moment. Having seen the next gen galant I can't see myself having another Mitsy after this one. I guess all good things come to an end. Hopefully I will have many years fun from the VR4!

zedy1
28-10-2003, 12:37 AM
same here m8

Spirit
28-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Had a 6G Galant GLSi which we had for about a year and only had to replace one headlight bulb in that time ! That was about 6 yrs ago and is one of the reasons we went for another Galant, just decided to go OTT this time and got the VR4

KiwiTT
28-10-2003, 03:01 AM
I have owned 4 Galants.

1978 Mitsubishi Galant 2000 GSL - Auto
Colour Bright Orange.

Always thought a car should have 4 headlights. It had 165/70 R13 and I changed it to 185/70 tyres. I even painted in the tyre names with white paint make it look sporty. The Wheels were painted silver to look like alloys.

It reached 200,000 km, before I sold it to a work collegue, who let it die.

1987 Mitsubishi "Galant" Sigma Super Saloon - Auto
Light Blue

I really liked this one as well. Changed the tyres from 185/70 R14 to 195/60 and added firm monroe gas-shocks all round. Also painted the wheels silver. On a long sweeping corner, I had it going at 160kph regularly. I took off the airfilter tube that was connected to the front fender and left it open and facing front of the car. This where I learnt about air intake and power. I was going up the a hill on the motorway and reached 180kph and was overtaken by an 6g VR4. I said I should get one of those.

Reached 240,000 km traded it in for the next.

1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2000 DOHC-16v - Auto
Silver

This car initially wallowed a bit, but was much quicker in acceleration, but could not handle as well as my last car. Changed the tyres from 195/60 to 205/55 and added gas shocks all-round. Handled much better. It was stolen for a robbery and was returned. I then installed an alarm. Was looking at spending another $3,000 over the next year on it, Types, paintwork etc. As it was already worth less than that, I decided this was not a car I really wanted to own long term.

Started looking at other cars, and arranged for a family member to buy this one.

Looked at Toyota MR-2, Nissan 200SX (Silvia ); Ford Probe, Mitsubishi FTO and 8g VR-4.

The FTO could be had for $12-15,000 and the VR-4 for $20-30,000. I settled on the FTO as this was at a Mitsi and would be a good car. My wife said, If you got the this car, you are not going to say to me "I really should have a more conservative executive car".

This started me thinking, so I browsed the web again and spotted this VR-4 for $15,000.

1996 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type S - Auto - My DREAM CAR.
Silver.

WOW. Checked it out, drove it, purchased it. As you all know this is one hell of a car. 2.5 V6, 24v , Twin Turbo, 4WD, AYC, TC, etc. etc. The AA said it was OK, so that was it, but I was unsure of it's history. Did a full "D" maintenance service on it, all belts, all fluids and plugs. I at least know it is now well maintained. Service History, being missing. At $10,000 less than normal retail, this was a small price to pay.

It is now my car and I aim to keep it on the road for as long as economically possible.

Possible, next car a 2002-3 model in 10 years or just maintain this one.

adam_shaw
28-10-2003, 10:38 AM
I'm now on my second Galant

Galant #1, a red '97 V6-24 saloon
Galant #2, a silver '00 V6-sport Estate

The main reason for getting the first was to get out of the company car scheme and the Ford Mondeo that went with it, I drove a freinds 2.0l Diesel Galant a number of times and always enjoyed it so when the time came I thought, "I'll have one of those..."

Loved the first one to bits, then some prat rear ended it at some lights, and value of a Galant being what it is in the UK it just wasn't worth repairing.

So, cue Galant #2, I'd been unable to find one I liked - and was on my way to the Jeep dealer to sign on the line, when I thought I'd swing by the Mitsubishi dealership on the way, and 'lo there was Galant #2, drove it - bought it.

What can ya do? :rolleyes:

ritch_w
28-10-2003, 11:21 AM
my folks have always had mitsubishi's as well, my old hasnt bought anything else since 1981 - he has used every car so far business use and high mileage - and never had any major issues (execpt for exploding deisel engine!)

old mans 1 st Mitsu -
Lancer EX 1600 GSR (1981 W) White with turbo boot spoiler and side decals

Tredia 1.4 GLX (1981 Y) - met green boring after the lancer.....so

Tredia 1.6 Turbo (1985 B) - racing red - some what quicker than the last one!

Galant 1.8 Turbo Diesel (1987 D - 5Gmodel) - met gold - nice big car, and quick too.

Cordia 1.8 Turbo - (1990G) - red - very quick, even with 150K, he got rid of it when it failed its last mot - he couldn't be bother with fixing it.... a waste - i could have had it!

Sapporo 2.4 Saloon (1989 P/P) - white - luxo barge with all the toys, not many about then or now

Carisma 1.6 GLX - (1996 P) - blue - saloon with boot spoiler, reliable if unexciting

Galant 2.0 GLSi - (1992 P/P 6G) - white - nice big galant, took over 120K with just the radiator giving up

Carisma 1.8 GLSi auto (1997 P/P) - met red, auto for the old man!

me mums old mitsus;

Galant 1600 gsr - (1981 W) - are these 3G or 4G (same model as the 1st galant turbos - around '82) this was nice big car in met red - i smashed it though
- women drivers fault ;)

Sapporro 2.0 GSR coupe 1981 W - big old bruiser loved this car but was never allowed to drive it...

Colt 1.4 GLX 1983 Y - whoops another wee bump in the front

Tredia 1.4 GLX 1985 B beige and rusted away to nothing

thats quite a few we've had - i wonder if mitsu will give us a prize!!! (not!!!)

Japmetal
28-10-2003, 11:39 PM
I had a 1993 Lancer GLXi [new-style 1.6 engine rather than the old 1.5] before my Galant, which was tarted up a bit and an absolute scream to drive - and a good deal more individual [especially when I'd finished with it !] than the Novas, Saxos and similar my friends have.

Unfortunately, some old tart decided to pull out of a junction and into the side of it, so between the bodywork & rear suspension damage, that went in the bin, and I went on the hunt for a Lancer GTi 4WD; Unfortunately the only one I could find had just been sold, so I went to see a galant GTi 4WD - and here I am !!

Dmac1969
08-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Okay , heres mine!

My 1st Mitsu was a 1991 6G Galant 2.0 Glsi 'Coupe' (ie hatchback!) in burgandy met , I had a 2.8i Capri at the time which i liked but id had it a while and had always liked mitsubishis , so when i saw this car come in , i bought it! My impressions? Well , at the time it was my 1st car with electric windows/sunroof ect so it was good to have so many 'toys' to play with , also it was a supremely comfortable car to drive. It wasnt that fast tho , with only 115 bhp , and burgandy wasnt exactly my fave colour....but overall i liked the car. But after about 5 months of ownership (and much use of Wonder Wheels on those bloody cross spoke alloys...) I was offered a chance to buy.....

My next Mitsu! 1992 K Lancer Gti-16V 5 door 1.8. Now this was more like it! Bright red , a Blaupunkt Rad/Cass/CD Changer 15" white compo MO wheels , superchipped ect ect! I loved this car to bits , probably my fave Mitsubishi to date , a lovely revvy engine , plenty of power (145 bhp after chip...and it was such a light car compared to modern stuff) and a sporty image was definately my cup of tea. This car was one of only 3 (out of 17) that have made it past my mandatory (almost) 'keep a year and then trade in' rule!!! Now I think mitsubishi missed a trick when they dumped the Lancer for the Carisma and never gave us a Carisma GTi-16V (2.0 engine , sports wheels , bucket seats ect , maybe about 150 bhp...not everyone can afford to run an evo you know!)

Anyway , time came to trade the Lancer in and there followed a few non mitsubishi cars (944,Brooklands Capri , 2x 1.8T powered Octavias inc 1 vRS) Circumstances in early this year forced me to buy a cheaper car tho , so I spied a low milage facelift Lancer 1.6 (95 M) at my dealer , bought it and enjoyed it for a few months (never expected to keep it long , but it was a cracking car for its age)..when I saw my current Galant I just had to have it as I love Vee engined cars and Id never had an Auto before , also the stereo is bloody great!!! Im enjoying my Galant a lot , my sport-a-like bodykit is progressing nicely and i hope to enjoy her for a while yet to come!

krisby
16-08-2004, 10:44 PM
have:

1995 Diamante 25V, thats the 2.5L V6 model, engine pretty much the same as the non turbo VR4 I beleive. It has about 200-210bhp, so not too bad, yet a 25ST supposedly has 160bhp, yet it felt as quick as the diamante, and the weight is about 150kg between them, so I dunno. But good car, high spec, reliable, and like all mitsi V6s, expensive at timing belt change, cost $1166 last week with all the hydraulic tensioners, the belt at $314 alone, water pump, bearings, the list went on, but atleast now I know it is good for another 100,000km, as it is I had it changed at 115000 instead of 100000.

The wife will keep the diamante, I am getting rid of my 525i to get an 2.5STR.

Used to have:

RVR - to you norvern people, its a little mini SUV type thing, permanent 4WD, 2L inline 4 motor, and 2 seats in the back (yes that was two, 2), but they do slide from right behind the driver to nearly all the way back. Has bull bars too, it wasn't a bad car I suppose, the wife liked it, because the diffs were locked it was easy to squeal the tires on roundabouts.

Bal
20-08-2004, 12:04 PM
my gls is my first mitsubishi. had my run of cavaliers, saabs and then a clio (insurance issues :( ... ) then decided i want something big and smooth that i can cruise in.

looked at everything and chanced upon an R plate red gls up near oxford. nice car but hadnt been looked after . i kinda decided that that was the car for me so basically started looking for them everywhere.

then one day i found on in leicester. 40k on the clock, £3k asking price, T plate perfect condition. up i went.

BUT ... it all went to pot when the dealership said they had lost the service manual so i had to assume that it had not service history. they showed me the hpi check certificate thing. i was happy.

so i said throw in half tank of petrol, do a cam belt change, re mot it and sort the tax for hte next 6 months and ill give you the full £3k.

a week later i am the proud owner of this beautiful car - currently with big dents due to pikey scum.

the only that it has let me down on so far is the front exhaust piece but that is now sorted.

i am happy

Bal

zentac
20-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Im onto my Third Mitsubishi FTO, this one is a little special :) and Ive had one 1991 Galant VR4.

I-S
23-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Mine is my first car, but my family's third mitsubishi.

First was a 1989 G reg 3.0 V6 Shogun. This replaced a B reg Daihatsu Fourtrack which we (as a family) had outgrown. Only car we've ever bought new. Dark metallic red over silver. A couple of years later this was stolen...

By which time the 4x4 game had moved on somewhat. In the end, it came down to the then new shape Isuzu Trooper and the then new shape shogun (the one that lasted until very recently). Finding a decent s/h one (as was all we could afford with the insurance money) was hard, but we managed it. 1991 J reg 3.0 V6 LWB in dark metallic red over silver. My parents have this car to this very day, now with 118000 miles on it. It is also the car that I drove quite a bit after passing my test.... so, straight from a 972cc, 3 cylinder corsa to a 3.0 V6 shogun... I hate small cars.

Then I was coming up to graduation from uni (well, I started my research around november previous, but there you are) and wanted to buy a car with my saved up student loan. Research, research, research. To begin with I wanted 6+ cylinders, RWD or 4WD. Couldn't afford to run a BMW, subaru legacy off the chart for residual value, it wasn't looking good. So, reigned in my requirements, and looked at the deeply dull and mundane. Ford Focus estate, Vauxhall Astra... I am not a mainstream person in pretty much any respect, and I just could not see me in a mainstream car. Vauxhall certainly wasn't me, especially after the Corsa Torture. Focus... The residuals for what you got were silly, with a 98S estate 1.6 with 99000 miles going for £5k. Without ABS or rear discs.

Galant. Ever since I first saw the 8G galant I thought "that looks sharp". So, let's take a peek. And oh my, they're worth nothing second hand. I think it was around that point that hope was lost for anything else. As luck would have it, just as I finished my finals at uni, one came up locally which fitted the bill. Only problem was it was an auto, and I wanted a manual. I thought that 2.0 auto would be too sluggish. But I went for a test drive anyway, and that was that. AA/HPI check, then day after my last exam I handed over the banker's draft, phoned the insurance company, and two days later used the car to move back to my parent's place.

Big Ian
23-08-2004, 07:22 PM
my galant is my first,but my uncle has had a few "classic's" in the 80's,he had a lancer GSX with twin 40's and 2 sapporo's (galant coupe?) and then a lancer turbo.

Lurch
23-08-2004, 07:44 PM
'97 vr-4 legnum thats it d:) first car was an MR-2 '86, then a Celica GT-R '91, then a Prelude '94.. and finally the legnum d:)

Best car so far? MR-2, well the most fun to drive anyway d:)

savagest-r
24-08-2004, 10:37 AM
my second car(STILL HOLDS A PLACE IN MY HEART) was a 1985 mighty mitsubishi TREDIA GSL 1800L lowered on 16's with a home made BOX EXHAUST that was as loud as ****......... i rallyd it up by putting two large yeollow fog lights on the top of the front bumper and put two hallogen spot lights on the underneath
Blinded everybody in sight i was always getting flashed by passing motorist thinking my lights were on high beam
inserted two sets of Air horns AND MANY OTHER XTRA'S

Xeroid
27-08-2004, 04:23 AM
First was a 92 VR4 bought by 'accident', didn't know what it was, it just looked good and drove nice. Nice shopping basket, yeah right !!
Learned a lot about Mitsi's then, developed a severe case of Rally Twitch which with Tommi Makinen being the man meant we chased Mitsi's and rally around.
Excellent car, very tractable and quick and yet docile around town regular driving. We hacked off a lot of Honda wannabes cos it was just a sleeper.

Then the 96 VR4, a mucj more savage animal, suspension designed to punch your spine up through your head at low speed but awesome at full throttle. Ripped off a big motorbike up hill around a big sweeper. Tyres were screaming as I powered in third on the road to Napier. Then home via Waikaremoana, 105 km of gravel and left hand bends sideways at 90 kph i full drift. Bit of a twitchy car and a bit sensitive to service requirements, spent quite a lot of time on the hoist straightening up engine cross members I had bent in potholes at speed. That got hit by the recall and while it sat in the garage we found.....

the 2000 VR4, NZ new with only 25,000 on the clock. Awesome condition and a slightly more tractable car, not quite so extreme as the 96 but with the small turbs which respond so well at launch. Ask the BMW I ripped the other night, not a happy chappie.

In the mean time to stop thrashing the VR4 I have also bought an 1988 Mitsi Cyborg, 1600 DOHC NA FWD for gravel fun. Awesome little machine considernig its age, goes like stink !! 16" momos, free flow noisy exhaust and lowered a bit all round. Done a bit of cold air work to it which has helped breathing and it's real fun to drive.

My Daily drive is a Subaru Legacy Grand Wagon ( Outback) which is ideal for towing, lugging things, going offroad spectating rally car events ( good ground clearance ).

Had previously: ( mostly company cars, 2 to 3 yrs each )

Toyota Camry 2.2
Ford Sierra 2.0 and 1600
Mazda 323
Toyota Corolla's ( about 3 or 4 )
Datsun ( Nissan) 120y
Morris 1800 landcrab, Mini, A40 Farina, Vauxhall Viva, Hillman Hunter
and lots more weirdo things.

Want any or either or all of:

Diamante VRX 2000 ( better shape and kw's than later model)
Diamante 4WD ( give it to Ralliart to tweak !! )
Ralliart Diamante ( love that EVO spoiler !! )
EVO 4WD Turbo RVR maybe .....
Starting to like the Airtrek, replace the Subie one day maybe, Forrester is crap !

Never had or will have:

Holden of any shape size or description.
Another Ford unless it's an RS Focus
Citroen, Renault or Peugeot ( bloody French ! )

Yeah, I'm an old(er) fart, driven a lot of cars but I know what I like and it's got a :3d: on the front !!!

h6tls
11-09-2004, 09:20 PM
1988 Starion turbo (wide body)