PDA

View Full Version : Red Zebra Warranty

ReggieK
27-10-2003, 05:19 PM
As you may or may not know, I am in the process of buying Il Dottore's VR4 and as it's warranty has just run out I have been looking in buying an add-on.

So far the best I have been quoted is £415-£468 for 1 year for the Red Zebra one.

That seems quite harsh to me. I get the impression that things don't generally go too wrong with these cars, but if they do then it can get quite expensive.

Do you guys n gals reckon the warranty is worth it at that price for a July 2000 registered car with 55k miles on it?

Nick VR4
27-10-2003, 05:24 PM
£415-£468 I think thats is wrong :eek:

I got a quote from my Mits garage for about £464 found out that I was quoted wrong
Got credited back the dosh
VR4's are now the same price as the Shogan's etc and should be around £260ish

ReggieK
27-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Give me the name of the garage Nick as I have rung three so far, two quoted £468 and one £415. I'd gladly pay circa £500 for two years but for one......

Nick VR4
27-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Have you tried talking to Red Zebra directly ?

My Garage is Adams tel # 01296 438300 ask for Cathy or Kevin

Roadrunner
27-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Cost should be around £275 for a year. That's what I paid to renew mine in April this year.

enigma
27-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Hmmmmm I could go for that! One problem I spoke to the dealer and not only did they want £480 for the warranty, they wanted £40 to check the car for existing problems, and moaned about some of the mods I have done........in fact all of them! :D

If I can get it for under £300 then I'll have it!

Nick VR4
27-10-2003, 08:52 PM
This is a major issue with Mits
The VR4 was classed on its own a few years ago for warranty
Now there warranty is the same for all 4wd cars shogan Pajero etc etc

Apart from cars with MAJOR Mods

:rolleyes:

zedy1
27-10-2003, 09:04 PM
they all wanna rob ya dont they?

Nick VR4
27-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Yes your right mate
The Dealership will coin in the diffrence from £270 to £400 +
For there Xmas party :beerclash

:arse:

ReggieK
27-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Nick VR4
Have you tried talking to Red Zebra directly ?

Good thinking, I'll try them direct tomorrow.

Brind
27-10-2003, 10:48 PM
I think when I inquired into keeping the warranty on mine after this year was up, it was around the £200+ mark which didn't seem to bad so I intend to keep it as long as the car is worth it.
Already saved my arse when the AYC pump packed up.. would have been £2,000+ to fix that... so really the warranty has already payed for itself for a few years!!

Only downside is their dislike to modifications.. I'd be surprised if Mitsy touch you Dave?

landy
27-10-2003, 11:21 PM
I'm going for the warranty very soon, as mine has just run out.

£270 for 12 months, or £499 for 2 years

Spirit
28-10-2003, 01:15 AM
It's really bad when our dealer network can't even agree on the price of a warranty ! Surely there is a price menu out there or something :Ponder: INSERT INTO post VALUES (pssst.....maybe someone should tell Mitsy UK some of their dealers are ripping the public off :Ponder: )

ReggieK
28-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by landy
I'm going for the warranty very soon, as mine has just run out.

£270 for 12 months, or £499 for 2 years

Was this direct with Red Zebra or through your local dealer?

ReggieK
28-10-2003, 10:19 AM
Right, I have just rung Red Zebra/Mitsubishi Warranty Services and was quoted £468. This seems to be the standard quote. Plus on top of that I would need to pay for an inspection.

How some of you have managed to get quotes for £200-300 I'll never know. I guess your cars are under three years of age or still in a warranty.

Buggers

Nick VR4
28-10-2003, 11:39 AM
My warranty was getting near to expire
Spoke to my Mits garage and they quotes me about £460
Paid for it about a month later
Was reading posts in here and found out most peeps were paying about £260
Phoned up Dealership and told them
Oh we'll get back to you they said
An hour later got the phone call
Oh we are very sorry we have charged you too much
We will credit back the difference

So maybe as your warranty had expired it costs more :Ponder:

ReggieK
28-10-2003, 02:33 PM
This just gets better and better....

I have just rung Nick VR4's people - Adams in Aylesbury. They quoted me £415. OK so far same as everyone else. Then remembering what Nick had said about it no longer being a special category vehicle I brought it up, and hey presto price drops to £269.

Before I get too excited about this I'm gonna ring around a few others. I'll let you know how I get on.

Roadrunner
28-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Hey, quit while you're ahead ;) :D

Nick VR4
28-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Good move Reggie :)

Maybe phone up Red Zebra and ask them again and say the same thing

SGHOM
28-10-2003, 08:25 PM
take a look at the price list

SGHOM
28-10-2003, 08:30 PM
sorry its not the best of pics, but the 3rd category down say's ' mitsubishi vehicles under 10 years old and under 100,000 miles with no existing mitsubishi warranty' 12 months red zebra warranty £315.

ReggieK
29-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks "interlec" so noted,

....but it also says if it is a Special Category Vehicle then it is £468. I think the question here is, is it still a SCV? I have got my local garage giving Red Zebra a call themselves to find out.

When I spoke to a different garage and mentioned that may no longer be a SCV you could hear the guy's jaw drop in amazement, he then said "Sir. It's got a twin turbo V6 engine with AYC, of course it's still comes in as a SCV"

Bugger me - right in the middle of this post I have just had a phone call from the local area manager of the Red Zebra warranty group. He has categorically told me that the VR4 is still a Special Category Vehicle. And as mine is over three years of age the cost is £468 - Oh sod it.

I did mention that some garages seem to do it for less and he warned me that yes I can take them up on that and yes the warranty will go through....but when you go to make a claim it will be thrown out. BE WARNED GUYS N GALS.

peterernest
29-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Are these prices for extensions to a manufacturers warranty or can you just buy a warranty?

Does it cover all that a warranty on a new car INSERT INTO post VALUES (for instance) could cover?

SGHOM
29-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Mitsy need to get their act together & clarify the SCV malarky !! in the warranty litrature the VR4 is NOT listed as a SCV. only super cars such as , aston martin, lambourghini ,ferrari , & kit cars, & comercial vehicles over 3.5 tonnes etc. the VR4 is good.............. but it aint no supercar !!

Nick VR4
29-10-2003, 08:24 PM
No $hit Sherlock ;) jk

Well I'm guessing
But unless you have a valid warranty from Mits or Ralliart
That is due for renewal soon and you have it up to date

The ££££ goes up to make sure your not taking them for a ride :rolleyes:

Spirit
30-10-2003, 08:11 AM
I agree with Derek that it is not particularly professional if a company cannot even get a standard price for something across the board :Ponder:

Reggie's bit about the warranty being accepted as a non-SCV until you make a claim is an absolute joke aswell - how can the t*ats take your money upfront knowing it's wrong - surely they should spot it's a VR4 and contact the customer to advise they need to pay more or refund the money back :Ponder:

Brunty
13-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Ripon Mitsubishi quoted me, on my soon to be collected, 51k, 1999 VR4:

£99 for a pre-warranty inspection.

£780 for a years warranty.

I'll phone a few other dealers listed in here and see what they come up with - if I can get it for £300 or less I'll take it over the RAC warranty the dealer is offering me.

Steve

Nick VR4
13-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Ripon Mitsubishi quoted me, on my soon to be collected, 51k, 1999 VR4:

£99 for a pre-warranty inspection.

£780 for a years warranty.

I'll phone a few other dealers listed in here and see what they come up with - if I can get it for £300 or less I'll take it over the RAC warranty the dealer is offering me.

Steve

£780 that is taking the **** :lipsrseal

simpsonm
13-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Have you tried alternate warranty companies. Motorway direct or Warranty Holdings?

Brunty
15-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Yes your right mate
The Dealership will coin in the diffrence from £270 to £400 +
For there Xmas party
and/or....

Already saved my arse when the AYC pump packed up.. would have been £2,000+ to fix that... so really the warranty has already payed for itself for a few years!!
...might explain the expensive quote.

I did laugh out loud when the Mitsu dealer gave me the quote after he spent 2 minutes explaining how reliable the VR4 was :laugh: :rolleyes5 :laugh:

I'll call around for alternative warranties and post my results. In the meantime has anyone got any comments on the RAC warranty.

Cheers

Steve

Polabear
15-11-2004, 12:11 PM
And don't even get me started on modded VR4's, warranty companies will drop the godamn phone so quick its like you had rabies..... :sad3:

Polabear
17-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Ok, my red zebra re-newall landed on my doorstep this morning, and when I opened it I was informed that i could renew it for the princely sum of ..........£468 for 12 months, now not only is it late in its arrival (expired on the 11th) and their letter to me was dated 15th so they have let it expire, but this is for my V6-24 estate not my legnum.

I called red zebra themselves to enquire why so much for a bog std wagon and was informed 'you do realise that this is a special category vehicle sir' :wtf: :screwu: when I asked why this was i was informed that this vehicle has been recently re classified due to the..and get this...cost of parts and repair of the vehicle when it goes t!ts up, this time last year this car was classed as a std estate car....I even quoted some of the prices for the warranty from our posts and was told that there was no way those prices could be correct :rolleyes5 so i asked her about the VR4, yes that is also a special category vehicle sir, when i told her about the posts on this thread i was politely told that she did not know where the information came from but it was incorrect........ :headsc:

I said ok i will look into this further...... so I called mitsy motors customer service in cirencester and asked them about it, the gentleman I spoke to had no knowledge of this whatsoever and even aggreed that if any of the two cars should be classed as special vehicle cat it was the Legnum (he actually knew what a VR4 was too) he asked if i had contacted my local dealer about it and was told that they didn't have a clue, so he said he would contact one of their engineers and try to find out if it has been re classified and if so why, also why some dealer's should be told that the vr4 has been de classified while red zebra are saying that it has not...i await the outcome with bated breath......methinks mitsy is trying to recoup money spent on safety recalls by, as usuall shifting the goalposts...:rolleyes:

Polabear
19-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Just had a call from Oliver at mitsy customer services regarding the question of why a std v6-24 estate has now been reclassified to the Special Vehicle category, he has told me that he spoke to Mitsy homologation department and asked the same question, their reply was rubbish, why would a std vehicle be put into this category, also the VR-4 is no longer in the special vehiclecategory, he asked me where this info came from so I told him again that it came from Mitsy red zebra warranty department, he has now gone back to Red Zebra to find out where this info came from, for what it is worth I shall keep this posted..... :rolleyes5

Brunty
19-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I can't believe that one company can have so many different prices and understandings of one product?

Customer: I'd like a Red Zebra warranty for my VR4
Mitsubishi: Certainly Sir, that will be anything from £270 to £780!

:sad3:

Trow
24-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Do you guys know if the red zebra warranty is international - can I get it in Nz, Although from reading this post I dunno if I want it!!

Polabear
24-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Just had a call from Oliver at mitsy customer services regarding the question of why a std v6-24 estate has now been reclassified to the Special Vehicle category, he has told me that he spoke to Mitsy homologation department and asked the same question, their reply was rubbish, why would a std vehicle be put into this category, also the VR-4 is no longer in the special vehiclecategory, he asked me where this info came from so I told him again that it came from Mitsy red zebra warranty department, he has now gone back to Red Zebra to find out where this info came from, for what it is worth I shall keep this posted..... :rolleyes5

Ok, the final word from mitsy, the reason for the lowly v6-24 being reclassified in the special vehicle category is indeed repair driven, in their words it is because of the "High Burn factor" ie the amount of money they lose on a warranty claim, surely thay must have some kind of insurance / recovery from mitsy themselves to allow for this "High Burn Factor" oh and BTW the VR4 is also in this category again, regardless of what some of the other members have been told from other dealers, so endeth the lesson according to mitsy..... :sad3: