PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase another Galant V6 Sport but

MGV6
18-07-2006, 02:18 PM
not 100% sure coz this seller says mileage is 52,000 and its a 2000 (W) reg Galant.

It has full service hisotry but last one doesnt have rubber stamp on book coz seller says he is a mechanic and he did it himself and the rest of the service is done via Mitsubishi and some by garage.

does 52k milegeon a 2000 car sound suspicious? surely its too low?? btw: it has a total of 4 registered owners to date.

White Lightning
18-07-2006, 02:33 PM
That mileage sounds ok. Average mileage is 10-12,000 miles per annum. Therefore, for a car built in 2000 the average mileage would be 60,000 to 72,000 miles. It sounds like this one is just a bit below average which is a good thing!

A lot of people service their own cars - it doesn't mean it's been clocked.

HTH

MGV6
18-07-2006, 02:45 PM
That mileage sounds ok. Average mileage is 10-12,000 miles per annum. Therefore, for a car built in 2000 the average mileage would be 60,000 to 72,000 miles. It sounds like this one is just a bit below average which is a good thing!

A lot of people service their own cars - it doesn't mean it's been clocked.

HTH

ok sure. but if someone services their car by themselves do they just rubber stamp the service book themselves? if so, couldn't this mean anyone can do it regardless of whether they do service the car properly or not?

White Lightning
18-07-2006, 03:22 PM
ok sure. but if someone services their car by themselves do they just rubber stamp the service book themselves? if so, couldn't this mean anyone can do it regardless of whether they do service the car properly or not?

They could but that would not be a very honest thing to do. I have typically always serviced cars myself and I normally just keep a log of what jobs were done when (mileage and date).

MGV6
18-07-2006, 04:52 PM
They could but that would not be a very honest thing to do. I have typically always serviced cars myself and I normally just keep a log of what jobs were done when (mileage and date).

ok sure. btw: is servicing Galan'ts relatively simple to do? I mean servicing from Mitsubishi has always been expensive but would you say its simlpe to do? would you need the galant service book to do it?

Wodjno
18-07-2006, 05:09 PM
If your a full member of ClubVR4 then it should be a doddle:2thumbsup

Reason being is that all normal servicing has been documented on the site by members.. :scholar:

Nick Mann
18-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Don't forget that the 54k service is the biggy with belts and plugs. Make sure that has been done.
If you are worried about his servicing then build the cost of a service in. Worst case scenario is about £600 for a full 54k service.

Paul Beazer
18-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Best way to get an idea if the mileage is genuine is to look at the previous MOT certificates and any servicing receipts.
BTW, just how easy is it to clock a galant? Im guessing that just because the odometer is digital its just as easy?