PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust recommendations please

White Lightning
19-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some recommendations for stainless exhausts. I called HKS today and the Super Drager is indeed discontinued. Blitz list a system on their website but it's £639 and currently out of stock. Can anyone recommended a good place that'll do custom builds to spec but use mandrel bends rather than cutting and joining pieces?

BTW - what is the bore size for the standard system - is it 2" ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Wayne

Spirit
19-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Whats up with the current one then ?

I would have a look around for a custom made one if you really need to replace it. People such as Derek (SGHOM), Andy (The Vee) and Paul (Caishanvr4) all have custom made ones, I'm sure they will recommend their suppliers. £350 seems an average price for a cat back.

White Lightning
19-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Well it blew on the test drive. It has been patched up for now but it may not last long. And it gives me a good excuse to get something better :pimp2: - so just doing my homework to start with.

It seems a lot of these custom places make a system by joining lots of short straight pieces together or just bending the pipe without doing a proper mandrel bend - both of which are not good for exhaust gas flow.

Oh - and need to find out what difference it'll make to the insurance /pan

Spirit
19-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Has it just got a hole in it ? Should be no reason you can't get it patched properly ?

Also, you could speak to Zedy1 (Mo) to see if he has any used standard ones around if you don't want the outlay to start with.

White Lightning
19-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Not sure exactly what's wrong probably just a hole though.

btw - just got a reply to my query from Blitz and for anyone that's interested the delivery timescale is 6-8 weeks from the date the order is received.

SGHOM
19-07-2006, 03:22 PM
www.exhaustsuk.com

It's just around the corner from you !! :thinking: :inquisiti :inquisiti

cat back......... anything you want... single... twin... loud... quiet...side exit !! :afro:

£450, with lifetime guarantee :2thumbsup

Spirit
19-07-2006, 03:26 PM
May be worth getting a price for a Blitz from these guys too: http://www.takakaira.com/

White Lightning
19-07-2006, 03:32 PM
www.exhaustsuk.com

It's just around the corner from you !! :thinking: :inquisiti :inquisiti

cat back......... anything you want... single... twin... loud... quiet...side exit !! :afro:

£450, with lifetime guarantee :2thumbsup

Thanks Derek - but... Sheffield :thinking:

It would be a lot more expensive once I add petrol ...

White Lightning
19-07-2006, 03:36 PM
May be worth getting a price for a Blitz from these guys too: http://www.takakaira.com/

EC5W - that's a Legnum right?

I guess the system for a Legnum would be a different shape to the saloon?

White Lightning
19-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Actually the Blitz one is no good as it's a 3" bore. Which I guess would be a bad idea unless I was fitting bigger blowers :inquisiti

I assume the standard system is a 2" bore so most people are going for a 2.5" as an upgrade?

Axeboy
19-07-2006, 04:19 PM
3" would be fine as far as im aware.

The blitz is a nice exhaust.. ive had one in my last vr4. Takaaira should supply them for about £500.

Nick Mann
19-07-2006, 04:31 PM
EC5W - that's a Legnum right?

I guess the system for a Legnum would be a different shape to the saloon?

The legnum/saloon have the same pipe, but I have recently seen evidence that the back box may sit at a very slightly different angle between the two cars. The length is the same, the route travelled the same, but the cut outs seem to be slightly different in location. On the legnum I saw with a saloon system on it, the tail pipe was offset from the cut out.

Also bear in mind that in-line silencers are needed to try and avoid the 2500rpm drone.

White Lightning
19-07-2006, 04:35 PM
3" would be fine as far as im aware.

The blitz is a nice exhaust.. ive had one in my last vr4. Takaaira should supply them for about £500.

Thanks.

What did it sound like? Was it loud?

Spirit
19-07-2006, 05:00 PM
On the legnum I saw with a saloon system on it, the tail pipe was offset from the cut out.

Weird ! The Super Drager was only ever listed for the EC-5W, and it's a perfect fit

White Lightning
19-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Just had this response from Racelogic - who are the main supplier for Blitz in the UK:

"Hi

After checking with Blitz they have told me that this part for your car has been discontinued and have not replaced it with anything."

So that's that one out too then...

Axeboy
19-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Takakaira can supply them im sure.

As for the Blitz, it was quiet overall, but sounded great under throttle.

stuartturbo
19-07-2006, 07:18 PM
check blitz is stainless as well.
I seem to remember that both the HKS and Blitz is not stainless steel system only rear box
So prehaps not such a good price £600 cat back for a system that may last 3 yrs??

n13l pm
29-07-2006, 12:39 AM
What about powerflow?

I got a quote from Top Gear in St Albans for custom made powerflow exhaust from cat back to 4.5" exits on Both sides (thats two back boxes) £400 all in. With a long guarantee cant remember 100% if it was lifetime they quoted but im 99% sure it was.

You can chose from loads of different exits and different types of and sizes of back boxes for different types of sounds. They got garages all around the UK and prices change at each branch. I guess it might be cheaper for going out of london but not by much.

http://www.topgear.co.uk/

K9NG
29-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Personally I would stay away from Powerflow :uhoh2: I have had experience of their work and it was Rubbish.. /pan

I know of 2 decent custom exhaust fabricators not too far from yourself

www.haywardandscott.co.uk/

Also

www.simpsonraceexhausts.com/

I prefer to use Simpson as they're systems are better
(more expensive) but much better quality and fairly lightweight.

Spirit
29-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Agree with Paul, I would avoid Powerflow. They made me some turbo pipes last year and the quality was crap, pipes did not line up and even left shards of metal inside the pipes !!!! They were taken off and not paid for.......and got the work done by Longlife instead

http://www.longlife-exhausts.co.uk/

They have a branch in Basingstoke too !

White Lightning
29-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Personally I would stay away from Powerflow :uhoh2: I have had experience of their work and it was Rubbish.. /pan

I know of 2 decent custom exhaust fabricators not too far from yourself

www.haywardandscott.co.uk/

Also

www.simpsonraceexhausts.com/

I prefer to use Simpson as they're systems are better
(more expensive) but much better quality and fairly lightweight.

Cheers Paul - I'll keep them in mind :2thumbsup

I did actually get an email quote back from Longlife. I think it was £349 all in but that only came with a standard 2" tailpipe. You could have any of 50 odd other styles fitted but they cost extra.

Nick VR4
29-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I got quoted approx £350 for a Stainless Steel 2" from the cat back and can pick any tail pipe I wanted and guaranteed for life

Place near Blackpool guess thats a bit of a trip for you

Not sure about mandrel bends rather than cutting and joining pieces

caishanvr4
29-07-2006, 11:16 PM
£285.00 will get you a cat back tig welded exhaust and a underseal from autofixed in cheshire.

Read Here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17186)