PDA

View Full Version : Tank venting

The Vee
19-07-2006, 09:05 PM
During this hot weather, have noticed strong smell of petrol vapour from the "can't remember its name"/pan but its the black can that filters the fumes from the tank. Tends to be worse on over run and heavier throttle. Whilst this is normal to vent in this heat, mine seems a little excessive. Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this or maybe my cannister is knacked.

Nick VR4
19-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Sounds normal TBO I use to work at a Tanker Depot the one that went up in flames down south and Petrol will expand with heat and give off more fumes

Funkstar
19-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey Mr Vee, does your's smell like nail polish remover?

The reason I ask is that when the cars been standing in the sun in works car park all day, as soon as I get in there's a strong smell like nail polish. /pan

Have searched and emptied the whole car thinking that the gf has left a bottle slightly open in there, but can't see anything.

Seems ok in the morning when it's not so warm. :rolleyes4

kato
19-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Ive also noticed a stronger smell recently so lets hope its nothing but normal!

The Vee
19-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Almost that sort of smell, but on mine it's defo the venting from the tank. If you open the bonnet, as you face the engine look to your right on the bulkhead. You'll see a round black cannister with a feed from the tank (not fuel) but a Small rubber hose connecting it to the metal pipe which runs along the bulkhead originating from the tank. The other rubber hose goes to the manifold. There is then another port which is open to atmosphere at the bottom on a VR and at the top on N/A. If you sniff this area, you'll soon know if it's the venting!!

Paul Beazer
20-07-2006, 01:37 PM
What purpose does the tank actually serve?