PDA

View Full Version : I desperately need this part plz........

MGV6
20-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Aircon Belt for my Galant V6 Sport. Its too noisy and even using some spray only just temporary stops the sound.

btw: are they difficut to replace or does it have to be done by garage/dealer?

Paul Beazer
20-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Most parts suppliers have them in stock, or they can order them. I got mine from partco or JMC for about £10ish.
Not a difficult job, hardest part is undoing the 14" nut in the middle of the tensioners. There isnt much room between the wheelarch and the side of the engine, approx 1" so you need a fairly shallow ratchet and socket. Other than that, P.O.P.

You might as well replace both belts at the same time, it not much more work TBH.

#1 Remove o/s inner wheelarch divider
#2 Undo tensioner locking nuts
#3 Slacken off the tensioner bolts so the belt loosens enough to take it off
#4 Replace belts.
Make sure there isnt more than 6mm deflection on the longest part of the belt when tensioned up (or less than a 1/4 rotation on the belt)
Refitting is the reverse of removal.
Allow an hour or so to do the work.

glover
20-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Have a look here.

camskill (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1398p0)

colVR4
20-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Are you sure that you don't need to just adjust the tensioner? Is it noise caused by the belt slipping?

Paul Beazer
21-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Mine was noisy even after tightening, they just get worn and less flexible over time. Replacement cured the noise.

MGV6
21-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Most parts suppliers have them in stock, or they can order them. I got mine from partco or JMC for about £10ish.
Not a difficult job, hardest part is undoing the 14" nut in the middle of the tensioners. There isnt much room between the wheelarch and the side of the engine, approx 1" so you need a fairly shallow ratchet and socket. Other than that, P.O.P.

You might as well replace both belts at the same time, it not much more work TBH.

#1 Remove o/s inner wheelarch divider
#2 Undo tensioner locking nuts
#3 Slacken off the tensioner bolts so the belt loosens enough to take it off
#4 Replace belts.
Make sure there isnt more than 6mm deflection on the longest part of the belt when tensioned up (or less than a 1/4 rotation on the belt)
Refitting is the reverse of removal.
Allow an hour or so to do the work.

Thanks Paul for this advice, much appreciated. I will try it this weekend. btw: I contact Mitsubishi dealer in my area just to get an idea of the cost and this is what they said:

£38.50 for the Air-con belt
£39 for labour (for 30 mins job)

so £77.50 to do the job. what a rip - off!

MGV6
21-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Are you sure that you don't need to just adjust the tensioner? Is it noise caused by the belt slipping?

The guy did adjust it but it still kept making the noise. Using a spray only just temporily stops the noise. It must be slippery or worn out. btw: milege on car is about 59k.

MGV6
21-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Have a look here.

camskill (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1398p0)

a good site but it doesnt have it. They have mainly legnum and VR4 parts there.

colVR4
21-07-2006, 08:52 PM
£39 for 30 minutes.... Jeeesus!!

Do you get free use of the Sauna and Jacuzzi at the local 5-star hotel as well?

I thought that my local Mitsi garage was expensive at £68 per hr + VAT!!!

glover
21-07-2006, 10:32 PM
a good site but it doesnt have it. They have mainly legnum and VR4 parts there.

Aircon belt is the same on the v6 as the vr4. I got my belts from them when I changed the ones on my v6.

MGV6
22-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Do you get free use of the Sauna and Jacuzzi at the local 5-star hotel as well?

Unfortunately not :)