PDA

View Full Version : gearbox oil Q?

ritch_w
20-07-2006, 10:51 PM
just flushed and replaced the gearbox oil with amsoil (using Kierans guide :2thumbsup ). with the engine warmed up, in "N" checking the dipstick shows the level at the lowest cold level.

engine off and recheck level its just above cold into the hot level.

do i need more ATF? and if so, can i use dexronIII from the local auto factors :inquisiti as i have used up my 10 litres of amsoil?

ritch_w
21-07-2006, 09:44 AM
anyone??? help!!!

I need to use the car today, so quite anxious to know if my levels are ok or if i need to top it up / and if I can use normal dexron III atf to top it up?????

Kieran
21-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Check it again - ignore the 'Cold' reading, even the service manual says not to rely on that.

If it is too low then a splash of DIII is better than nothing. If it were me I would probably top up with DIII if nothing else was about.

ritch_w
21-07-2006, 10:01 AM
thanks K!!

richy rich
21-07-2006, 10:14 AM
sorry i disagree k, id use the car as you have enough atf and get 2 more litres of amsoil.

Wodjno
21-07-2006, 11:05 AM
sorry i disagree k, id use the car as you have enough atf and get 2 more litres of amsoil.

I agree with you Richy.. Putting in D3 is just going to Destroy the capabilities.. get some more Amsoil :happy:

ritch_w
21-07-2006, 08:45 PM
too late, topped up with about 3/4 litre of dexronIII this morning...... :(

Kieran
21-07-2006, 11:02 PM
too late, topped up with about 3/4 litre of dexronIII this morning...... :(

I doubt it will have a significant negative impact - Don will know for sure, but seeing as you've used 10 litres of Amsoil in there, I imagine the dilution ratio will be fairly low.

Paul C
21-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Does the engine need to be running when you check the fluid level?

Kieran
21-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Does the engine need to be running when you check the fluid level?

Yes, and fully warmed up.

Paul C
21-07-2006, 11:34 PM
So if it is checked not running then this isn't a true reading. I checked mine warmed up but engine not running, bar steward. I'm on 6-2 tomorrow will have to check it before i go to work.Luckily i have amsoil left over.

amsoil
22-07-2006, 12:19 AM
In view of people not wanting to buy more ATF than is necessary what I am prepared to do from now on is buy back the unused quarts that anyone may purchase just to make sure they have enough. Cap seals must be intact chaps. Seems a bit crazy to me to get 10 litres of synthetic ATF and find you are short of 1/2 litre or so and then use Dextron 2/3. Still needs must I guess.
This is for VR4 Full Club Members only! So get 2 x 5L and 2 x quarts and send me back what isn't opened. Doesnt help here but maybe will help others in the future.

Cant really do more than this ? or can I ? :inquisiti

Kieran
22-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Can't say fairer than that Don!! Thankyou!:2thumbsup

ritch_w
22-07-2006, 11:12 AM
This is for VR4 Full Club Members only! So get 2 x 5L and 2 x quarts and send me back what isn't opened. Doesnt help here but maybe will help others in the future.

Can really do more than this ? or can I ? :inquisiti

i think i'll be doing that next time too :)

I-S
22-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Now THAT is customer service. Good man Don!

amsoil
22-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Thank you for the comments.
I would like to think its also good business and will prevent what has happened above; Maybe I will sell a few more quarts and maybe some people will be happier to send a quart or two back than I am to wrap up and send 1 quart knowing that the carriage is getting on for doubling the price. Just hope the idea catches on and suits everyone concerned :2thumbsup

ritch_w
22-07-2006, 09:59 PM

i'd just like to add that dealing with Don and his company has been so refreshingly simple! place order on the website, pay by paypal, get goods delivered and loads off good advice from Don on this website.

Customer service has been excellent and there are a fair few companies out there that could learn from Don on customer service and product knowledge and advice

big :2thumbsup to Don - top bloke!