PDA

View Full Version : Rear tyre wear on fwd Galant

g6acb
24-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Has any one with a fwd Galant had a problem with rear tyre wear on their car - when I bought it I put 4 corners on (falken zeix 512) they are ok tyres for cheapies but seem to wear quite quickly and are pap in the snow.

16k in and the rears are gone - down to 1.6mm markers right across the tyre on both sides.... the fronts have twice as much tread left

On my previous galant the rears always gave up the ghost first as well but the fronts were very close behind but they were always rotated 1/2 way through their life

Arranged some more tyres today together with MOT for later in the week - thought I would give Dunlop SP9000 a try this time

Anyone else with the same situation or is it time for a full allignment / corner weighting

Still toying with the idea of new wheels as there are only 2 round wheels out of 4 - but I dont think this is part of the problem as the 2 pringled ones are on the same side of the car and still balance out perfectly with a shed load of lead

Kieran
24-07-2006, 11:59 PM
An alignment will help a bit. Didn't really notice on my V6, but my old GLS rubbed it's rear tyres out surprisingly quickly too. I think it may be partially caused by the passive back wheel steer on these cars, which allows the rears to toe in&out a bit when cornering?

I-S
25-07-2006, 08:36 AM
I thought that the rws was removed from the 8g?

On my GLS the fronts wear more quickly. Was about 24k to wear out the fronts, and then moved the old rears to the front and put another 4-5k on them. I replaced the original fronts at about 2mm, and the ex-rears at about 2.5mm.

Kieran
25-07-2006, 09:09 AM
I thought that the rws was removed from the 8g?

Yeah, you're right insofar as there was ever any 'active' steering - no 8Gs had a separate rack at the back like some 6G and 7Gs. Passive steering is basically where the rear bushes compress under cornering forces - which 'tugs' on one or more steering arms and induces geometry changes to make the car handle better during cornering.