PDA

View Full Version : Extending the life of the tiptronic

KiwiTT
29-10-2003, 09:12 PM
When I saw the post of tranmission cooler, because of Auckland traffic. i.e. stop/start, etc. should I reconsider the way I drive.

I was considering controlling the gear it is in, as opposed to letting the box decide. This means I can hold it in 2nd or 3rd or up to 4th when appropriate. I noticed when I did this, when I stopped INSERT INTO post VALUES (stop/start); it dropped to 1st again, and I needed to change up again.

The car felt more comfortable and smoother, when I did this, i.e. less jerkiness, and I was in control. Will this method have any impact on the life of the auto, as I feel the jerkiness is not good for the car.

Nick VR4
29-10-2003, 10:22 PM
I have played around with Tiptronic and worked out
It will only let you do what is safe its called INSERT INTO post VALUES (fussy logic) or something like that :D
If in heavy traffic like sitting and not moving for say 5-10 minuets put in N
Less heat/pressure on the autobox

If moving work out what the best rev's are for the car
I tend to leave in Auto at junctions , roundabouts and then use the tiptronic to change down to get more Omph after bends etc

You dont want to be sitting at juctions pulling away in 1st gear revving at 6000 revs in tiptronic

Plus your Auto mode will learn how you drive and do the same :D

KiwiTT
29-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Thanks. I will let the tiptronic learn my driving then. If stopped for a long time, I will place it in "N".

Spirit
30-10-2003, 08:25 AM
I always us auto around town and have learnt to put it into N whenever I come to a stop at traffic lights etc. I also re-set the ECU regularly when I want to have a bit of fun so that all that town driving learning has been wiped :D

-LegnumVR4-
30-10-2003, 08:39 AM
I drive mine just like a manual. Use the gears for engine braking just like a manual, u soon get to learn how the auto box will react and slow u down. I'll changed down from 4 to second getting ready to pulll away from the corner, easy stuff. I've never come across the problem of the auto getting sluggish. I have an ATF cooler installed for the fact that i have lifted the BHP.

KiwiTT
30-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by -LegnumVR4-
... I have an ATF cooler installed for the fact that i have lifted the BHP.

Does this mean, If I don't upgrade the engine just, I won't need a ATF cooler.

In a few years time, I may do the following in this order.

1) Brakes to EVO type INSERT INTO post VALUES (as seen on other posts)
2) Transmission cooler added for longevity
3) Boost increased

No body alterations in that time except for the Crystal-like rear light cluster. Modernises the car quite nicely.

-LegnumVR4-
31-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Your car should be fine unless your a complete nutter in your car and redline it everywhere u go:D

I new i would upping the BHP so i fitted and ATF cooler before any of the biggest BHP gains happen INSERT INTO post VALUES (more boost). It just protects the gear box from extreme constant heat that builds up when there is more pressure on the auto box.

Freddy
04-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Three years ago my auto gearbox in my GTO died from heat exhaustion due to driving through town on a very hot day INSERT INTO post VALUES (Auckland). After the rebuild I fitted a larger cooler. I noticed two things.
INSERT INTO post VALUES (1) slight increase in power :D and INSERT INTO post VALUES (2) took longer to warm up, causing some odd behaviour between shifts for a few minutes :rolleyes:.nothing to bad though.
The other week my tiptronic had that same sluggish feeling going on :eek: as I drove through town again INSERT INTO post VALUES (traffic jams /hot day) and I could smell the hot oil. I am going to fit a larger cooler in a few weeks INSERT INTO post VALUES (about the same as VR4 runs). I'm going to do all I can to prolong the life of my tiptronic.

-LegnumVR4-
04-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Good move, it's the first thing i did before any big mods that would cause heat build up.

As for driving in manual mode, i lift my foot off the go pedal about 10mm to back off the throttle and then shift up to the next gear. Smooths out the shift. I do this when cruzing but in race mode it just foot to the floor.

vr4ever
20-03-2004, 08:00 PM
This is what I have to say to fellow members here on how to prolong your autoboxes !
First, for VR4 owners..change the ATF fluid every 10000 miles max and no longer ! :rolleyes5
If possible..change it earlier...trust me it will save u lots of $$$ in the long run !
Next..NEVER put your trans to N whenever u come to a stop like traffic lights etc..even if the wait is long like 5 to 10 minutes...as this will kill your torque converter if u go from D to N and N to D !!! :sad3:
Trust me...I have very good advice from the autobox manufacturers and refurbishment firms who told me that leaving the autobox at D all the time at stops instead of D to N and N to D will double the life of your trans easily !!!
I've seen motorists with expensive Mercedes, Mits and other marques frying their auto box and needed expensive overhauls or replacements due to the fact that they sc***ed their torque converters up becoz of moving D to N whenever they come to a stop !

Freddy
22-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Thought I might add this as well. When I first got my Legnum it had done 87.000km and the shift between first and second was hesitant, like the box (tiptronic) really had to think about it for 2-3 seconds. Got it serviced right away which entailed fluid and filter change. It was like a new transmission :laugh:
Now 20.000km on its starting to become hesitant again :sad3:
I will now get the gearbox serviced every 10.000km like you suggest.
Does the fluid go off and thin out or is there some sort of build up of crap in there? whats going on?

vr4ever
22-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Thought I might add this as well. When I first got my Legnum it had done 87.000km and the shift between first and second was hesitant, like the box (tiptronic) really had to think about it for 2-3 seconds. Got it serviced right away which entailed fluid and filter change. It was like a new transmission :laugh:
Now 20.000km on its starting to become hesitant again :sad3:
I will now get the gearbox serviced every 10.000km like you suggest.
Does the fluid go off and thin out or is there some sort of build up of crap in there? whats going on?

Make sure your mechanic drains out every bit of your ATF fluid before putting in fresh ones...also remember to change the ATF oil filter when changing ATF oil as well...this will help prolong your gearbox to avoid expensive overhauls /replacements in future...if possible..also fit an ATF cooler if u are located at a hot climate like mine...small details like this goes a long way for your gearbox !

autosands
17-05-2004, 10:03 PM
nuetral on an automatic generally means no cooler flow so no cooling effect . try an auxillary cooler and a synthetic oil addative american lube gaurd works wonders. from somebody who has fitted alot of the stuff. autosands

-LegnumVR4-
18-05-2004, 10:22 AM
After market ATF cooler :thumbsup:

The gear box is a bit picky about what fluid it uses, SPF3 the best from Mitsubishi, tried and tested.

I'll be getting my trans flushed later with new oil and and some other thing they add to the oil.

Rhys

V6 TOX
17-03-2013, 03:38 PM
hi there i was looking at this post and can i ask how do u reset the ecu to wipe out the memory. cheers.tom

I always us auto around town and have learnt to put it into N whenever I come to a stop at traffic lights etc. I also re-set the ECU regularly when I want to have a bit of fun so that all that town driving learning has been wiped :D

Z-Kev
17-03-2013, 04:37 PM
This post says to always drive in tiptronic mode to extend the life of your torque converter

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?20014-Taking-care-of-your-Tiptronic-gearbox

blodeaxe
28-03-2013, 12:59 PM

I will leave this here....my huge tranny oil cooler