PDA

View Full Version : $58 Car Registration Scam

KiwiTT
28-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Dead chickens save drivers on car registration
1.00pm Friday July 28, 2006

A dead supermarket chicken could save you up to $200 on your car registration.
A Christchurch woman has revealed a loophole in car registration rules.
It would normally cost her more than $260 to register her diesel vehicle.
But if a driver goes to the Post Shop and asks them to change the vehicle's registration to a code 06, which is for a non-commercial hearse, then the cost drops dramatically - to just $58.
Her friends told her the scam had been going on for years, so she went to a Post Shop to try it.
She told the man behind the counter her car was a non-commercial hearse because she carried dead chickens home from the supermarket.
He said that was fine, stamped her $58 registration - and she says he told her there are many of non-commercial hearses driving around the affluent Christchurch suburb of Merivale.
Land Transport New Zealand is not amused. It says people who are classing their cars as non-commercial hearses to save on their registration are breaking the law.
Spokesman Andy Knackstead, says people are effectively ripping off ACC, accident victims, and the rest of the population who are paying the correct levies.
He said it was not something to be particularly proud of.
Mr Knackstead said if they discover it is a widespread scam they may consider bringing in the police.

A way to save money !!!

OSiRiS
28-07-2006, 04:40 AM
Hmmm. Legnums could get away as being classed as hearses... ;)

You See
28-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Darnit Richard...ya beat me to it!...read it this morning at work, and only just managed to come on here to post it..../Grrr

Lucas
28-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Man that is so tempting....

Words out now though so it probably wont last long /Grrr

bradc
28-07-2006, 08:13 AM
so if I carry that car fur rug in the back of the leggy..... sorry I had to say that, I love cats, have 2, etc etc don't beat me up!

I can't see why the hell we have to pay so much for acc and **** anyway, we damned well pay petrol tax, income tax, tax on tax (gst) etc. I'm going to try it when my registration runs out.

OSiRiS
28-07-2006, 09:02 AM
It's so public now, anyone who goes to the AA or Postoffice to change their rego class is just going to be laughed at by the person behind the counter...

KiwiTT
30-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Darnit Richard...ya beat me to it!...If you snooze ... you lose :scholar:. in this case a saving of $200 for the rest of us too!/Grrr

Xeroid
31-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Does it count if you carry loads of dead bugs on your radiator ...? :speechles

marmel31
31-07-2006, 07:28 AM
I saw on the news somewhere the LTSA are going to review all those that have done this and are going to call in the police for anyone who has attempted to defraud them, apparently the definition of a hearse is something that is used for the carriage of a coffin, not a dead chicken:evilgrin:

Lucas
01-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Just build a wee coffin to keep the dead chicken safe on its way home with you. Lets see them argue that one! :evilgrin:

bradc
01-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Just get a KFC box, and throw a whole chicken in that

maori_by_nature
01-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Just get a KFC box, and throw a whole chicken in that

/haz

You See
01-08-2006, 10:13 AM
mmmm...all this talk about chicken is making me hungry!...and we all know what happens when I get hungry! /Hissy

maori_by_nature
01-08-2006, 10:24 AM
is it any thing like gly when he's wasted??? LMAO

You See
01-08-2006, 10:27 AM
/haz :iloveyou: /haz

bradc
01-08-2006, 10:29 AM
haha, you can't insure your car as a hearse Uc - it isn't the right shape. Me and Dave here will do just fine :D