PDA

View Full Version : Remus Exhausts

Kieran
29-10-2003, 11:36 PM
I've just found out that they do a rear box for the 2.0, 2.4 and the 2.5V6....

It's just the rear box, exits in 1 squared off 92x78mm tailpipe, so it looks more or less stock. The same box fits the 2.0, the 2.4GDI and the 2.5n/a V6 - Part number is: 556097 0501. It's priced at £221 INSERT INTO post VALUES (at current exchange rates).

GDI and V6 drivers also need a hanging bracket. This is listed on their site as "Bügel G - hanger G".

Does anybody have any opinions on Remus stuff? Do the exhausts sound as discreet as they look, or would they make my GLS sound like a wet fart machine?

They have an online catalogue on their website...
www.remus.at

Attached is a picture showing the exhaust:

ritch_w
30-10-2003, 11:49 AM
for not much more ££ you could probably get a full Stainless Steel system at one of those franchise places INSERT INTO post VALUES (that seem to be every where now) !!

Kieran
30-10-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm not convinced of the benefits of stainless...OK it'll last the life of the car, but I'm not so sure of the sound qualities. I prefer a muted, deep grumble, that doesn't get harsh. Some poorer stainless systems I've heard can sound dry, raspy and tinny. Yuck!
I know the majority of sound quality is down to the baffler box configuration, but I think the type of steel can make an appreciable difference too.

KiwiTT
30-10-2003, 09:46 PM
I was in a Golf V5 with remus exhaust, and it sounded great.

Kieran
30-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Cool...

Just spotted that www.needforspeed.co.uk have a Sebring back box on their site...

Opinions on Sebring, please :D

Brind
31-10-2003, 12:14 AM
All have a good following.

How about MagneX? their stuff looks nice and they're used by the EVO guys quite a lot too.

Japmetal
03-11-2003, 09:28 PM
I actually have the Remus box you're looking at fitted to my car - possibly the only 4WD to have one, since I had to have it modified to fit !! The actual exits even mount perfectly in the standard cutout in the bumper !!

It really does sound how they describe it; at low revs, you get a nice low grumble, loud enough to know you're there, but not so loud the neighbours move out every time you turn it on ! At higher revs, it turns really nasty and gets that sporty edge you hear off've the telly [well, almost !!]

I'm currently still running mine with the standard exhaust/Cat, but since my exhuast is shot the next step is to get the rest made in stainless steel with a De-cat to really let this baby rumble :cool1:

All I'll say is, fit it, get yourself blitzing down a tunnel with the windows down, and you'll be hooked !! There's a reason why Remus cans are popular with motorbikers too, y'know :)

----------------------------------

With regards stainless systems, alot of stainless systems you see on 'boy racers' cars are built to be stupidly loud, and vauxhall engines especially tend to sound raspy on any aftermarket system. I had my last car fitted with a custom-made Cat-back powerflow system by Top Gear in Burnley, and when he asked me what I wanted I opted for power over noise. The system I got was top-notch, guaranteed while I owned the car, and wasnt much louder than standard [if at all] but it certainly sounded better, and brought the best out of the car. Considering these systems often cost less than the OE option, I'd recommend them to anyone who needs a new exhaust [most places can even do direect-replacement stuff, to the same spec as OE but in high-grade stainless] and coupled with my Remus it should make a really nice noise, too :)

Kieran
03-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info Japmetal:thumb:

zedy1
03-11-2003, 10:14 PM
r u going for it

Kieran
03-11-2003, 10:21 PM
At the moment?.... Probably not....

Future?

Probably not... It's just nice to know, just incase I change my mind. I'm really thinking that good things come to those who wait, and any spare cash I throw at the GLS can't be saved towards a VR-4, which comes with most of the things I want anyway. I almost don't want to risk spoiling the GLS, if that makes any sense?:confused:

zedy1
03-11-2003, 10:31 PM
ur right tere save up and spend on the vr4:D

colVR4
16-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Me thinks I may have to have a looksee at the Remus. I am looking for an exhaust to give the V6 a bit more 'attention getting' status. Having read so many articles on exhausts there seems to be so many options.

Do I get just a back box, or a full stainless? Do I get a cat bypass INSERT INTO post VALUES (whatever that is)? What INSERT INTO post VALUES (besides the ensuing volume increase) are the benefits of all of these and what do the experts suggest?

I am looking for something that will give the exhaust note a bit more meat, without sounding too much like a H-reg Nova GTE with a scaffold pipe from the manifold :D

Erm..yes I did own a H reg Nova GTE......with a piece of scaffold pipe...briefly. Local constabulary had a few words :nono:

I would like to save up and get a VR4 instead Kieran, but the combination of insurance, fuel costs, and constantly nagging fiancee would be too much!!

zedy1
16-11-2003, 11:01 PM
doing the exsaust and replacing it with a cat pipe will give you extra power

Kieran
16-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Yes - The prospect of VR-4 ownership is producing some downright scary figures when one does the maths!!:eek:

I would recommend a system from the cat backwards - bypassing the cat will bring in an increase in emissions and probably result in an MOT failure. And you could get fined if Mr. Plod spot checks you!:lolice:

I'm not sure how restrictive the system is on the non-turbo V6, but removing the cat INSERT INTO post VALUES (and consequently dropping the exhaust backpressure) *may* affect low-range grunt - something the n/a V6 is tuned for.

To be honest, unless you get one fabricated, I think you're limited to back boxes if you want 'off the shelf' fitting:Ponder:

colVR4
16-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Hmm, in that case I will have to see whats available. I wonder if the Drager for the VR4 fits the V6?

Is yours standard at the moment Kieran?

Kieran
16-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Yes - my entire car is factory standard at the moment - apart from a neutradol air freshner INSERT INTO post VALUES (I wonder if I should declare that to Direct Line so they can try and rob me some more?!):D

I'm tempted to meddle, but I don't know.

I'm wanting to save up for a VR-4, and yet the prospect of owning one is making me:nervous:... My chief concerns are Insurance, it being stolen, fuel costs, vandalism and how many megapounds it would cost to fix if I got one that went *bang* at some point!

:bang::Cry1:

zedy1
16-11-2003, 11:32 PM
theres a company called power flow that could make u a custom exsaust for about 250 quid

colVR4
16-11-2003, 11:43 PM
I am happy with the V6 at the moment. It has some power, is a smooth ride, and looks good. I have been contemplating de-badging it for even more stealth :D

I have had a chat with some mates of mine who run a motor club and they reckon that with a few mods INSERT INTO post VALUES (exhaust, induction, chip, something about cams and weighing them??) I could get another 25-30 bhp from the engine. They say that I could do all of that for less than £1500, even cheaper if they help me fit the stuff.

I commute to work every day so I think that even worse fuel economy would cripple me.

:grrr:

Kieran
16-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Rather than £1500 on mods, what about spending that an LPG conversion? I posted a bit since with a URL giving details and prices... maybe an idea if you're feeling the pinch and you do a lot of miles...:Ponder:

colVR4
16-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Naaawww!! I'll take the extra power gains, lose a little fuel efficiency and put the girlfriend on the game. :D

Kieran
16-11-2003, 11:56 PM
ROFLOL!!!:lolz:

"Hey, Alex I've just ha<*SLAP!*>... Nevermind....":D:D

calum
17-11-2003, 12:46 AM
N/a cars respond much differently to new exhausts than turbo cars. With turbos, as little backpressure as possible is what you want, as there's a big impeller wheel INSERT INTO post VALUES (turbo) in the way of the gases and you want as much pressure differential between the manifold side and the exhaust side as possible to get that sucker spinning. With N/a's, you really can't tell what's going to work until you try it. Exhaust pulse tuning has been used to good and bad effect on n/a's over the years.

Just be careful - your car may 'sound' faster but may lose some driveability INSERT INTO post VALUES (torque) and power.

Calum

colVR4
17-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Thats an interesting point. It just shows that I know even less on the subject than I initially thought. I always thought that less back pressure was always a good thing as it decreased the resistance of the pistons expelling the exhaust gas!! :Ponder:

Any mechanical/engineering experts out there got the facts?

calum
17-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Yes - me. Unfortunately theories just don't play out with exhausts. Experimentation is best.

You would probably get as big an effect INSERT INTO post VALUES (maybe even bigger) playing with the length of the inlet tract and de-bottlenecking it.

Getting the pressure differential down between atmosphere and the inlet plenum on an n/a car is vital. The more air that gets in the better bang you can get = more power. In effect, you're 'turbocharging' your car by getting more air into the cylinders. All the restrictions like inlet funnels, bends and ripples in pipes, air flow meter, etc do nothing to help. Just creates a differential. You may be losing up to 0.2 bar! If you could get that back it would make a hell of a difference. I can let you know how to build a tool to measure where the restrictions are if you'd like?

Turbo cars don't have as much problem with this either as the air is pressurised to teh level you want, although a good inlet tract benefits any car - the turbo doesn't have to 'suck' air in if it's good.

Getting the exhaust gases out is important too, but a good set of extractors INSERT INTO post VALUES (manifold) will have much more effect than an exhaust change.

Calum

colVR4
17-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks Calum. I think I understand what you are saying!!:Eek1:

Is it possible to fit a supercharger to increase the air going into the engine? Surely all a supercharger does is blow air into the intake. How about fitting a big fan in front of the intake...

...hang on...I think I've read about this before :D :D

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2052

enigma
17-11-2003, 07:37 PM
If you can get a big enough fan then it is an option. If you take time to think about how much air actually passes through your engine though you will soon realise why its not as easy as that! Then there is the problem of making sure enough fuel is delivered and all the other issues surrounding fitting a supercharger. Not saying it cant be done, just that to develop something that works will probably cost you enough to buy 10 VR4s!!!

Looked at it myself in great depth about 10 years ago when I was a poor student looking to make it big!

Dmac1969
17-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Does anyone have a price for the standard V6 Sport/Elegance rear box from Mitsubishi? Im gonna need one to 'fill out' the hole at the arse of my car once it has the sport kit on it , i was wondering if it would be cheaper just to get the remus back box instead? INSERT INTO post VALUES (or if anyone is throwing their V6 sport back box away , would you be interested in selling it on to me??)

calum
17-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Think this is right:

4 stroke engine
up, down, up, down of the pistons is one cycle
This cycle takes two revs to complete.
The engine ‘fills’ once for every two revolutions.

Engine running at 6000rpm = engine filling 3000 times per minute

2.5l displacement x 3000 times = 7500litres of air per minute

With a turbo or supercharger running one bar boost you can double that.

You can see why a fan would struggle!
That’s why turbos and superchargers have to rotate at such ridiculous speeds – just to move that much air!

Calum

enigma
17-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Dmac1969
Does anyone have a price for the standard V6 Sport/Elegance rear box from Mitsubishi? Im gonna need one to 'fill out' the hole at the arse of my car once it has the sport kit on it , i was wondering if it would be cheaper just to get the remus back box instead? INSERT INTO post VALUES (or if anyone is throwing their V6 sport back box away , would you be interested in selling it on to me??)

Personally I would ditch it and get a shiny stainless steel backbox.........no hold on make that 2!!!! :D

Go to your local powerflow dealer and for about £120 they should be able to kit you out with something very tasty!

colVR4
18-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Thats a lot of air!

But what about a big ram scoop that has a wider opening than the feed to the filter? Surely if the surface area at the opening is bigger than the feed at the other end then more air is getting in?

I suppose it would increase drag... but would that counter the benefits?

Over to you Calum :cool:

MOD
04-04-2004, 06:16 PM
HI all

Please be aware that the Remus back box does not fit any of the sport/VR4 range!!!!! I have had both a Remus and a Sebring but neither actually fit!!! I drive a 2001 2L Sport and due the the deeper rear bumper, the exhaust is not long enough by around 3 inches!!!! All other Galants will be fine though!!!

colVR4
04-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately house move and current wedding plans are preventing any current modifications to car but at least I know that I will have to look for an alternative in the future.

Does anybody know whether the Drager exhausts fit the 2.5V6 Sport?

MOD
04-04-2004, 07:09 PM
HI

I have emailed Demon Tweeks to see if they would be able to fit one of these universal backboxes to mine. Im looking at either a Rage, or HKS but not sure how they would fit. Otherwise only other option would be Powerflow! Shucks.

MOD
15-04-2004, 09:08 PM
I spoke to Demon Tweeks and they advised me not to go for a Universal back box as they all tend to be a lot of hard work and always look messy underneath.

Powerflow quoted £170 for a rearbox.

May as well go for the full system in this case!!!!

However dont know how reliable the company is? There are some shoking pics of exhausts that have rusted really badly on the net!!!!! I always thought a stainless steel exhaust wouldnt rust??? Oh well back to the drawing board!
:shifty:

Big Ian
15-04-2004, 09:55 PM
www.needforspeed.co.uk

:shifty: use them at your own peril.......

Kieran
15-04-2004, 09:57 PM
:shifty: use them at your own peril.......

:shifty: I've been considering ordering from here, Ian. What makes you say that?

Big Ian
15-04-2004, 10:16 PM
ive used them before and the final price alway's seam's to jump?and i never had a decent reason to why this happend,a mate had the same thing and he recon's they are adding a service charge of some sort and they charge for delivery of item's you may order

"ie-they charge you for the item to be deliverd to them and then they charge you again for sending it to you and then they add their cut?"

i bought a roof spoiler before,cost £63.00 when i went to get it it was £88.00 when i asked about the diff in price he did say something about postage? which i reply'd with,em i'm here there is no need for postage!! he said that i had to pay for the item being sent to him,to be honest they are only getting stuff the same way we all can,which is making a phone call to the supplier and then getting it posted but they are adding a charge (bit like a middle man)

phone them and see what happens as ive not used them again sin's,
they may have clean'd up thier act
hope it all goes well as they are only down the road from me and if all is good new's for you i may think about using them in the future?
PS the owner is a guy called trevor(ex traffic cop) i must admit he was one of the better copper's..

Japmetal
16-04-2004, 12:46 AM
dont know how reliable the company is? There are some shoking pics of exhausts that have rusted really badly on the net!!!!! I always thought a stainless steel exhaust wouldnt rust???

I had a Powerflow exhaust on my last car, custom made by a place called Topgear in Burnley. It was a sweet bit of kit, and had a lifetime guarantee on it for as long as I owned the car. The car only lasted about a year after that [incident involving a junction & a blind old biddy] but I never had any problems - and if I had, I could've taken it back & got them to replace it FOC !

I'd say go for it; So long as their policy is still the same, if it rusts it'll be someone else's problem.