PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear at a standstill?!?

Lucas
30-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Just changed engine oil which got rid of the noisy lifter problem I was having so decided to go for a test drive... runs much better :2thumbsup

HOWEVER.... I have discovered that in tiptronic mode I can change the car to second gear even when the car is at a complete standstill!!! Now this could possibly be normal, I don't really know but what concerns me is that it NEVER has been able to do this untill today and I am still able to do it right now. It obviously isn't related to my oil change but what I want to know is do your cars do this or is this normal for it to happen? :thinking: :book:

Any info appreciated

Kieran
30-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Perfectly normal behaviour.

It does this to allow steadier, more progressive starts in slippery conditions. It's very useful in the snow!:2thumbsup

Lucas
30-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Ah good idea I suppose. Handy timing as well, I head up to the mountain on wednesday to go boarding for a couple of days :happy:

Still though it never done it before... :thinking:

White Lightning
30-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Tried it myself today. I can select 1st and 2nd when at a standstill but nothing higher ... :happy:

richy rich
30-07-2006, 06:54 PM
as k said all normal

bradc
30-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah thats perfectly normal, both my gdi (4 speed) and vr-4 (5 speed) have done the exact same thing.

Lucas
31-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Hmm maybe I was imagining things then... :rolleyes3

Tried taking off in second out of curiosity today, pretty neat idea that thing. Just makes it seem like a huge first gear or something with less low down power.