PDA

View Full Version : Shocks and Springs

Alanee
31-07-2006, 09:24 PM
I am looking for a bit of info/opinion...

I had some bad news today......I have self levelling suspension and one needs to be replaced....some of you may see this as a minor ailment akin to shaving rash or a minor paper cut - to me it is 360.00 to buy ONE and have it fitted. I have phoned around and can get a set of Eibachs and two KYB shocks for the same price (no surprises there!)

So...the questions are...If I change to the Eibach etc. option, do I need to buy new spring holder doo dahs, how will it affect handling, will anything need disconnected...anyone need the other spring??

Big ta beforehand...

Alanee

Nutter_John
31-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi Alanee - can't help with the techie stuff but have you tried Zedy (mo) he would know the answer and may have a second hand one

Alanee
31-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Last time I asked he didn't have any....

Alan

ritch_w
31-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I am looking for a bit of info/opinion...

So...the questions are...If I change to the Eibach etc. option, do I need to buy new spring holder doo dahs, how will it affect handling, will anything need disconnected...anyone need the other spring??

Big ta beforehand...

Alanee

not sure what u mean by new spring holders....

when i have replaced shocks & springs i have had to use the top mounts, bump stops etc from the oringinal units.

are you thinking about replacing your self leveling rears with non-self levelling gas shocks? if so you may need to get the topmounts, bump stops etc from a non self levelling model - again maybe Mo can help or someone can confirm if they are the same

Alanee
02-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Ritch,

I am thinking of replacing my self levellers with gas shocks and putting new springs all round (Eibach springs with new KYB gas shocks on the back) I don't think that I can use the existing spring holders as they are for the self levellers - may be wrong??...is this the case?

I would like to keep as a self leveller but at the price I can get Eibachs all round and new KYBs on the back end.

May try Mo again...

Alan

n13l pm
02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi

My rear shocks are very warn and i wanted to lower my car anyways so i ordered these:

http://www.speedbox.co.uk/products/p... spension_kit

I dont know much about techie stuff but i know in this paskage you get bilstein b8 shocks and lowering springs all the way round. Importantly for me its been tried and tested on galants including leggies.

Spirit's got them on his car who helpped me decided on what shocks and springs to go for.

Check this thread to ensure it fits your model: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17952

Personally i found it to be a great price for the package for £460! Dunno if this is any help to you, if its not then it might be to another newbie like my self..

Alanee
03-08-2006, 10:14 PM
How do the shocks feel? Soft ? Hard? Did you get new spring mounts or did you use the old ones?

Cheers,

Alan

n13l pm
04-08-2006, 12:04 AM
iv ordered them and still awaiting on package from germany.. will let you know as soon as mate.

n13l pm
08-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I received the b12 kit yesterday and will hopefully have them on this weekend :happy:

Alanee
27-08-2006, 12:20 PM
how do they feel?

Alan

n13l pm
29-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry for the late reply.. iv been enjoying my ride with the B12 kit installed.

Its a solid transformation. I purchased the kit as my old rear shocks had been kaned and I wanted to lower the car and as I had the money I went for the full kit.

Money well spent, the car is soo low and the shocks have made a massive difference. All the roll on corners and round-abouts have gone and the car feels as solid as you like. Handling is unreal.

One of the main reasons why I upgraded was bacause I didnt like the massive gap in the wheel arches, and this kit has sorted it that out with ease. My front arch had about 9cm of a gap as it could fit my whole fist length ways!! now its about 4cm I would say and looks heavy (i got before and after pics). I need to watch it when going over speed bumps but otherwise its really good, theres no tyre to arch rub with three people in the car and I cant see there being any even with more people in the car.

I'll post pictures of it soon.