PDA

View Full Version : What type of brake fluid?

White Lightning
03-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm having the brake fluid changed on Saturday. I was going to do it myself but as I'm going down to see the folks (and moving soon), I am going to drop in at AP Motors and get her up on the ramps - I think my lower ball joint may be on it's way out too so want to have a look at that while she's on the ramps.

Anyway, back on topic /pan

What type of brake fluid does everyone recommend? I have got a standard engine setup and brake setup at the moment. I need to put in something that will be suitable for trackdays as I will be doing 3 track sessions at Japfest II plus (hopefully) a trip to the 'ring next year.

Also, I am planning on upgrading to better discs and pads up front when these were out (if that's relavent) - probably just the National grooved discs and Ferodo pads as that seems to be the recommend setup...

So, what's recommend, sticking with standard dot 4 or upgrading to dot 5 ??

TIA
Wayne

Roadrunner
03-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I use DOT4, I didn't like DOT5.1 Never had any problems with brake fade.

White Lightning
03-08-2006, 12:22 PM

Why didn't you like 5.1 ?

Have you used this fluid on trackdays?

Roadrunner
03-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Why didn't you like 5.1 ?

Have you used this fluid on trackdays?
Too soft a pedal for my liking. I thought initially the brakes hadn't been bled properly but the pedal was the same after bleeding a further twice. Went back to DOT 4 and preferred the feel. Never used 5.1 on track because of the above.

White Lightning
03-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Too soft a pedal for my liking. I thought initially the brakes hadn't been bled properly but the pedal was the same after bleeding a further twice. Went back to DOT 4 and preferred the feel. Never used 5.1 on track because of the above.

Thanks.

I assume that means you have run with DOT 4 on the track? Did you use standard brakes with this setup and did you get much brake fade?

amsoil
03-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Forget the rest get hold of some ATE Super Blue. Its available from the Performance Oils web site under performance products. You may well be able to get it elsewhere if you do a search. This stuff rocks, I use it in my road car and my race car. it is much kinder to the seals and unusually for a brake fluid resists the moisture uptake. It is good for upto 3 years. We also sell it for a lot less than the high spec brake fluids;:inquisiti be very careful if you decide to go for the very high grade racing fluids as they are very corrosive and only hold spec for about 2 weeks.

White Lightning
03-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Forget the rest get hold of some ATE Super Blue. Its available from the Performance Oils web site under performance products. You may well be able to get it elsewhere if you do a search. This stuff rocks, I use it in my road car and my race car. it is much kinder to the seals and unusually for a brake fluid resists the moisture uptake. It is good for upto 3 years. We also sell it for a lot less than the high spec brake fluids;:inquisiti be very careful if you decide to go for the very high grade racing fluids as they are very corrosive and only hold spec for about 2 weeks.

Looks good. Has anyone else used this stuff?

Does anyone know how much fluid is needed to do a fluid change on a VR-4?

richy rich
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Looks good. Has anyone else used this stuff?

Does anyone know how much fluid is needed to do a fluid change on a VR-4?
we at wrd used it on jimbos car we have not been told good or bad on it from jimbo give him a shout.

we used about 1.5l this was used to give it a very good flush out ,and you know when it has come though the system as it is bright blue.

Spirit
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Wayne, if you decide otherwise please call AP first thing tomorrow as they are ordering some 5.1 for you.

White Lightning
03-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Wayne, if you decide otherwise please call AP first thing tomorrow as they are ordering some 5.1 for you.

Will do mate. I am starting to think that I may just do this myself (sounds like an easy job). Save some money and get the Amsoil stuff :2thumbsup

Roadrunner
04-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks.

I assume that means you have run with DOT 4 on the track? Did you use standard brakes with this setup and did you get much brake fade?
Well, you were in my car at Nurburgring, what did you think? :) DOT 4 fluid with Brembos and DS2500s all round. No fade :)

White Lightning
04-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, you were in my car at Nurburgring, what did you think? :) DOT 4 fluid with Brembos and DS2500s all round. No fade :)

Sorry Brian - I didn't realise it was you /pan

It certainly felt good to me :pimp2:

caishanvr4
05-08-2006, 10:30 PM
It certainly felt good to me :pimp2:

^ EXPLAIN THIS SENTENCE ^

ARE YOU GUYS "COMING OUT?"

/Hmmm

White Lightning
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
^ EXPLAIN THIS SENTENCE ^

ARE YOU GUYS "COMING OUT?"

/Hmmm

:rolleyes3

Nah mate, Brian (H.7) took me out for a passenger lap at the Nurburgring during RT4...

bernmc
08-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Heard good things about super blue, but it's not cheap. I bought a box of Motul RBF600 from oilman at a good price. Should last a little while (12 litres!).

Used as an alternative to superblue by blokes on MLR, so can't be too bad :)

Jimbo
12-08-2006, 11:53 AM

Yep, same here

Dot 5.1 is pointless IMO - certainly for a road car that goes on track now and again. There's a big misconception that because it's a bigger number that it must be better - all the premium quality brake fluids I've used have all been Dot 4, including the Amsoil stuff. There's very, VERY little temperature difference between them.....sometimes only 1 degree.

Jimbo
12-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh and I should say - I'm not 100% convinced on the amsoil super blue as yet (sorry Don...bear with me). I changed my front AP discs and pads and brake fluid in a short space of time, and my pedal does feel ever so slightly softer than I'm used to with racing brakes.

It's one of these reasons:

1) DS2500's take longer to "warm up" than my old pads
2) My brakes are not bled 100%
3) I have a small leak.

The car still stops on a sixpence when I need it to though....just got to press the pedal a bit more than usual. Will head over to WRD soon to eliminate 2 and 3 and then let you all know for sure. I'm convinced its me being paranoid.

HJM
12-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm happy using 5.1 - works a treat with my KAD set up - sure Pete uses the same ?
And don't forget Jimbo your car weighs less than a Leggie /thankyou /grr /STP /catfight (approx 50 bags of Tate & Lyle :D )

H

Jimbo
12-08-2006, 05:09 PM
And don't forget Jimbo your car weighs less than a Leggie /thankyou /grr /STP /catfight (approx 50 bags of Tate & Lyle :D )

Oi, get back in yer box coneboy /Devil5

amsoil
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
With brake fluid its good to go along with what you are happy with. There are higher spec fluids than super blue and I have used many of them including the AP 600 and the AP650; These are superior no question but they are race fluids that deteriorate from the day you open the bottle.; wickedly corrosive and highly hydroscopic, But definately better tha super blue if you are content to flush and refill every 2 weeks (in the case of AP650) and stand by with complete seal kits as they are not seal friendly. Personally I got so very pissed off with the effort I used super blue in the end. IMHO its the best compromise which is why we stock it. simple really.
The idea is , like Amsoil really, you use it and leave it in for longer, it doesn't suck in water like normal brake fluid and its apparent lower then Dot 5 spec will be eqalised and surpassed within a few weeks, but this is my logic and brakes being what they are do just go with what you are happy with cause I'm sure not going to get rich on selling the stuff. I don't know anyone who sells it cheaper but do stand as always to be corrected; and on top of that you get the usual discount. Back to polishing off the father in laws vodka now!:runkest: :runkest:

I-S
12-08-2006, 08:58 PM

This sounds like DOT 5 rather than DOT 5.1

Kieran
12-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Back to polishing off the father in laws vodka now!:runkest: :runkest:

That's what weekends are for!!;)Knowing your wife's nationality, would I be correct in pesuming the Vodka would be a little special?:beerchug: :rolleyes3 :rolleyes3

amsoil
13-08-2006, 03:19 PM
That's what weekends are for!!;)Knowing your wife's nationality, would I be correct in pesuming the Vodka would be a little special?:beerchug: :rolleyes3 :rolleyes3

Well its just gone 6pm here and I have just got up from the excesses of lunch time; its vodka with everything here, you can even get cans of it cheaper than coke! I don't think that there are bottles available as weak as the vodka in the UK ! 160 - 180% proof seems about the norm and its vodka at the start of the salad, during and after not just the men either. :beerbang: :rolleyes3

Kieran
13-08-2006, 03:56 PM
180 proof? Good grief!!:rolleyes3 :rolleyes3 :rolleyes3 :beerbang:

Heh! bet it would almost double up as brake fluid!!/Hyper

amsoil
13-08-2006, 04:02 PM
180 proof? Good grief!!:rolleyes3 :rolleyes3 :rolleyes3 :beerbang:

Heh! bet it would almost double up as brake fluid!!/Hyper

Not so sure what its doing to my seals though! /haz

Kalle
13-08-2006, 05:10 PM
I use ATE super blue, at about £20 it is not that expensive..

Another cheaper alternative would be the Motul Racing Brake Fluid 600 - 0.5 L for about £7!

amsoil
13-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I use ATE super blue, at about £20 it is not that expensive..

Another cheaper alternative would be the Motul Racing Brake Fluid 600 - 0.5 L for about £7!

Should have got me to send you over some with the oil; we do it at 16 UKP (cant find the sterling sign on Russian XP!) before discount. IMHO that is cheap !!!

Roadrunner
13-08-2006, 09:04 PM
This sounds like DOT 5 rather than DOT 5.1
You could be right, I couldn't say for sure. Happy with DOT 4 though, don't feel a need to change :)