PDA

View Full Version : Wheel sizes

StunEm
06-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Got myself a 98 Legnum VR4 and wondering what size wheel, tyres i can go up to. Got 17x7.5 on at the moment. These wheels to me look tiny compared to the size of the car especially as i lower it.
Has anyone gone bigger than 18's. The wheels i am considering are 20x8.5 running 225/30 r20 or 235/30 r20.

Gly
06-08-2006, 06:55 AM
20s will make the car handle and feel like arse.
and thats if you can get them on at all.

large wheels are an issue on our cars due to the suspension style.
not enough room for the upper part of the arm,

largest wheels i know of on a legnum are 19 x 7s (diameter wise)

so you could have bigger wheels but they would have to be much more narrow.

and IMO i would get 18" wheels,

a couple of members have actually considered going back to 17s as they are a better all round ride, comfort and handling.

bradc
06-08-2006, 09:16 AM
20's do look a little too big on our cars, if you want to go with something big stick with 18's or 19's, but the best for handling and performance is still going to be 17's

ntrance
06-08-2006, 10:16 AM
I've got 18's on quite a low suspension setup, and it's a pain in the a$$ driving over speed bumps.

Spirit
06-08-2006, 11:01 AM
I've got lowered suspension and big brake upgrade and I am restricted to 17 x 7's ! I think they look okay anyway and the amount of tyres I use it saves me a lot in costs too. I am happy with 17's for overall compromise, and certainly would not advise anymore than 18's anyway.

StunEm
07-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Cheers boys.

The reason i asked was when looking at
pics on the forum, i saw this and loved it...

http://www.soederman.se/colt/images/GalantGalleri/galant96.jpg

Are those 19's on it. Or is that a bloody good photo chop.

Ride comfort at the moment is already hard as i have D2 adjustables in there are they are stiff as my beast sits about 85mm off the ground. Being a super VR4, it has those huge side skirts and less than 50mm clearance under them. The police are ok with me as i dont piss them off by cruising back and forward on friday, saturday nights etc.

Gly
07-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Cheers boys.

Ride comfort at the moment is already hard as i have D2 adjustables in there are they are stiff as my beast sits about 85mm off the ground. Being a super VR4, it has those huge side skirts and less than 50mm clearance under them. The police are ok with me as i dont piss them off by cruising back and forward on friday, saturday nights etc.

its a real car, but its just a american 8g, non turbo,
and they have a different suspension to our jap imports/nz new cars

50mm is ok on the side skirts, its not fixed.

its the lowest fixed point ride height that matters.
which is the cross member on our cars,

OSiRiS
07-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Cheers boys.

Wow another Super VR4? You didn't by chance buy this one off Trademe did you?

Pics?

I had 17" x 8" wheels on the Legnum, lowered on TEIN coilovers with 225/45/17 tyres on. They seemed to be experiencing strut burn or something similar as when I changed wheels to 17" x 7" we pulled the tyres off and it's very evident. The whole inside of the tyres in the fronts were all "burnt down" so that some of the writing on the sidewall isn't visible anymore.

However some of the guys on the forum here say it's ok and they haven't had any problems with running 8" wide rims, 40 offset with 225 tyres. I have though.

There was also a slight problem when it still had standard suspension, when I trial fitted 235/50/17 tyres on the 8" wide rims where it would sound like it was "bottoming out" when going over bumps. If you look at the suspension setup in the rear, you will see that there is little clearance between the top of your tyre and abit of the suspension component.

Louis
08-08-2006, 12:15 AM
I am on D2 coilovers also, I have about 20cm height between top of tyre and edge of wheel arch, the wheels are EVO 8 Enkie's 17 x 8's offset is 38m, with 235 / 45 / 17's.
No contact but very close to suspension at inside, and just inside wheel arch.
settings are quite stiff so not too much movement between tyre and arch.

SO, in theory, if you keep the same rolling radius, (which you have to do to keep the speedo reading correctly), then as you move up rim sizes, as long as you decrease tyre profile as you go up, then the overall diameter will stay the same. So you should still be able to have 8 inch wide.

If you go to an online tyre diameter calculator (google it), what you get is:
These options all have nearly the same rolling radius:
215/55/16 = 643mm. = original size
235/45/17 = 643mm. 0.00%
235/30/20 = 649mm. +0.93%
205/30/21 = 656mm. +2.02%

you can go up to 2.5% over or under and it won't affect your speedo
"±2.5% is the MAXIMUM difference in diameters"

All the above wheels would be 8 inch wide, and the widest tyre size above is 235mm.

Use this to play around with sizes and options.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Basically, bigger wheel = less tyre profile.

cheers Louis

OSiRiS
08-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Yes of course bigger wheel = less tyre profile no doubt.

What I was bringing to attention though was the 40 offset wheels of an 8" rim was causing me some problems.

Louis
08-08-2006, 12:47 AM
cool, I wasn't meaning to sound like I was contradicting or anything, just adding info.
When I was buying my alloys, I was getting all technical and stressed about offset etc, should it be 35, or 38 or 40, then you stop to think about it and it hits you that the difference between a 38mm offset and a 40mm offset is 2mm.
Which isn't that big a difference really, (although 2mm is a big deal if your tyre is just rubbing)

StunEm
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Didnt buy The Super VR4 off trademe. I work at a dealership in dunedin, auto technician, and it came in as a trade in so i got it dirt cheap at wholesale rates. With that it left me a bit of cash to splash around. Owned the car for just over a month and alreadly fitted adjustables, 3 inch exhaust and BOV. Havent taken any good pics of it yet. Will post when i do. Height wise is not a concern apart from my driveway at home and work. Side skirts just rub.

OSiRiS
08-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Very nice.

I wonder if it's the Super VR4 floating around Dunedin that was on Trademe. As far as I can remember no-one was interested even when the price was around 9g.

Could have been possibly traded in because of that.

Anyway.

:D

StunEm
09-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Very nice.

I wonder if it's the Super VR4 floating around Dunedin that was on Trademe. As far as I can remember no-one was interested even when the price was around 9g.

:D

If it was that one then they lost alot of money when they traded it, what colour was it, My beast is grey and only had gutter f**ked rims and turbo timer when i got it.

OSiRiS
09-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Super VR4s only come in Silver ;)

VR4 MAD
09-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Like this one that's for sale in Christchurch.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=65436944

This one's been on TradeMe for quite awhile, though as well.

/Wyhy

WildCards
10-08-2006, 11:22 AM
What are we up to now then, 5? known Super VR'4s between the UK and NZ.

bradc
10-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I've seen at least 4 on the roads here that aren't known to the club otherwise. If I had to guess I'd say there would be at least 20, maybe 50 in NZ.

Kalle
10-08-2006, 05:21 PM
20" on a VR4:
http://www.garaget.org/?car=26333&image=227173

Tiresize:
245/35

bradc
10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Here are a couple of pics of a Super VR-4 sedan in NZ with 20" wheels on.

In the second pic you can see Bluey, Osiris and Uc, but they all have their backs to the camera :)

OSiRiS
10-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Yup that's Bevan from Chosen Few. Just becase he had 20s on it didn't mean they fit properly ;)

StunEm
13-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Super VR4s only come in Silver ;)

Sorry OSiRiS, My car is Silver not grey. And yes i am very proud to be a owner of one of those Super VR4's.
Red carpets, gear knob, steering wheel, carbon fibre centre console surround and those really comfortable recaros. Got got back from christchurch (about 4 hours drive and feeling great).
Was at the AutoSalon and there was a legnum with 19 x 8 there. They fitted with good clearances and filled out the guards nicely.