PDA

View Full Version : 4WD on a V6?

Rikki
07-08-2006, 04:01 PM
When I bought my car, a friend of mine gave it the once over to check for any niggles. After about 2 minutes of looking under the car he was positive the car had 4WD. I told him it was FWD but he wouldn't believe me so he took it a run, discovering it is in fact FWD. He got confused so checked it again.

Now he fixes a lot of cars and owns an S4 so kinda knew what he was looking for. Basically what he has told me is the 4WD system is there, just needs connected somehow.

Is this likely?

Wouter
07-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Mitsi do a V6 4WD.... its called the ST-R....

If it is a 4WD, then there would be a prop shaft... tranfer box and rear diff....

So if your car has all these... then it is 4WD.

Wouter
07-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh and it is unlikely that Mitsi would fit a Prop shaft and rear Diff for no reason!

Rikki
07-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Mitsi do a V6 4WD.... its called the ST-R....

If it is a 4WD, then there would be a prop shaft... tranfer box and rear diff....

So if your car has all these... then it is 4WD.

Personally I wouldnt know what I was looking for, however my friend did assure me that it 'could' be 4WD but I couldn't tell you what is missing from it. Its not an import or any other form of V6 as far as I know.

ritch_w
07-08-2006, 04:40 PM
AFAIK ur car is a standard UK car, so it is not 4wd and no way it could be.

Paul Beazer
07-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I think im right in saying that no UK 8G Galants were normally available in 4WD. Only FWD, unless you count the Ralliart imported VR4's.
You do get them imported, in 1.8, 2.4 GDI's, but i dont think they did them in the 2.0l or 2.5l V6.
Kieran the geek will know.
Meant to say also the floor pan needs to be very different as you need a transmission tunnel etc for the prop shaft, so its not something that could be retro fitted later.

Kieran
07-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I think im right in saying that no UK 8G Galants were normally available in 4WD. Only FWD, unless you count the Ralliart imported VR4's.
You do get them imported, in 1.8, 2.4 GDI's, but i dont think they did them in the 2.0l or 2.5l V6.
Kieran the geek will know.
Meant to say also the floor pan needs to be very different as you need a transmission tunnel etc for the prop shaft, so its not something that could be retro fitted later.

That's pretty much it Paul - you nerd!/haz

Only slight correction is in the home market, the Legnum ST-R was a 4WD car, and that had the 2.5 6A13 engine (same as in our V6-24s and V6 Sports).

4WD was NEVER a UK market option (VR-4s aside). You can confirm by looking at your chassis number... it will have EA5A in there if it's a saloon. And this show's that it's a 2WD chassis.

See here for more chassis-code nerdyness!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9207&highlight=ea2a

bradc
08-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Over here we see tons of jap imports, Kenneth's old 1.8gdi sedan was a 4wd one, and I beleive they made them with 4wd with 2.4gdi in facelifts, and of course the st and st-r prefacelift wagons are 4wd too.

I think the question here is more about how easy would it be to convert a 2wd 8G into a 4wd 8G, it might be a matter of just putting in a transfer box, rear diff and some drive shafts, what is the chance mitsi left all of the other parts there, ie the rear hubs are the same, the mounts are all there, etc etc because they were too damned lazy to design 2 differant cars?

Wouter
08-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Over here we see tons of jap imports, Kenneth's old 1.8gdi sedan was a 4wd one, and I beleive they made them with 4wd with 2.4gdi in facelifts, and of course the st and st-r prefacelift wagons are 4wd too.

I think the question here is more about how easy would it be to convert a 2wd 8G into a 4wd 8G, it might be a matter of just putting in a transfer box, rear diff and some drive shafts, what is the chance mitsi left all of the other parts there, ie the rear hubs are the same, the mounts are all there, etc etc because they were too damned lazy to design 2 differant cars?

You would also need a different gearbox... as the transfer box will not fit on a FWD gearbox!

Rikki
08-08-2006, 08:20 AM

:thumbsup: That is what I was meaning, thanks :D

I was aware that the car was 2WD but I was a bit shocked when he told me it was 4WD, and my friend was equally shocked. So it leads me to believe, as Brad says, maybe Mits used the same parts, to save money?? Whether this is likely or not I am not sure however there must have been something under the car which led my friend to believe it was 4WD in the first place.

Quite curious now to see how easy / difficult it would be to convert it to 4WD!

ritch_w
08-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Now he fixes a lot of cars and owns an S4 so kinda knew what he was looking for. Basically what he has told me is the 4WD system is there, just needs connected somehow.Is this likely?

no offence to your mate Rikki, but if he has an S4 and knows about 4wd motors he should know what a propshaft and rear diff looks like.

your motor is a v6 sport with 4 stud hubs and FWD, mitsi 4wd systems have 5 stud hubs

bradc
08-08-2006, 08:42 AM
so now we are up to transfer box, gearbox, shafts, rear diff - it's just not worth it!

Ritch, thats actually not true, the Legnum ST has 4 stud hubs and some have 4wd. Just ask Gly or Lucas, they both have them :)

Rikki
08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
no offence to your mate Rikki, but if he has an S4 and knows about 4wd motors he should know what a propshaft and rear diff looks like.

your motor is a v6 sport with 4 stud hubs and FWD, mitsi 4wd systems have 5 stud hubs

I understand what your saying but as said in a previous post, there could be similarities between the 4WD and the 2WD systems, maybe to save Mits on production costs. Am guessing anything is possible eh?

I wasnt considering changing my setup to 4WD, even after the confusion between myself and my friend (mechanic in his 30's) however I was simply curious to see if there was any reason why he would come to that conclusion.

ritch_w
08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
4wd will have a larger transmission tunnel to accomodate the exhaust and propshaft from the transfer box to the rear diff. the rear end on a fwd galant will look very different from a 4wd

might be an idea if u could get a piccie up of under the rear of your car and then someone post the same for a vr4???

Rikki
08-08-2006, 01:26 PM
4wd will have a larger transmission tunnel to accomodate the exhaust and propshaft from the transfer box to the rear diff. the rear end on a fwd galant will look very different from a 4wd

might be an idea if u could get a piccie up of under the rear of your car and then someone post the same for a vr4???

ill try get that tonight! i hate curiosity lol