PDA

View Full Version : HELP FOB Doesn't Work!!!! :(

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 06:41 PM
got to the car after finishing work and the fob didnt work so i used the key and the backup dongle thing on the dash

so i went to halfords for a replacement battery

still it wont respond to the fob

wtf!

HELP!

g6acb
07-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Is this the Cobra alarm??? if so stand near car and hold both butons down until the LED on the fob goes out (10 seconds-ish), release both buttons and the LED should come on - press main button for 1 second and the led should flash and re-synchronise itself

Hope that helps

Mine does it every now and again....

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 07:18 PM
its a black round-ish thing with a rubber thing to the keyrings, it has two buttons one bigger than the other, the bigger one unlocks and locks, and the little one is a panic alarm of some sort cos when i press it the alarm goes off

is that the one?

Nick VR4
07-08-2006, 07:21 PM
its a black round-ish thing with a rubber thing to the keyrings, it has two buttons one bigger than the other, the bigger one unlocks and locks, and the little one is a panic alarm of some sort cos when i press it the alarm goes off

is that the one?

Yes its it

g6acb
07-08-2006, 07:21 PM
sounds like it....

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 07:24 PM
right i held both buttons down with the led flashing constantly then it went off then on again permanently..

i pressed the main button down for about a second as what you said then let go

eff all difference :(

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 07:30 PM
how long after the 1 second press should i be able to use it again?

also should i see something happen after the 1 second bit?

g6acb
07-08-2006, 07:47 PM
how long after the 1 second press should i be able to use it again?

also should i see something happen after the 1 second bit?

should work straight away....

The system needs to be dis-armed when you do all this......

try putting the dongle into the thing on the dash once (indicators should flash) and try again???

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 07:49 PM
will do as soon as my daughter stops whinging when being put down on the floor :)

Spirit
07-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Here's the exact procedure if it helps:

1: With the system disarmed switch ON the ignition
2: Insert a touch key into the touch key receptacle, the dashboard LED will permanently illuminate
3: Press both radio key buttons together until the radio key LED stops flashing and goes out (approx 10s)
4: Release the buttons and the radio key LED comes ON
5: Press one radio key button, the radio key LED blinks and the dashboard LED goes OUT for 1 second
6: Repeat steps 3-5 for all other legitimate radio keys. When all keys are taught switch off the ignition (the dashboard LED will go OUT)

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 08:05 PM
ermm..

i dont know what to say but this is odd

i have a spare fob i forgot about and found it in a drawer.. never used it

well that works fine????

so is the main fob knackered? cos no matter what i do it wont control the car

Nick VR4
07-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Mmmm sounds like its busted have you tried what Pete said as well ?

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 08:57 PM
my daughter wont stop screaming cos her mum is out so i cant test anymore

but

where can i buy a replacement fob and how much are they?

Nick VR4
07-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Try you local Car Alarms installer if you have sussed that the other one works might be that fob is naff

Spirit
07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Some on eBay mate: http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=cobra+fob /Wyhy

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 10:44 PM
nice one spirit im going to bid for one now, it seems it can be programmed to be used with my car

i hope so!

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Try you local Car Alarms installer if you have sussed that the other one works might be that fob is naff

do you mean they could check the iffy one to see if it is buggered or not, or that they could fix it?

depending on how much they charge would be easier and cheaper to buy another off ebay?

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 11:09 PM
ive just won a new fob off ebay, 17 quid inc postage

not bad i thought

so guys do i use the above procedure to get the new fob to work with my car?

g6acb
07-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Not convinced that a new fob is a) required, or b) easy to program to your alarm.....

This in the members section http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3803

gives instructions on how to re-sync / add new keys to the Elite alarm..... as Spirit has suggested

Both my UK Galant's have had the Optimum alarm.... Someone may know better than me but I think the Elite alarm went on the official RalliArt imports - UK spec (GLS, V6-24 etc) got the Optimum - don't know the exact differences but programming new keys is different

I have the instruction leaflet for the Optimum HF3 Security System SP029742 - but can't scan it in at the mo....

"PIN CODE

Each Mitsubishi Optimum HF3 Alarm System has a unique PIN code which can be used for emergancy disarm and is required, together with one of the emergency override touch keys, for programming replacemrnt or additional radio keys. Your PIN code is given on the card supplied with your Alarm system together with the serial no of the system itself......... Without the PIN code and emergency overide touch key no additional or replacement radio keys can be programmed into the system"

I have got no idea what format this PIN no is in or how you input it as I dont have that card or serial no myself...

What it says about dud keyfobs

"Testing te Remote Key and Re-synchronisation

If at any time, the remote key does not operate the system, stand close to the car and press and hold down both buttons until the LED on the remote key goes out - aproximatley 10 seconds. Release both butons - the LED will come on constantly. Then Press button A (arm/disarm button) for approximatley 1 second - the LED will flash - this should complete the re-synchronisation. In case of difficulty please consult you Dealer etcetcetc"

I think it may be wise to try and find out just which alarm you have got before you get a new fob???

Maybe this should now be in the members section if it is deemed a bit sensitive on the grounds of security???

g6acb
07-08-2006, 11:24 PM
ive just won a new fob off ebay, 17 quid inc postage

not bad i thought

so guys do i use the above procedure to get the new fob to work with my car?

Well I guess we will find out one way or the other now!!

strapping young lad
07-08-2006, 11:39 PM
true :)

it looks the same as the duff one anyway

fingers crossed

BraindG
08-08-2006, 09:26 AM
I have a toad alarm, and my fob is REALLY odd, sometimes it just, stops working.. and i need to get a penny to open it up, and then it works again.. when i say open it up, its just a case of movign the back off it for about 2mm or so...

if thats an option on yours, you could try that?

strapping young lad
08-08-2006, 05:10 PM
i had opened mine twice, once to remove the suspect battery and reinstall then i also reopened to check the battery snugness but still nowt :(

maybe im doing the steps wrongly.. who knows

if i remember i will bring to japfest so you guys can have a go

but not too close to any of your cars cos it might become a master key! :D

BraindG
08-08-2006, 05:49 PM
but not too close to any of your cars cos it might become a master key! :D

Or the remote for the fart machine /lol

strapping young lad
08-08-2006, 07:59 PM
oh no you have one of those!

strapping young lad
14-08-2006, 09:41 AM
morning

my new fob arrived, but i still cannot program it

can anyone help me?

i live near chorley but work near j23 m6 (or runcorn most days these days down by rocksavage)

danshepps
12-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Thank you thank you thank you. just had same problem with key fob.Tried your reset sequence and it worked.

BraindG
12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Thank you thank you thank you. just had same problem with key fob.Tried your reset sequence and it worked.
/Wyhy /Welcome - glad you found some usefull info.

I-S
19-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Woohoo!

I discovered something "interesting" this evening. The programming sequence of "touch key, LED lights up, etc" DOESN'T WORK on my GDI. It did work on the GLS though.

I think what's happened is that the GDI has a newer form of the alarm where the fobs are hard-coded to the alarm. The reprogram sequence on the GDI is just the "press two buttons for ten secs then the big one for one sec" - without using the touch key.