PDA

View Full Version : Only one key - Help!

Rikki
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
/help

Ok 'Strapping Young Lad's' post about his key fob reminded me that since I bought the car I have only one key.

So - Commence Question/Problem
Can I get a regular key cut to start the car? Or do I need one with a transponder? I have looked at a previous post about this but I think the key I have looks different however i'll check again after this. Basically, I have one key, one fob and NO transponder thingy that you tap on the dash (my old car has one and there is the pad on the dash for it). *see attached pic

anyone help with what my options may be? cheers in advance.

BraindG
08-08-2006, 09:20 AM
you'll have to go to mitshi to get key cut, they take chassi number, contact japan.. then get it cut... ive had this done.

the alarm pob could be purchased through the dealer, providing you still have the certificate.. (i tink im right in saying that)

WildCards
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
you'll have to go to mitshi to get key cut, they take chassi number, contact japan.. then get it cut... ive had this done.

the alarm pob could be purchased through the dealer, providing you still have the certificate.. (i tink im right in saying that)

I bought some keys off ebay (£5 a pair - non transponder type) and the local mr Key cut chap was happy to do it. If you've got a transponder in your key you've got to do what Braindg has said though.

Rikki
08-08-2006, 09:38 AM

dealers prices not be through the roof though? am looking at only getting a key to open and start the car incase something happens to it. my alarm is fecked so ill need a new one at some point.

BraindG
08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
/shrug, local key cutter wouldn't cut a car key for me. Hence having to go to mitshi..

Rikki
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
/shrug, local key cutter wouldn't cut a car key for me. Hence having to go to mitshi..

Think i might have to tbh. Mits will be making a mint out of me haha. They wanted £500 for the new Cobra alarm system, but ill wait n buy a Clifford or something. Rough cost for the key from Mitsi you think?

BraindG
08-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Think i might have to tbh. Mits will be making a mint out of me haha. They wanted £500 for the new Cobra alarm system, but ill wait n buy a Clifford or something. Rough cost for the key from Mitsi you think?
i think it was about 40 quid...

you should give Zedy a tinkle, he fits alarms for a living.. might be cheaper to drive down to Blackburn to have it fitted, than spending 500 quid.

Rikki
08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
i think it was about 40 quid...

you should give Zedy a tinkle, he fits alarms for a living.. might be cheaper to drive down to Blackburn to have it fitted, than spending 500 quid.

yeah no doubt. looks like it'll be a xmas pressie to myself! :D I bought the car in Blackburn actually

strapping young lad
08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
bought a new fob from ebay last night for 17 quid m8

if it dont work then put it back on ebay

BraindG
08-08-2006, 09:48 AM

How can that work? - they all different frequencies arn't they?

Rikki
08-08-2006, 09:48 AM

would you not still need to take it to mits to pair it with the alarm system?

WildCards
08-08-2006, 10:02 AM

Mine must be hard up or something Barry, he didn't even batter an eyelid.

david
12-08-2006, 07:47 PM
the fob which is in your picture is for a cobra alarm i will have a look in the book that i have with mine to see what happens when you lose them

kookie
18-08-2006, 10:56 AM
the fob which is in your picture is for a cobra alarm i will have a look in the book that i have with mine to see what happens when you lose them

Got a new key and alarm fob from Mitsi, cost me £110.00