PDA

View Full Version : Went to view my 1st galant today.

flat spot
11-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Well that was a waste of a day off work and 8 hrs travelling and viewing. Shame really, black estate elegance, manual '02 plate just what the doctor ordered.
Unforunately not. This one has had a hard life. I've never ever seen so many stone chips. Totally peppered with them. Actually I can't describe how bad it was for that.
The interior was great. The service history was a little dubious in places although it was mitsu, but strangly there was very little oil in the engine.
They did say they'd blow the bonnet over and replace the windscreen (it was that bad) and maybe a tyre but it was to bad for me and although I wanted it badly I had to walk away.
For the money £5500 it was probably worth it. Have it a couple of years then flog it on, but I like to keep my stuff (I've had my calibra 8 years now) and for a long term car it wasn't for me.
Still willing to wait for the right one.

HoHum.:(

Brunty
11-08-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm amazed you had to travel 8hrs to look at what you were hoping would be a good Galant! Where in the UK are you?

The stone-chips is a particular issue with Galants - mine is in a bit of a state - mix of design fault and eager driving I guess.

Stick with it they're awesome vehicles. Hope you have better luck with the next one.

Funkstar
11-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing. Not walking away has been my downfall with a fair few cars.

Always best to wait. The next one you see may be a peach!!

MGV6
11-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Well that was a waste of a day off work and 8 hrs travelling and viewing. Shame really, black estate elegance, manual '02 plate just what the doctor ordered.
Unforunately not. This one has had a hard life. I've never ever seen so many stone chips. Totally peppered with them. Actually I can't describe how bad it was for that.
The interior was great. The service history was a little dubious in places although it was mitsu, but strangly there was very little oil in the engine.
They did say they'd blow the bonnet over and replace the windscreen (it was that bad) and maybe a tyre but it was to bad for me and although I wanted it badly I had to walk away.
For the money £5500 it was probably worth it. Have it a couple of years then flog it on, but I like to keep my stuff (I've had my calibra 8 years now) and for a long term car it wasn't for me.
Still willing to wait for the right one.

HoHum.:(

Just curious, how far you had to travel?

I travelled 500 miles to get one of my Galant car (i.e. London to Plymouth) :)

Nutter_John
11-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Flatspot , not sure what car you are after or the funds etc , but lboots has just put his up for sale . I have seen this car and it is one of the nice mitsi's i have ever seen .

flat spot
11-08-2006, 10:15 PM
It was actually only 120 miles away. Unfortunately the M6 is horrendous. Over 3 hrs there and over 3 hrs back from L'pool area to Kidderminster. Then viewing time, then bit of time in the pub to decide.

The stone chips maybe an issue, but I kid you not there were 2 huge ones on the bonnet. One had caused it to dent quite badly. All in all probably 10 on the windscreen and I couldn't guess how many others on the bonnet, wings, roof.

I've never seen a car so bad. True enough they could be covered properly if the whole front end was resprayed but it wasn't for me. There were a few other issues I just wasn't happy with.

As for the car for sale I'm going to hang on a bit more for another estate to come up, but if I decide on a saloon it would have to be bog standard 'cos that's the way I like them.

Funds aren't really an issue. Finding a mint car seems to be./wall

ritch_w
12-08-2006, 10:09 AM
u done the right thing - best to follow ur gut instinct

there will be minters out there!!