PDA

View Full Version : ds2500 vs ebc green stuff

orionn2o
11-08-2006, 08:54 PM
just wondered whats a better deal do you think on pads??

baring in mind that the ds2500 are 90 quid vs ebc being 45 quid.

Are the ferrodos twices as good for the money???

And if the ds2500's are the preferred choice, firstly, can you buy them for the rear?? OR will the ebc's be adequate for this job? as they are only 25 quid.

All prices from power engineering who i've always seen as a reputable garage. They wouldn't offer them if they were crap would they???

Spirit
11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Stories I have heard about Green Stuff I would rather be alive and £45 poorer /GJ

orionn2o
11-08-2006, 09:05 PM
ok i'll take that as a good reason. what should i buy for the rear??

woodford says they had no listing for rear brake pads

Spirit
11-08-2006, 09:11 PM
I am more than happy to have standard Mitsy rears and they are reasonable price too....under £40 IIRC ?

calum
11-08-2006, 09:16 PM
I tried greenstuff when I first got the car and seriously considered taking them out and using them as a template to cut out a bit of plywood to replace them with - I'm sure the plywood would have provided better pedal feel and more stopping power.

Utter crap. Save yourself £45 and DO NOT buy EBC greenstuff for your VR4. But the DS2500s (which I have never tried but plenty others have) or Mintex M1155.

Cheers,

Calum

psbarham
11-08-2006, 09:19 PM
i have heard excellent reveiws about carbotech pads , 104 quid for the fronts , if you want some send a PM to the tyrant on the mlr

orionn2o
11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
cheers... and all you guys have standard mitsi rear pads too??

HJM
11-08-2006, 09:25 PM

Yep, no problems here, 6 pot KADs on the front do most of the work

Nutter_John
11-08-2006, 09:26 PM
I have standard mitsi rear , no issues with them mind you most of the braking is done by the fronts which are minitex (brembo)

Spirit
11-08-2006, 09:31 PM

At the moment yes, and no reason for any complaint.

Got some Brembos and DS2500's sat waiting to go on when my new wheels arrive but only because they were cheap

Kalle
11-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Greenstuff tend to get a litter hotter and therefore more likely to cause the discs to warp!

All according to the largest retailer of brake upgrades in Sweden

Kieran
12-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Sorry, but I will never buy DS2500s after my experience with the set on my vr-4 when I purchased it.

In my opinion, poor bite (no better than the Black Diamond 'Predator' pads I switched to, and they de-laminated on me... something that the 'Greens' have a bad reputation for.

I believe EBC used to make a poor product - they were taken over at the back end of 2003 (I think??) and quality and reviews have taken an upswing.

richy rich
12-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Ive had the ds2500 on the front for 18 months (25000 miles) now and i took a look at them the other day they don't look like they have been in there more than a month (1000miles)

and they still pull my car up exactly as i want them to.

orionn2o
12-08-2006, 10:56 AM
just spoke to mitsubishi.. 76 quid for rear pads apparently!

cos its an import! Is that right??

Rikki
12-08-2006, 12:26 PM
i would not buy green stuff, the car is too big and heavy for them. i have red stuff on my GLS and they work great tbh, very little dust and they seem to be lasting a while. green stuff for the back though, as the reds need slight warming up to be totally effective. :thumbsup:

conaboy
13-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Switching to DS2500s soon, have EBC reds on just now. They are ok in normal driving even if they need a bit of temp in them to be effective.

When you start pushing on tho and braking hard its a different story, they are utter crap! At one point I had smoke belching out from both front wheels and absolutely no brakes.

Wouldn't recommend them

Kalle
13-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I have red stuff on now (since I got them for only £20, special price hehe)
And so far they have worked great! Or maybe it is because I have the full Brembo upgrade.. It really stops quick!

scoobyDAZZA
14-08-2006, 06:16 PM
i had the red stuff ceramics on my scoob , , , utter crap........

changed to ds2500 , , very good , , have done alot of miles and a few track days and i'm replacing with the ds2000 , not as good but half the price , will give them a go , i do have 335mm discs so any good pad should work well with them IMO .

just purchased discs and pads for the front of my galant 2500cc, 24v , auto , v6 , 1998 , standard , £68 :) for all items, and free fitting from a mate ;)
that is trade price though and mates rates :)

colVR4
18-08-2006, 08:56 AM
I have to change my front brake pads on my BREMBOs after only 8,000 miles. I stupidly put on EBC Red Stuff pads, which have not lasted at all. I have been looking at either DS2500 or MINTEX. The difference in price is quite a lot (£150+ vs £90+). Are the MINTEX a decent pad?

I-S
18-08-2006, 09:38 AM
I have green stuff front and black diamond predator rear on my GLS. The Greenstuff are a little better than the predators I had on the front before but not a lot in it. Both are significantly better than mitsu oem pads, although I had one set of black diamond predators that crumbled, and had problems with black diamond discs. Given K's comments above, I think BD should be ruled out on quality grounds. No problems with EBC so far.

Rikki
18-08-2006, 09:43 AM
judging by the reports on this thread am guessing the EBC are not good for the VR4, but more than adequate for the V6 and GLS.

Personally I have no problems with the Red Stuff, lasted 8000 miles already and there is much more than half the pad left. I had Green Stuff on my previous Galant and that was a bad choice, hence the move to Red's.

I am still going about with the standard setup just now on my V6, no problems as yet, however I feel a change soon. :D

Wodjno
18-08-2006, 11:03 AM
I think the 1 problem with this thread is that DS2500's are being compared against EBC Greens. :stop:
Thats like comparing a Evo FQ300 against a Subaru 2.0 ... :vogel:
Yes ! Its EVO against Scooby, but a Turbo Charged Evo with 300bhp against a Normally aspirated Scooby with nearly half the BHP !!!

1 Pad type does not make a company /Elmo

As mentioned above, there are Redstuffs, Redstuff Ceramics, Yellow Stuffs and Blue Stuffs. All given different performance charachteristics.

I myself think Red Stuff Ceramics mated with the EBC Turbo Groove Discs are Very Very Good. I have been running this set up on my car for over 2 yrs and have no complaints. :) ( But do i drive like Pansy I here you Ask ??):vulcan:

I know there are people out there that have tried Reds and thought they were cack and people who have tried the Turbo Groove Discs and thought the same. But theres not many of you out there that have matched the 2 together /Hmmm
In another thread about suspension it is talked about the importance of matching the right Shocks with the right Springs ! But when it comes to Brake Pads who Whack Any Old Pad with Any Old Disc /duh Then when the Pad doesn't Pull the car up very well, the reply is " These Pads Are ****":uhoh2:
It maybe not that the Pad is **** it maybe down to the Owner of the Car who just hasn't got the right match of disc and pad together./wall

Anyway :undecided Thats my rant over /nag /nag /nag /nag /nag

And only In My Humble Opinion :laugh:

judging by the reports on this thread am guessing the EBC are not good for the VR4, but more than adequate for the V6 and GLS.

Personally I have no problems with the Red Stuff, lasted 8000 miles already and there is much more than half the pad left. I had Green Stuff on my previous Galant and that was a bad choice, hence the move to Red's.

I am still going about with the standard setup just now on my V6, no problems as yet, however I feel a change soon. :D

colVR4
18-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Agree with you completely Glenn, but I have EBC disks with EBC Red Stuff Ceramics pads. The pads have worn away and now need replacing after only about 8,000 miles!!!

I wouldn't say that I drive particularly hard on my day-to-day commute but these pads seem to have worn very quickly and they do tend to kick up a lot of dust.

I was interested in the DS2500 as they are meant to last longer, but are more expensive. That is why I was wondering if the Mintex were a good compromise.

Rikki
18-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't say that I drive particularly hard on my day-to-day commute but these pads seem to have worn very quickly and they do tend to kick up a lot of dust.

I have found a vast improvement between the standard pads and the EBC red stuff ceramic. There was almost no visible dust off the red stuff, compared to that of the original. is it possible you have a problem with the brake setup? (just a thought :) ) i am sure i read somewhere on this forum that the DS2500 create a lot of dust as well.

Personally when i get round to replacing my setup, I would get EBC discs and pads.

Wodjno
18-08-2006, 11:38 AM
I have found a vast improvement between the standard pads and the EBC red stuff ceramic. There was almost no visible dust off the red stuff, compared to that of the original. is it possible you have a problem with the brake setup? (just a thought :) ) i am sure i read somewhere on this forum that the DS2500 create a lot of dust as well.

Personally when i get round to replacing my setup, I would get EBC discs and pads.

The reason the Red Stuff Ceramics where down quicker on Cols car compared to yours and that there is more dust :rolleyes4 Is because the Turbo Groove Discs are Grooved and dimpled and very good at deglazing the pad, thus having near on Zero fade it 99.9% of braking. But as they deglaze the pad they are wearing it down i little quicker to and also producing the excess dust.. /yes
On a solid disc the Pad would Glaze over and thus result in brake fade in extreme braking conditions.. :shocked:

The deglazing charachteristics of the Turbo Groove Discs was prooved by myself at the Nurburgring earlier this year ... After taking my Yellow Stuff Pads down to the metal, i scavenged The Vee's Old Pads out of the bin, which he had changed the day before, as they had glazed over. I put them onto my car and after a few miles of braking they were up to the job of seeing 7 more laps of Spirited dring round the ring.. Oh yes, and the Journey beack to England :thumbsup:

Rikki
18-08-2006, 11:41 AM
The reason the Red Stuff Ceramics where down quicker on Cols car compared to yours and that there is more dust :rolleyes4 Is because the Turbo Groove Discs are Grooved and dimpled and very good at deglazing the pad, thus having near on Zero fade it 99.9% of braking. But as they deglaze the pad they are wearing it down i little quicker to and also producing the excess dust.. /yes
On a solid disc the Pad would Glaze over and thus result in brake fade in extreme braking conditions.. :shocked:

The deglazing charachteristics of the Turbo Groove Discs was prooved by myself at the Nurburgring earlier this year ... After taking my Yellow Stuff Pads down to the metal, i scavenged The Vee's Old Pads out of the bin, which he had changed the day before, as they had glazed over. I put them onto my car and after a few miles of braking they were up to the job of seeing 7 more laps of Spirited dring round the ring.. Oh yes, and the Journey beack to England :thumbsup:

My Red Stuff's were fitted with Rossini Drilled and Grooved discs! /yes

Wodjno
18-08-2006, 12:08 PM
My Red Stuff's were fitted with Rossini Drilled and Grooved discs! /yes

Oh ! /Hyper

But they would still have different charachteristics to the EBC TG /yes

If i remember right the Rossini's only have 3 grooves and 3 lines of drilled holes ?

Wodjno
18-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Oh ! /Hyper

But they would still have different charachteristics to the EBC TG /yes

If i remember right the Rossini's only have 3 grooves and 3 lines of drilled holes ?

:bananadan

colVR4
18-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Nice theory...expect for one itsy, bitsy, minor detail....

...my disks aren't grooved OR drilled!!

Rikki
18-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Nice theory...expect for one itsy, bitsy, minor detail....

...my disks aren't grooved OR drilled!!

/Hmmm

Wonder how your going through the pads so quick?! Shouldn't happen! :sick:

colVR4
18-08-2006, 03:48 PM
well, when I said that I drive my car quite sensibly....

...I lied!! I do drive quite quickly, so I only have myself to blame I think :)