PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 GDI. Turboed? 5speed manual

zyrofillica
12-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Hi tech gurus!

I hail from Singapore, noticed a few VR4 members in here from my country. Am driving a Galant 8G with a GDI 2.0 Invecs II Autobox. The costs of owning a turbo car here is ridiculous, (if u have read vr4ever's posts) so i was thinking of doing some "illegal" Mods like turboing and maybe a 5 speed manual swap.

Do any of you have any advice or know how to goabout turboing a 2.0L GDI? Or for that matter whether there is a 5 speed manual/auto tranny built to match the 2.0l GDI? Did a forum search but nothing turned up. I know Ralliart has a 1.8l turbo and the pajero has a 2.0l GDI but ralliart has been unhelpful with my queries. knowing many of you here have experience with the 2.0 GDI, Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks~

Wouter
12-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi mate,

Welcome to the club!

There are not that many GDI's in the UK, we have never heard of one getting turboed....

Maybe the NZ chaps have some ideas for you!

Good luck on what sounds like a cool project! :thumbsup:

zyrofillica
12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Hihi, thx for the warm welcome.

Has anyone turboed the 1.8 and 2.4 GDIs? If they have then i guess it should be basically the same setup. As for gear boxes, does the 8G offer 5 speed MT other than the S-VR4? USDMS use the FTO drivetrain but i was wondering about the GDI. Any NZ guys can help out? Im sure you guys are feeding on our 2nd hand GDI exports haha /pan $5k for a car!!! :5shots:

Gly
12-08-2006, 11:24 PM
yes there are 5 spd mt GDIs and sorry cant really help with a turbo other than
saying put a 4g63 evo motor in it, its what the US boys seem to be doing....

also the GDIs, run a very high compression ratio, which is not good for turbo'n at all.

there are plenty of GDIs here in nz, but are not favored by the boy racer types,
they dont run very well on our lower octane gas, which lead to expensive repairs if they are

Kenneth
14-08-2006, 03:15 AM
The GDI pajero has a turbo from factory, so you can apparently buy a factory turbo kit. expensive though, and probably not really worth it.

zyrofillica
14-08-2006, 08:52 AM
yes there are 5 spd mt GDIs and sorry cant really help with a turbo other than
saying put a 4g63 evo motor in it, its what the US boys seem to be doing....

also the GDIs, run a very high compression ratio, which is not good for turbo'n at all.

there are plenty of GDIs here in nz, but are not favored by the boy racer types,
they dont run very well on our lower octane gas, which lead to expensive repairs if they are

Know of anyone getting rid of their MT GDIs soon? I'm looking for a 5MT that can fit my 2.0l GDI block. Does the resources of VR4 club have the exact part number for this transmission so i may broaden my enquiries? Many thanx!

Gly
14-08-2006, 09:23 AM
if you want parts try

www.kempys.co.nz

they will ship overseas

zyrofillica
16-08-2006, 10:06 AM
hey. thanks for the link :sweethear