PDA

View Full Version : manual upgrade

orionn2o
12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Read somewhere about someone wanting to fit a 6 speed evo 9 box in their VR4 in place of the auto. How feasible is this as an idea??

Just curious

Nutter_John
12-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I think it has been discussed before , can't remember the answer but i think the bell housing would have to converted and I'm not sure about the drive shafts .

would be very nice though . The vr4 gearbox is the same as an evo 5/6 as far as i know - I sure i will be corrected if i'm wrong :)

bradc
12-08-2006, 09:21 PM
That was probably me. It is possible, however between the evo 5 and the 8/9 they changed a lot of things.

Obviously you'd need to do bellhousing work, but the bigger problem is that the transfer case is in a completely differant position, it is now above a brace in the engine bay, and further back.

Thus you would need to do some big modifications to the back of the engine bay, front axles, driveshaft going to the back, new transfer case, etc etc. It was going to be about NZ$12k in total, which simply isn't worth it, and we still didn't know if it was going to work.

For about $4k I can get a 5 speed manual dropped in with a clutch, pedal box, etc etc.

Wouter
13-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Mo (Zedy1) did a manual conversion... and I think it cost him about £1200 but then he did it himself and had the gearbox just lying arround.

Buying the Box, clutch and flywheel are expensive bits, then it is just labour and know how. I would think you would be looking in excess of £2k to convert.